Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salopettes for children who wear adult sized boots

Poster: A snowHead
My children are 10 and 12 and roughly average height. 12 is about 158cm/5ft 2 and 10 is just over 140cm/4ft 6. However, their feet show that they are destined to take after Mr. O (6ft 2, size 12 feet) and be tall. 12 currently wears adult size 9 shoes and 10 wears adult 5.5.

In ski boots, this means that salopettes for their age don’t fit over the boots as the boots are too wide to get the elastic gaters over. I’ve got around this by buying 12 a pair of mens size small salopettes and cinching in the waist as he’s got an athletic build, but 10 is even tinier around the waist and doesn’t have the leg length to pull off adult salopettes. Yesterday, he just wore them bunched up above the boot, but it didn’t look especially comfortable.

Are there any brands that allow more generous size around the cuffs, whilst still fitting a child? Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-01-24 17:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Judging from the thread title I thought this was going to involve gunpowder in some way.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stupid iPad autocorrect! All changed now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My tall, skinny, big-footed 11 year old grand-daughter was wearing a pair of Decathlon trousers with adjustable length. Hers were let down to their longest, and were fine - she's worn them for years, as she's grown. But I'm not clear whether you are looking for trousers which you can put on and off whilst wearing ski boots - something I've never thought of doing!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, it’s not the length I’m looking to adjust, it’s the width of the elastic at the bottom of them. Children's salopettes are too narrow to get over adult boots, so they end up bunched between the top of the boot and the knee, as we can’t get them down over the boot. I can’t put him in adult salopettes as they’ll drown him, and unfortunately adult ski boots are huge but there’s no other option with his massive feet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My grand-daughter's Decathlon trousers sat nicely over her adult sized ski boots. She struggled a bit renting boots as she is very slight - needed very flexy boots. But she was happy with the ones she got in the end.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look for salopettes without the elasticated gaiters (probably of the cheaper more basic variety)?

Then ensure they have zipped sides as that might help too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive seen kids ski boots going up to 25.5, which is a large 6 - can you not get a kids 24.5 or 25.5 boot for 10? Or is it that they have boots already, which happen to be adult boots?
To be honest, if you can get a junior boot it will be much better for the child's skiing, because it will be designed to flex for a kid's weight and leg length
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Junior boots would be much more preferable. We always hire, and I make it clear that these are for children at the point of hire. Yet these massive boots still seem to come out.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For nearly all my adult life I wore protest boys kids ones age 12-14 they were baggy snowboard style ones which personally prefer the look of. I’m 166cm & size 6-7 adult boot. I mean being a woman it might not be comparable, but I always check the kids sizing as I’m slim and don’t really need the hip thing from women’s stuff and protest is pretty cheap. Never had an issue with getting bottoms over boots & using the budget hired ones until age 34 I have probably never been given a women’s specific boot as the stuff I’ve generally hired has been absolutely junk.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jnr was a size 14 shoe at the age of 14. I think he was an adult size 9 at the age of 9 - one trip this caused a lot of amusement to the staff at the hire shop we used in Cervinia. He pretty much always wore Decathlon salopettes and never had a problem getting the elastic over his ski boots. He did sometimes have to wear a belt/braces because the waist was a bit too big.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like Decathalon is the way forward for 10 then. We don't have one near us to try them on, so I need to pay for delivery, which is why I wanted to be sure ahead of ordering.

Thanks all!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Owlette, you could perhaps also try unlined shells?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Owlette, just spoken to my OH. He also had Dare2Be after Decathlon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our 10yo is in 14yo decathlon snowboarding bottoms. He’s in adult snowboarding boots and we almost cut the damn things because we could NOT get them over his boots without breaking nails! We’ve just ordered a “new” pair from a well knows snowboarding brand to try for our trip in 6 weeks. I think I’ll make him try them on with his dad’s boots before we leave Eh oh! .
snow report
@MouseInLux,

You're feeling my pain then! It's infuriating! Good plan to make them try them with his dad's boots. I've got my own boots, but they're too small for him to try on. I'm the resident shorty at 5'0 with size 5 feet.
snow conditions
Both kids are still shorter than me at 5ft5 but both have my shoe size already (EU40/41). I’m hoping the 12’s feet are done as she’s had the same shoes size for over a year now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy