Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self-servicing vs store-servicing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been servicing my skis for years (waxing, minor base repair and side edge sharpening) and have been on the tuning course with Jon at thepisteoffice (which is excellent and I would recommend and note I am not getting any commissions out of this!).

I'm debating if it's worth getting my skis serviced by a ski store next time I'm out. I've been doing some research on google and going through some threads here and the result seems to be mixed. Some says it's better to have skis serviced once a year by a ski shop as after all they are pro but I've also seen some argues most shops probably wouldn't put as much care into servicing your skis as they have tonnes to go through each evening (so they would just machine dip your skis in some wax) so you might as well do it yourself.

Both sides of the argument seems to make sense so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I'm mainly looking to get some minor base damage fixed. In the past I have ptex'ed most of the obvious base damage myself however there remains some small cosmetic scratches that are either not worth my time or too shallow to be ptex'ed. I'm hoping the pros might have a way to fix those and that's the only reason I'm considering getting them serviced. I don't think those scratches affect my skiing or the integrity of the skis so I'm not too bothered if they can't repair those (but I guess I'm bothered enough to ask a question here!)

I would not consider getting my skis sharpened by a shop as (1) I'm quite comfortable doing it myself (2) they take off too much metal
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They’ll get rid of superficial scratches by doing a base grind of the ski. Too many base grinds and you take life out of the ski. If the superficial scratches aren’t affecting the ski too much why bother trying to fix them?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

If the superficial scratches aren’t affecting the ski too much why bother trying to fix them?

Exactly. If they are just cosmetic no need to worry.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My criteria for a base grind is how scarred the edges are on the base bevel and also has the structure gone from the base - if both then get a base grind and then you can redo the base and edge bevels to your own spec and also re-prep the bases. Who you trust to do the base grind is the biggest conundrum. Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never had problems with loss of structure other than when a number of large repairs have been done (pennine skiing) or dry slope use. I have had a number of base grinds done for the same reason @snowheid, states. I have never had a pair of skis where the bases have got too thin, they have always gone soft / dead long before that point is reached.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy