Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waterproof zip repair

Poster: A snowHead

Is it possible? Are they manufactured with some kind of glue that's available to Joe Public?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No expertise but if it were mine I would just hand stitch it, possibly adding a smear of silicone sealant also (but checking the sealant didn't react with material or zip first).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gear Aid glues are what you want to look for. It's all in the prep though so plan ahead!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What brand? Some will take it in for repairs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, Airblaster.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowheid, There's no stitching in the rubbery bit. Would making holes in it not cause it to tear?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Thomasski, Cheers. I'll look them up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By rubbery bit, do you mean the darker section under your thumb? If so, those are holes from the previous stitching that has gone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Thomasski, Any idea which product is best? There are a few that *might* be suitable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, Yes I do. I see them now you point them out!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@greengriff,

Well I'm no expert but I would restitch the zip and then apply Aquaseal to the back of the stitch from the inside and clamp until cured - it'll be fiddly on a pocket so have some dry runs first.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or you could drop it by LSR if you don't fancy the stress?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did mine with Stormsure fabric glue which is flexible. So far, so good. Superglue went brittle and fell apart after a short time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@greengriff,
Duct tape. Hardcore Madeye-Smiley wink

Is it in warranty, or can you convince the manufacturer to fix it? I've had this happen on a few items of ski clothing from various brands and they've fixed it and taped it if necessary.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Thomasski, These people?: https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/outdoor-clothing-repairs/

I need it shortly, so no time until after this season ends probably.
latest report
@Klamm Franzer, Thanks. I'll look into it.
snow report
Give Zigzags a shout. If it's doable they'll sort it.
https://www.zigzagsalterations.co.uk/
snow report
@stuarth, It's out of warranty unfortunately. It's had very gentle use (I've never even fallen over in it that I recall) but I doubt I'd be able to convince the manufacturer of that.
snow conditions
@Scamper, Cheers. I'll keep that noted down.
snow report
I would simply restitch it. This type of waterproof zip is only water resistant. The actual teeth are not waterproof and may let water through, the rubberised tape stops water soaking in and causing real issues. The stitching may let a small amount of water through so if worried then a smear of copydex on the back will be sufficient.
ski holidays
@tarrantd, Thanks.
snow report
You could try these guys ... https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/
Haven't used them yet, but they quoted a 2week turn round for zip replacement vs 46days by LSR, just before xmas
snow report
That zip has definitely been stitched in, rather than glued.
I've used something called Seam grip to stick a pit zip back in on a jacket that had welded seams. It worked very well, till the other zip and the neck seam went too. Its branded either Gear Aid or Mcnett.
If you are anywhere near an Alpkit store, they do repairs in store.
My jacket was17 years old, though, so I got given a new one for Christmas!
snow conditions
@JonA, Cheers.
snow report
@karin, That might be a quick solution to implement before I go away at the end of next week. Do you know if the glue can be removed when the time comes to stitch it properly?

If this lasted 17 years I'd be over the moon. It was hardly cheap, and it's coming apart in a couple of places after only a few weeks on the mountain Sad.
snow conditions
@greengriff, I don't think the glue would come off, it wouldn't be doing its job very well if it did! If you do the glueing properly, you won't need to stitch it as well.
BTW, it was the jacket that was 17 years old, not the glueing on it - the glue was about 2 years old, and the rest of the jacket was just falling apart around it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy