Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie gear

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, full disclosure, never been but always wanted to. Being from a less affluent background I've been concentrating on ££. Plus I couldn't work if I broke a bone. Career is flying now and I'm eager to get stuck in. I have a family (three of us) and I'd like to kit everyone out with half decent gear. Any recommendations for brands or do'/don'ts?

Cheers everyone!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Decathlon
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and ebay
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As well as Decathlon

TK Maxx
Sport Pursuit
Lidl / Aldi
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Decathlon

I’d second that. Lidl and Aldi also have some bargains but I think you’ve probably missed this seasons offers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The most important piece of kit is the boots. Take all 3 of you to a shop that has good amount of boots to choose from. Try several. Don’t be tempted to buy the ones that feel “comfy” - they’re probably too large (size too big, last too wide) and end up burning some hot spot in a couple of hours once buckled tight. Think of a firm but not crushing handshake wrapping around your lower leg and foot where you have room to wiggle your toes just a little bit when leaning forward. Check cuff alignment: take off the liners and stand in the boots’ shells: the cuff should have a similar amount of space on both sides (left-right) when standing up. If not, the shop should align the cuff for you.

No need to spend extra on poles, any cheap pole will do. I feel many beginners tend to pick too long poles - too long are just in the way and don’t help you find the right forward-leaning posture.

Skis can be bought second hand, you’ll save hundreds. As a beginner I’d recommend you to go for something reasonably narrow, piste-oriented. Like mid 70-low 80 mm underfoot. If buying pre-owned aim for something 2-5 years old. Forget “two sheets of metal” etc., a beginner doesn’t benefit from a stiff burly ski. As for the length, skier’s length -7…12 cm could be a decent starting point.

Bindings don’t matter at this stage if they just work with your boots. If you bought Grip Walk boots, the bindings need to be Grip Walk compatible.

Helmet, goggles… just buy what you like and that fits the budget. It’s a good idea however to buy them at the same time so you can test them together - some combinations leave a big gap between the helmet and goggles - just looks weird and your lower forehead gets cold in freezing temps. Or in opposite direction, a goggle that fits nice when tried separately might get jacked down when paired with some particular helmet model, leading to pinching/pushing your nose uncomfortably. And as goggles are made to different lighting conditions (ranging from whiteout to sunshine) pick something from the middle of the road that works somewhat in all conditions.

What else… clothing. Layers. And dedicated reasonably thin ski socks, that go up your calves almost knee high. Not tennis socks. The only thing between your skin and the boot liner should be the sock. Roll up the base layer if you don’t - and you don’t need to have - 3/4 length base layer. Failing to do this (if you have a pile of sock&baselayer tucked into the boot) will lead into blocked circulation, burning and tingling.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 2-01-24 21:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The most important piece of kit is the boots. Take all 3 of you to a shop that has good amount of boots to choose from. Try several. Don’t be tempted to buy the ones that feel “comfy”

Don't be tempted to buy anything. Daft to advise total beginners on a budget to buy boots - or skis. Rent them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ True, but on the other hand renting gear for just a couple of weeks and paying £xxx would go a long way in acquiring one’s own kit if that’s where they end anyway.

Guess it’s a question of how often do you think you’ll ski? If it’s one week a year, then just rent. Never tried and not sure all three of you like it? Just rent for the first week or so. Anyway that’s less hassle lugging ski bags around etc.

But if it’s 2 or 3 weeks a year from here on to the foreseeable future, buying one’s own becomes justified.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go Outdoors / Decathlon / Trespass / Mountain Warehouse / TK Maxx

Don't skimp on gloves or socks - rent everything else
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As the above have said. Dont buy boots yet.

Give it a go, see if you like it first. Dont be afraid when renting boots to ask for a different pair if you dont like the fit.

Have a blast Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Belch wrote:
Don't skimp on gloves or socks...

...or half decent Goggles, with a lens that copes with flat light, but doesn't blind you if the sun comes out (or get photochromic from the likes of Bolle, if on offer)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, thanks everyone for the detailed and honest feedback. See you on the slopes!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree don’t buy boots skis or poles. Work out if you all want to do it again. Clothing - eBay. I think Dare2B and trespass do decent stuff on a budget. I’d happily ski in a good waterproof jacket and lay underneath rather than buy a ski jacket. Get decent gloves - snow shepherd look decent for the money. Get decent socks look on sport pursuit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I agree don’t buy boots skis or poles.

Absolutely. The learning curve for your first couple of ski trips is so steep that if you bought gear as complete beginners, it would most likely be the wrong gear a couple of trips later.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certainly for children hit eBay for jackets and trousers - most gear only gets worn for 1 or 2 weeks before they out grow it so loads out there.

Three areas I wouldn't skimp though are socks, base layers, and gloves - but you'll easilly get 2 days wear out of socks and merino base layers and I'd rather push quality ones to 3 or even all 6 days than buy multiple, cheaper ones. And again for gloves ideally buy ones that have wrist straps - or if they don't buy some elastic and spend 5 minutes sewing on some loops. Children can lose gloves without leaving their bedroom and you'll see loads of adult gloves laying under chair lifts where someone's decided to check their phone/the piste map/etc.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Belch wrote:
Don't skimp on gloves or socks...

...or half decent Goggles, with a lens that copes with flat light, but doesn't blind you if the sun comes out (or get photochromic from the likes of Bolle, if on offer)

Fair point on goggles; esp for adults (kids can cope with basic goggs IMO) Would also recommend Bolle - if only because if you get a Ski Club GB membership you can get a 40% discount across all items. Saying that the discounts elsewhere are pretty good (inc Go Outdoors from memory) so a first year membership would pay for itself if your fitting out a family of 4x etc

Re wrist straps for kids - an absolute must! If they're small (under 8yrs) the elongated versions (cord that connects to each glove and runs from arm to arm and around the back inside the jacket) are a must to stop gloves getting lost on day one - older kids you can buy aftermarket camera straps from ebay and usually attach via a loop knot / small caribiner
ski holidays
Quote:

Children can lose gloves without leaving their bedroom

Laughing For older kids/teenagers I'd warn them that if they lose their gloves they can use their allowance to replace them. When mine were old enough to ski off on their own, with cousins or mates, I'd also let them decide how much of their own money to spend on lunches. It makes a vast difference to what they consider "essential" and taught them about the concept of "opportunity cost". Cool We always had a big stack of small choc bars for them to put in pockets at breakfast time.
ski holidays
I'm with @pam w, for first time skiers rent boots and skis. They are very technical items and without any experience it is impossible to know what to buy. If all goes well and you want to go again then your own boots would be well worthwhile but take advice here about where to buy and get them properly fitted (NOT an internet purchase). With skis I would wait until you are becoming competent and have experience of several pairs of rental skis (make a note of models and sizes that worked, or take photos of them, that will guide the shop in suggesting something suitable to take you forward).

You don't actually need a ski jacket, you are pretty likely to already have a suitable outdoor jacket. There is no problem skiing with a waterproof shell with fleeces layered up under as needed - the only thing you will miss is the dedicated pocket on your left arm for the lift pass (put it in an inside pocket where it won't get accidentally dislodged, the machines can read them through a couple of layers of clothes). However there is no problem buying something sold as a ski jacket if you want since they are anyway useful as sporty-looking winter coats.

However you do need salopettes (insulated waterproof trousers). Cheap ones are perfectly good, and you can then replace with posher ones if you keep on with skiing. And you will need ski gloves and a few pairs of ski socks. And then base- and mid-layer thermals, which you might have anyway.

I would buy a helmet for adults, but children's helmets can easily be rented (and are often included with ski rental). Adult helmet rental tends to cost as much as buying a basic helmet from somewhere like Decathlon or Trespass, and they are all built to the same standards.

My view is that basic goggles are fine for a first trip, you can always go for better once you have more experience. It is usually easiest to get kids wearing goggles under all conditions, but many adults prefer good sunglasses (need a wraparound model) unless conditions are dire.

Have fun!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
We always had a big stack of small choc bars for them to put in pockets at breakfast time.

...which you find are still in their pockets when you pick them up from ski school and they complain they are starving, the little idiots Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy