Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to base grind?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am a diy home ski tuner. I’ve been on the excellent course run by Jon at The Piste Office and this has served me really well for many seasons of servicing.

I currently ski Salomon X-Wing Tornados and X-Drive TI’s depending on the conditions. My X-Wing Tornados have a few minor scrapes on the base but nothing too major. It has been quite some time since I had a base grind done - I maintain the side edge at 88 degrees and wax them regularly. For the base edge I only really lightly polish this with a diamond stone.

If I was to get a grind done will the shop just take a bit of material off the base and add back in the structure or is having a grind done going to mess up the base edge angle? I realise that a grind would mean a major wax afterwards as the built up layers of wax in the base would be removed.

Having taken so much care over my skis through the home servicing I am wary of a shop just slamming them through a machine without much care.

Regards
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could you not send them to Jon for a base grind? At least they will be treated with care and expertise.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

That is a possibility that may have to be done ! Shipping them would cost a pretty packet and unfortunately I live quite some distance from The Piste Office.

I’m off to La Plagne (staying at Aime 2100) in January. Does anyone know a good shop in resort who could treat them with a much love and care as I do ?!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Leroux in Plagne Villages has a good reputation within my ski racing circle of friends in La Plagne, the resort where I've spent the past 2 seasons. I haven't personally used the shop in quite some time though, so it's not a full on recommendation but more a possibility.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy