Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner skis vs Intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello. I’ve just finished my 5th ski trip - probably ski’d for about 20 ish days in total.
I hire my equipment each time and usually choose the “beginner” option. However, I find the skis pretty big and cumbersome. Sometimes it feels like I’ve got two clown shoes on!
Im happy with blues and can get down a red, although I find it challenging.
Would I be ready for intermediate skis the next trip? What’s the difference between the two?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Beckiboo, skis are like anything else really... on a general level the more expensive they are the better they are. But then within that there are things that one person may appreciate more than others.

First thing is it sounds like you only ski piste so you can rule out all mountain skis. Second, it does sound like you are skiing fast/harder so there will be certain skis that you may struggle with. Third, to some extent, is budget.

Easiest way is to just tell the hire shop about yourself - height, weight, sex and age, what your experience is and what type of skiing you are doing. And let them decide. Then, if after a day or two, you don't like them, just go back to the shop and tell them what you don't like. Then they can try something with other characteristics.

Make a note of what skis you use and what you like, so that when you hire in the future, or buy, you can get the same or something with similar characteristics.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Beckiboo, Sounds like you've got a way to go yet. Shorter skis may help, but the feeling you mention is more about learning to use them better, and more experience of course.

At your stage I'd say the main difference will be the stiffness of the ski. For a beginner a more flexible ski will be more forgiving, which is good (i.e. it doesn't react so quickly or strongly to the tiniest bit of movement, many of which you won't yet have fully under control); for a more advanced skier the stiffness allows a better level of control, more precision in your turns, more stability at speed.

You need to ask yourself whether you're wanting more control or more forgiveness. Yes, as @Layne suggests, you can ask the rental shop to let you try different skis through the week, maybe specifically asking for a stiffer ski that's similar in other characteristics (length, turn radius) so that you can experience first-hand what the difference is, and whether it helps or hinders. If you can't really tell then there's no point in going for the more expensive option, but do spend a couple of days getting used to them to allow you to make the right choice for next time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Beckiboo, hi there. Lost of people will have their own view but my advice would be to try use a shorter ski, about up to chin height. Lots of us used to ski on big long skis back in the day and it’s true that a longer ski is more stable at speeds, but I seriously doubt you’re going to take a shorter ski to the point it’s losing stability.

I find a shorter ski builds confidence as generally they’re easier to turn and certainly can help progress from skidded turns to a more carving style, IMO anyway. As your technique progress you can go slightly longer if you wish.

Also, have you considered your own boots? Any direction change in the ski obviously starts with the the skier via legs and feet to the boot and then the ski. If you’re in rental boots they’ve been worn by multiple people with differing shapes, lumps and bumps etc. They’re not going to be the best fit for you or offer the most direct link between you and the ski. Your own boots, professionally fitted, will give the most direct feel from you to the ski, with minimum “backlash”. Take your boots and simply hire the skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy