Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What temperature is too cold for skiing?

PaulBrown_
PaulBrown_
What temperature is too cold for skiing? This is a question we get all the time. If you’re looking for a short and quick answer, here it is: It is too cold to ski when you think it is too cold to ski.

Temperatures are relative. 5° F (-15° C) on a sunny day can feel warmer than 20° F (-7° C) on a windy, snowy day. There is no definitive temperature telling you when it’s too cold to ski.

So our best advice is to take some measures to keep warm and try to ski. Return to the lodge or a warming hut if you feel cold as soon as possible. Drink some hot water and then try again.

Additionally, since cold weather can cause serious health issues, if anyone is complaining of the cold, respect that and call it a day.

Stay Warm Tip #1: The Right Clothing

Wearing the right ski clothes makes a big difference when it comes to staying warm.

This doesn’t mean you have to buy the most expensive brands. It does mean dressing yourself and your children in the best coat, pants, mittens, and layers you can afford.

1. Ski pants and jackets should be waterproof and insulated.

2. Socks and baselayers/long underwear should be synthetic or wool, never cotton.

3. Fleece pullovers, down sweaters, and down vests are excellent mid-layers.

4. Mittens and gloves should be waterproof and insulated.

Stay Warm Tip #2: An rechargeable hand warmer

If your hands are easy to get cold, you might want to try a rechargeable hand warmer.

I recently tried an Ocoopa Union 5S rechargeable hand warmer lately, It’s very well-designed, easy to use, and provides steady heat for approximately 15 hours constantly. When your hands get warm, your body will get warm soon. On the contrary, if your hands stay cold all the time, your body will feel cold as well. So rechargeable hand warmers are really essential things.

Stay Warm Tip #3: Stay Dry

Cold and damp ski clothing and ski boots will make you feel cold and damp. Especially when skiing with kids, bring along extra socks, mittens, and long underwear, just in case something gets wet. Also, you should dry your boots thoroughly, after each ski day.

Stay Warm Tip #4: Eat and Drink

Hunger and thirst make everyone cold. Take frequent breaks to refuel, rehydrate and warm up. Never skip your lunch.

All in all, Extremely low temperatures can cause serious conditions like frostnip, frostbite, and hypothermia. Additionally, if you're skiing with your kids, when kids are having fun, they may not realize that they are cold. If you can, help your kids to get warm before they complain of being cold, like using the Ocoopa rechargeable hand warmer mentioned before.

Take good care of yourself and wish you happy skiing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good advice.

I remember a few years ago in the three valleys it was -19c and was -27c with windchill. That was chilly but we still had a great time. Got a pint outside once and the larger was freezing as I drank it. Neh Neh

The only time we really struggled as on the long chairlifts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting long form spam.

Below -20c is almost always too cold to ski enjoyably.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I like my spam fried so hot, not cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, indeed, I almost read it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve been skiing in -25°C on a cloudy day wearing a poorly made C&A ski outfit and I was fine. No rechargeable b0ll0cky hand warming thing either.

If you’re going to try and flog tat, this approach is probably more suited to a barrow boy market in London somewhere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From C/Sgt Dave Boulton RM (Retired, but I hope still kicking), arctic warfare instructor, ML qual and nice bloke...

C.O.L.D

Clean, especially base layers. Dirt reduces the fibre's efficiency.
Overheating. Avoid it.
Layers. Three thinner is better than one thick one, not just for the obvious reason.
Dry and Don't! Stay dry and don't ever keep people waiting around in cold weather. (He was grumpy if we messed with the latter.)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 3-12-22 15:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Charliegolf, good advice! Especially the last point. Nothing worse than waiting around when it’s effin cold, the wind is blowing and snow is falling…unless one happens to be in a nice warm Hutte, right by the Kachelofen…
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my experience, it doesn't seem to get very cold in Europe any more when I've been to the alps. For the last 10 years or so, 3 or 4 winter trips a year it hasn't been any more than a few degC below zero.

Just me?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JimboS, Was down to about -15 at some point when I was in Les Gets a few years back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JimboS, When waxing race skis, I only use the warmest temperature range stuff now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's actually not so much the cold as the wind and cold together and the resultant wind-chill.

Minus 8 at 2,500 with 35mph blowing is akin to -30.

At least once or twice a season you can find yourself in such conditions as the wind picks up and the only sensible option is to try and get off the exposed parts of the mountain as quickly as possible, and invariably the lifts close at altitude when the wind is that strong.

I cycled up to the Col du Lautaret a couple of days ago when temps had dropped to -5 here in the valley at 1,400, sun was out and at Noon it was very pleasant in the sunshine even though it was only +2.

The ride up I was very comfortable trying not to work up too much of a sweat, as if your clothing gets wet you can get very cold, which is the same strategy as ski-touring in very cold temps, such as I've encountered in Japan and Siberia (circa -20's).

At the Col circa 2,050m my bike computer was showing -1, and in my extra-large saddle bag I was packing an extra jacket, thicker gloves, thermal beanie and two buffs, my feet were already protected with neoprene overshoes as I knew how cold the descent would be, and at 60kph + the wind-chill is freezing and with the shorter daylight there were a couple of stretches where I was in the shade and that exasperated the cold even more, plus there is always the paranoia of ice, but in these conditions, the roads are very dry.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, I got caught at the very top of Cervinia with weather like that. I had swapped my sticks for a plank so was a newbie and wouldn’t have been able to get all the way down. Same for my then girlfriend (now wife) and my brother’s girlfriend (now his wife). My brother left us at the top to get the gondola down whilst he boarded down.

We waited for about an hour in the gondola, with the bl00dy doors open, whilst the operator was eying up the wind, hoping it would calm down. It didn’t, but as it was getting dark they decided to go for it anyway. I’ve never been so terrified in all my life. The gondola was swinging like a pendulum and they had to keep on stopping it so that the swinging would calm down, with limited success. It took about 30/40 minutes for that gondola down to the mid station.

That was 20 years ago and Ive never been on a large gondola since.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in VT during that big freeze in 2018 which even affected the UK quite a bit. It eas supposedly -20c or colder on some days at the top of the slopes.

The worst bit was on long exposed chairlifts with lots of wind-chill. Something to cover your face and neck is essential.

When skiing and staying active it was fine. As already mentioned layers are your friend although you do not need to overdo it. Three layers is probably the right number.

Do not be tempted to wear more than one pair of socks. You will actually end up with colder feet as your feet get sweaty and your boots will be more likely to rub.

If you have a beard it can be a double edged sword as the moisture in the air will freeze on it and you probably won't realise that you have been skiing with a block of ice on your face until the end of the day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

But he’s not selling anything, is he?

(Didn’t the read it in detail. So may have missed it)
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
PaulBrown_ wrote:

TLDR - when a dog licks his nuts & his tongue sticks.
latest report
abc wrote:

Not yet.

It looks copied and pasted from somewhere else, there have been plenty of spam posts recently where someone adds a link some time afterwards.
snow conditions
You just copy and paste the name of the hand warmer - for sale on Amazon. Not too tricky. wink
ski holidays
I had a day once at Hunter in upstate New York.

Minus 70 or something like that!
So cold that at the bottom and at the top of every lift a member of staff checked you over and if there was any amount of exposed skin showing at all you were not allowed to continue. Goggles only, no glasses allowed. SO COLD!!

I cannot overstate it....it was SO COLD!
Bearable, only just, in the bright sunshine but as the day went on the shadow of the hill worked across the piste and it was obvious that everyone stayed in the sun because the moment you were in the shade the "just bearable" became totally unbearable, the extra incremental cold hit you like a hammer.
Although the light was perfectly good and it was only about 2.30pm once the piste was fully shaded every single person stopped skiing.

Easily the coldest I have every experienced, Japan in january was positively tropical in comparison.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
abc wrote:

Not yet.

It looks copied and pasted from somewhere else, there have been plenty of spam posts recently where someone adds a link some time afterwards.

Looks like it was lifted from here: https://braveskimom.com/how-cold-is-too-cold-for-skiing
snow conditions
Not that often these days that it is too cold for skiing. More likely to be too windy, too wet or too poor visibility Sad
latest report
JimboS wrote:
In my experience, it doesn't seem to get very cold in Europe any more when I've been to the alps. For the last 10 years or so, 3 or 4 winter trips a year it hasn't been any more than a few degC below zero.

Just me?

Routinely sub -8 C at base station without wind chill, particularly in Jan/Feb. 6 Winters ago we had -15 to -20 C for about two weeks in Jan.
snow report
turboblackbeard wrote:
Good advice.

I remember a few years ago in the three valleys it was -19c and was -27c with windchill. That was chilly but we still had a great time. Got a pint outside once and the larger was freezing as I drank it. Neh Neh.

Did the "smaller" freeze as well? Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
rjs wrote:
abc wrote:

Not yet.

In that case, perhaps the mod want to have a little fun by deleting the rest of the post except the opening paragraph? (And block the obvious spammer)
latest report
@Bergmeister, Laughing
snow report
Wind chill rule of thumb: temp feels around a degree colder for every 3/4 knots windspeed.
latest report
IIRC steel becomes more brittle at -40º so North American ski lifts are closed at approaching that temperature.
snow conditions
HutToHut wrote:
IIRC steel becomes more brittle at -40º so North American ski lifts are closed at approaching that temperature.

Closures at those temps more to do with personal safety if the lift breaks down and you have to be evacuated, I was told when I asked a patroller Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gored wrote:
PaulBrown_ wrote:

TLDR - when a dog licks his nuts & his tongue sticks.

When brass monkeys go looking for welders
latest report
HutToHut wrote:

-45 at Sunshne according to the liftie. It was -43 Inc windchill at the time. I don’t know about steel, but at that stage my beard was getting brittle.
latest report
I managed to impress the missus with the pub quiz question "At what temperature are 'c and 'f the same. Knowing the boiling & feezing points in 'c & 'f I quickly calculated in my head that -40 was the answer.
Boiling = 100/212
Freezing = 0/32 so 100c change = 180f change & 10c = 18f
-10c = 14f
-20c = -4f
-40c = -40f
I guess that many people would just know the answer
snow conditions
Yew, it's one of those things I feel I've always known. But somebody told me, once upon a time. I'm impressed you worked it out in your head in the pub!
ski holidays
Exposed chairlifts with no hood is the comfort killer.

Winter Park, Colorado at -20c with a strong northerly wind, was unpleasant to say the least. Having a multitude of ‘technical’ layers on and hand warming gels barely touched the sides.
snow report
For me i think I can stay comfortable down to about -11/12, less than that then its a few runs and lifts then in somewhere cosy to defrost before heading out again
latest report
Skiing in Cannon ( New Hampshire ) a few years ago in early Feb and it got so cold that my fingures stopped working ...which doesnt help it you need to go to the loo ...walking across the carpark at about 4:30pm I thought I was going to get frostbite in my face ..I think it was about 30c- snowHead

Skiing in the US north east is another experience if you have only skied in Europe
snow report
-30 C
Sunshine Mountain, Alberta, Canada
Was having to pole downhill because the wax was like sandpaper

Not fun
latest report
Faced with some of those temperatures I'd stay indoors. I've skied down to minus 15 with no problem on sunny days with little or no wind, but if it's much worse than that it becomes endurance rather than fun. I am fairly easily deterred by bad vis, too. And as for rain....... Shocked I'd have been more resilient in my young days, with just one week's holiday, but there comes a point, as one gets older, that one just loses that need to "prove anything"! Quite fun to do a few runs in demanding conditions then stop for a four hour lunch before heading home. But I didn't do any lunches, let alone long ones, when I had to pay for a family of 5.
ski holidays
Spam/troll or not, nothing wrong with the topic.

I get cold easily, had the first-generation heated boots back in the late 80s.

Coldest I've skied in was -25 C (northern Vermont), was horrible, only lasted an hour. We used to ski a lot in VT when I was a kid and really hated those cold, gray days. Old timers will remember the horse blankets at Stowe.

On the plus side, with global warming, I'm OK most days. Anything under -15 C and I'm probably not going out at all. I just don't enjoy it. But I do love those heated 6-pack lifts you see in the Dolomites now!
snow report
no such thing as too cold just poor preparation.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
no such thing as too cold just poor preparation.

To a degree (hah!), I think there is truth in that.

- Once it heads over -20 Deg C, exposed skin is a big issue

- From the point of losing heat, Windchill is a big factor....and is where I personally have have felt most miserable

- IME in -20 and colder, I think extra heat is needed for feet and hands (or very warm Mitts)....and a balaclava/googles are crucial

- Outer Layer must be windproof/waterproof/breathable.....and a base layer that wicks away sweat is a must. Those exposed chairlifts are hell.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy