Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BEV's in the French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Battery Electric Vehicle take up in the French Mountains is a little slow, but there are few chargers, chicken and egg I guess? But see below from La Plagne town hall on Facebook

Quote:
Given the significant growth of electric vehicles and increasing customer demand for charging points, the municipality of La Plagne Tarentaise wanted to install charging stations for electric and hybrid vehicles.
Following a tender launched in June 2023 a public domain occupation agreement was signed with TOTAL ENERGIES CHARGING SERVICES.
This agreement provides for the installation and operation of 13 checkpoints distributed throughout the municipal territory by this company by the summer of 2024
Eh oh! For the winter season, 4 charging points of 300 kw on Plagne 1800 and 2 charging points of 300 kW on La Plagne Montchavin have already been set up.
Eh oh! These charging points are located:
- At the entrance of the mines parking lot in Plagne 1800
- Road of the replat to La Plagne Montchavin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for sharing ! There are 2 chargers in Valloire Centre and its nearby village Les Verneys as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've got a family staying with us who drove down from the Netherlands in their Tesla, only to discover the complete absence of chargers here. The nearest ones, over in Chatel, were apparently full every time they tried to use them so far, so last night they ended up parking here at the chalet with literally zero kilometres of range showing, then had to use the very slow mains charger. Even that overloaded the circuit a couple of times, given the socket was on a 10A breaker shared with our kitchen (the microwave and/or fryer were too much for it). Left it on all night - haven't seem him today to know how much it took, but probably nowhere near a full charge in that time.

So yeah, I'd advise anyone driving to the Alpes to seriously consider how much time they're going to waste searching around for vacant charging spaces, and whether they're convenient for skiing, shopping, eating etc.

Do your research in advance, not when you get here. (Although TBF these guys had only booked a day beforehand, having cancelled their previous booking at snowless la Bresse, up in the Vosges. Then again, that also shows a lack of research, as it's a tiny low resort with a very low chance of decent snow at this time of the year).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Austrian Tirol, TIWAG have chargers in a lot of ski lift car parks, and other resort car parks. They are compatible with a ChargeMap RFID card. The main consideration is that they changed the pricing last season to charge by duration as well as (or instead of) energy consumed, so it can be expensive if left on a type 2 charger for a long time - that said, it does give an incentive for people to not overstay
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@viv, Yes, I could imagine that without such an incentive people would park their cars at the charger and simply leave them there all day, blocking other from using it. Is this time+charge used pricing not normal elsewhere then?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Given the problems it would be totally unfair to allow anyone to sit on a charger all day. I was at tiny Bisanne 1500 in the Espace diamant yesterday and there were two chargers, one vacant, one with ICE vehicle. Parking is at a premium . The resort is rammed. There needs to be a massive penalty for ICE vehicles taking these spaces or EVs staying once battery charged.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Is this time+charge used pricing not normal elsewhere then ?

It's not that common; most pricing is purely based on energy consumed. Tesla charge over-stay for time still connected after charging has completed.

I expect it will become more common for pricing to change to discourage people from blocking chargers. The over-stay approach makes sense for rapid chargers; most of the TIWAG ones are AC up to 22KW, so time+charge makes more sense
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not all chargers are equal I've discovered in two yrs and 35k.

You want 7-15kw for overnight home or accomodation.
22kw for a 2-4 hr stop like a city or shopping trip
100 plus for an en-route charge to help you get where you are going.

45 to 80 is IMHO a bit of a waste of time as too quick for a park and leave it scenario and too slow for a mid journey charge.

I think most of these were installed in the early days of EVs when people didn't know better or are there due to what power infrastructure there is physically in the road to tap into.

Just realising this as looking to route across the Jura to montriond tomorrow in order to avoid geneva -cluses-les gets NYE crowds Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree on different chargers for different use cases, though it depends on the car. We've a 3 year old Kona that can only accept a max of 11 KW from an AC charger, so we only get 11 KW from a 22 KW charger (older Konas could only take 7.7 KW AC). Also the max DC rating is 75 KW (though I've got up to 82 KW at times)

Many EVs can take 100+ KW, but not all for all parts of the charge curve. In the context of a (primarily) UK forum about skiing, most long journeys are multiple stops, where it does make sense to optimise stopping time, but if you're doing a trip of, say, 250 to 400 miles you'd probably need only one charging stop, and may not choose to do it at the optimal time for charging, so ~50 KW may be fine

The lower end of rapid (40 to 100 KW) is useful for meal-time stops. We've found several pubs just off the motorway in the UK that have 50 KW chargers that are perfect for a fairly speedy pub meal stop
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our MG will only go up to 50kW so it's a useful option. Most public chargers will put it out as well as higher rates
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy