Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Rather spontaneously bought these Outdoor Master socks.

Quite quickly worried that maybe I shouldn't be trying to cut costs with the socks, particularly if I can get some 3/4 pants and I'll be relying on these to keep my lower calfs warm.

Thoughts on if these would be good enough for just general resort skiing, or is it worth paying the extra for something like Falke or Smartwool?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only reason to go for Smartwool (I use the thin ones) is a)they don’t smell and b) they are on sale regularly.

I’ve tried both and they are great.

On a serious note. Socks that get to just below the knee mean you can use 3/4 base layers . I prefer that to an accidentally scrunched up base layer inside my boot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree trying to cut costs means generally that you are compromising somewhere, I'm happy to spend proper money on socks to get them right. Personally, I would prefer to go with the compression version. Yep, 3/4 length base layer is the way to do it as @GlasgowCyclops, says.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree trying to cut costs means generally that you are compromising somewhere, I'm happy to spend proper money on socks to get them right. Personally, I would prefer to go with the compression version, Yep, 3/4 length base layer is the way to do it as @GlasgowCyclops, says.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having done a few days on my first ski trip in what I thought at the time would be suitable socks....and my feet being on fire for those days...I would not skimp on socks ever again. Only Falke go on my feet now. Started in SK2s and now wear SK4s.
Yes they are pricey but you only need 2 pairs really. Wash one pair in the evening in the sink, dry the next day whilst your wearing the other pair. They do go on offer quite often as well. Picked up both my pairs from Sports Pursuit for less than £20 each.

*I do have odd feet though. So have to be more careful with what I put on them. I'm sure others could wear a pair of Sports Direct finest Donnay socks and be fine!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Compression-Running-Socks-Black/dp/B07BKZM24J/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=karrimor+compression+socks&qid=1702720471&sr=8-6&tag=amz07b-21

I have been running and skiing in these for the last 5 years. Just bought a new pair as two of my last pairs have been darned to threads and holes keep appearing in my toes.

I would recommend them. 5 stars

I think they are much cheaper in store, perhaps they were on sale.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 16-12-23 10:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You darn socks, @Bigtipper? if you can do that without altering the texture of compression running socks you are a better darned darner than I am.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, yep, I also find it useful that they have L and R on the socks so I don't put them on the wrong foot!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look on sport pursuit. The Untrakt socks for £12 are great. Son has these and he is on second season in Tignes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am pretty sure I got my pair for £8 and 2 pairs of sports pants for £8 making £16 so the online price is not the same as in store price at Sportsdirect at the moment. I think they also had an offer of 2 pairs for £12 so it could be even cheaper (might have been £14)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Worth getting very long and very soft socks for those unfortunate trips when you get stuck in a back country hut with bad weather for a few unplanned days and someone uses all the toilet paper to light a fire.

Speaking from experience here.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hang11, Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Feet and hands are as always priorities. Given that ski boots are vital, it’s worth getting decent socks such as Falke. They also make sure you put them on the correct feet! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bigtipper, beat me to the L@R thing Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have used smartwool socks for years, their thinnest range are great, never paid more than £10 -£12 a pair as you can often find them on sale somewhere at the right time.

They do come up on sports pursuit at times Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I keep thinking this thread must be about puppets, or chains. But those debates are going on elsewhere.......
snow report
I happen to like CEP Ski Ultralight compression socks very much.
snow conditions
Falke socks (silk) I think SK4’s are by far the best i’ve ever had in 30 years - yes expensive but just remarkable considering how thin they are, try and you won’t ever change!!
snow report
Another vote for the thin smartwool socks. Absolutely love them. Keep my feet so much warmer than thick Falke socks and fit my boots so much better.
snow report
danbre2022 wrote:
I happen to like CEP Ski Ultralight compression socks very much.

Me to.
My sock of choice, they work realy well.
snow report
SK4’s for sure. Especially that they now do a rear entry version compatible with Nordica HF boots.
snow report
@Cem speaks highly of TEKO -- or at least he did back in the day (2011 !!)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71097

https://www.tekoforlife.co.uk/
snow report
Another vote for Falke SK4s … after a lifetime of trying various different ones I alighted on these about eight years ago and have never worn anything else subsequently.
snow conditions
Blackblade wrote:
Another vote for Falke SK4s … after a lifetime of trying various different ones I alighted on these about eight years ago and have never worn anything else subsequently.

Impressive.
After eight years are they about due for a wash by now?

(Apologies from me. I am trying to avoid NYE and the post above is obviously the wine talking, not me)
snow report
No point in spending anything more on socks than either Aldi or Lidl varieties.

They do a job, keep your feet warm, wick well and don't wrinkle.

What more do you need ?
snow conditions
JHS wrote:
Blackblade wrote:

After eight years are they about due for a wash by now?

Give it a couple more years I think … don’t want to rush into anything Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy