Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valloire to Valmeinier for a scaredy cat?

Poster: A snowHead
Lost my bottle in high winds at top of Montissot lift in Valloire and ended up sideslipping down top of goulet and snowplough turning on the steeper bits of armera to get back to Valmeinier.

if I can’t master this f’in fear I think i’m gonna have to give up skiing all together Sad

So - gonna give it another go - what is the least steep route back from Valloire to the Armera chair??

I wish the ski busses linked the resorts!

I also wish there was a speed limit on green “road” pistes - beginners or scaredy cats like me making turns and people schussing at high speed is not a good mix Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you could take coombe to grapil until you get to the top of the bunny slope & drag lift. Should then see a route to the armera chair.
I cant remember how it compares to Armera though. I do remember Armera being narrow & steep in places - at least that is how it felt due to the drop on the left!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have a car drive over to Valloire, it’s easy to get to with plenty of parking and if you’ve not been before it’s a nice village to have a wander around.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimummk, sorry to hear that. Miserable, and not easy to recover your confidence. Windy weather and the drop described by @Gored is a nasty combination.

You know what people here are going to suggest, don't you? Finding the right kind of instructor for a private lesson. Might be worth a go - explain exactly what your problem is.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimummk, I haven't been yet so don't know the routes yet, but the weather is looking much better today and tomorrow, with some sun (especially tomorrow) and much lower winds (in fact it should be perfect tomorrow morning). Things often look less scary with the sun out, low winds and great visibility. I've got everything crossed that you have a better day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haven't skied Valloire for a few years but way back when we managed to get a nervous skier over to Valmeinier by skiing Combe and Grapil.

Don't beat yourself up - sideslipping and snow ploughing are all tools in your skiing toolbox.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-01-24 11:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

sideslipping and snow ploughing are all tools in your skiing toolbox

Absolutely. I have always done lots of sideslipping and I thought I was quite good at snowploughing until I tried it on cross-country skis. Embarassed However, if you are using those tools because you are really screwed up and scared and miserable, that's different.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2-3 hour session one to one with an instructor who's been fully briefed on your fears/insecurities will do you a power of good. Maybe have your ski partner along too, to observe what the expert is saying to you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skimummk, @pam w, Sorry, missed your advice Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Charliegolf wrote:
Maybe have your ski partner along too, to observe what the expert is saying to you.

Maybe this is a recipe for divorce, it would be with my wife!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not if you promised to keep your mouth shut, maybe.

I've skied with a number of men who were critical of their wives' skiing and tried to give them advice. They've mostly been poor skiers (certainly worse than me) often relying on brute strength and bravado. I've seen similar dynamics on boats.

And @skimummk has not suggested that her partner is unsupportive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Maybe have your ski partner along too, to observe what the expert is saying to you; and for them to know when to stay schtum!", is what was in my head.

"And @skimummk has not suggested that her partner is unsupportive." Neither did I.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But the response from @Orange200 did!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do think partners can be a problem, but they can also be a huge support. Some are, some aren't!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think there might be a bus to link the areas but it doesn't go very often, takes about 45 mins and you have to pay extra for it.
latest report
It's about 7 years since I was there but if I recall correctly Armera is actually a really nice long winding run. There are two steep bits, both quite wide and only about 80m long, the trouble is from your perspective that they are both followed by long flat sections so everybody who can is going flat out, especially on the first one. I'd suggest keeping towards the outside of the bends after the first drop
Nevertheless, it is one of the most scenic pistes in resort so just try to focus on how great it is to be out there.
snow report
So today we did Combe and Grapil again from the Grand Drozes and apart from one little panic on the Combe bit (hard to describe but I did fine on the steep bit at the top then ended up stuck on the right of the piste where it goes up at the side and I just couldn’t bring myself to turn left Laughing - on the plus side my sideslip is coming on a treat!)

After a late lunch I came back over to 1800 and husband went to the top of Combe and as he says I’d probably have been fine but I want a get out if I decide not to ski back.

I haven’t had a private lesson this week because the one I had here in 2020 wasn’t great, it was very ESF “follow me” no real discussion. Part of me thinks a hypnotherapist would probably be more effective than a ski instructor.

I really liked some of the runs in Valloire and there’s a couple he wants to do again, but he really doesn’t want to drive in case we can’t get parked - so we might ski over and he’ll come back for the car at the end of the day if I bottle out (i’ll take my kindle!)

The upside of this plan is a lot more skiing for him and the driving will be after the lifts have closed.
ski holidays
Good work on the long lunch! Left turns are overrated and side-slipping is very 2024 so it sounds like you have completely nailed skiing this week Cool
You are in the mountains, travelling around on skis, eating fine food and making sound decisions. I see no downsides to this.
latest report
hubby has a video of me coming down on my ar$e on Wednesday - haven’t seen it yet but suffice to say I can recommend Dare2B salopettes for strength and waterproofing Laughing
snow report
@skimummk,
There is lots of parking in Valloire. A decent sized car park just passed the Carrefour on the main street + further parking near each gondola (but I'd prob park near the supermarket) No need to worry about that! Just head over early & grab breakfast over there!

Slightly confused over which runs you have tried. I thought initially it was Goulet you was having problems with (& yes Goulet is quite steep when nervous) that joins almera.
Coombe splits & you can go around & under drozes to join grapil, or split right again & take a blue back over to valmeiner, but I cant for the life remember how easy/difficult it was. I think there is a steep sharp bend to deal with - but that will bring you to val 1800.
snow conditions
The bit I struggled with most was just after you come off escargot to head to goulet - a very short, wide steep bit that if it had been nice would probably have been fine. Other bit? the very bottom of lutins, the short steeps on Armera

However, if a slope is empty I can get down all of them - I got down an empty arcosses no problem and that much steeper than

So I just need the fast skiers to give me a wide berth Laughing

or a hazmat jacket?
ski holidays
skimummk wrote:
The bit I struggled with most was just after you come off escargot to head to goulet - a very short, wide steep bit that if it had been nice would probably have been fine. Other bit? the very bottom of lutins, the short steeps on Armera

However, if a slope is empty I can get down all of them - I got down an empty arcosses no problem and that much steeper than those

So I just need the fast skiers to give me a wide berth Laughing

or a hazmat jacket?

we haven’t got up early enough - so we’re going with plan B - see how I feel after doing other blues like seles and he’ll come get me if I’m not sure about the return trip
snow report
Selles is the one with the hole in the ground toilets... dont stop there if you need toilet Toofy Grin
snow report
@skimummk, good luck! Looks like it's going to be a sunny day.. enjoy!!
snow conditions
selles toilets - word to the wise - don’t lean back if you lose balance - got flushed Laughing
snow conditions
So, plan B worked - for any nervous or beginner skiers here is our route - all pretty easy blue/green

Anglaises from Hauts de Valmeinier
Neuvache
up Girodiere
Roches
up Grandes Drozes
Combe (kept to right side - no probs!)
up Monuel
Escargot, Selles (drink stop)
Myosotis
Moulin
up Moulin Benjamin
Verneys
up Verneys
Lunch at Thimel
Myosotis
up Montissot
Selles (again)
up Montissot (again)

then we split:

me - Escargot, download on Cret de la Brive,hot chocky and cookie in nice tea bar/patisserie

long suffering hubby - Escargot, Combe, Grapil - across on Armera, up Roi, chardons to apt, quick cup of tea then drove to Valloire and back to Valmeinier

Tomorrow we have a half day before getting back to Geneva - plan is to do some of the blues in Valmeinier to finish the week on a positive note.
snow conditions
skimummk wrote:
selles toilets - word to the wise - don’t lean back if you lose balance - got flushed Laughing

I did warn you Laughing
The steps leading down should have been enough for the horrors ahead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy