Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

on the piste ?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone remember a programme on tv about 20 years ago comparing Wengen to Soll ? I think it was called on the piste , am I right ? and if so can anybody spare me a copy , I will pay of course.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads, James.
Sorry - can't help with your quest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James,

If there are memorable features in the programme it would be very difficult to recover except talking to the TV company costing an arm and a leg.

People here may be able to tell the difference between Soll and Wengen now but not 20 years ago ?

Wengen is in Switzerland and is the biggest among the three un-linked resorts of Grindelwald, known as the Junfrau Region, the other two being First and Schilthorn. Was there about 2 years ago. Wengen or Kleine Scheidegg-Mannlichen has a mountain train service and is blessed with famous mountain range of Eiger, Moch and Junfau. The last is probably the highest point one can reach by a train.

Soll is now an integral part of the Austrian fully linked Ski Welt Wider Kaiser Brixental circuit with 8 resorts. Apart from Westemdorf which is unlinked all the other 7 are linked. Soll may not be fully linked 20 years ago though. The charm is still there as I had tea in Soll last Christmas. I left the wife in Soll (she was tired and wanted to stop) and skied myself to the next resort Scheffau (about 3.8 miles away) to collect the car. Remember it very well as I was able to communicate with her all the time with Personal Mobile Radios (PMR or modern walkie talkie) which are known to have only a 2-mile range.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
james, welcome to snowHeads. I remember this program. Was it really 20 years ago? I think it might have been. I have tried a quick internet search and a look round the TV sites (can't remeber if it was BBc or ITV), but all to no avail.
I suggest you contact BBC and ITV direct by phone tomorrow, and I will ask SCOG (Ski Club Of Great britain) if anyone there remembers it.

It was a fun program, with a clear agenda to contrast a rough-and-ready group learning to ski at Soll with the worst of SSSSCGB (Sloan Square and Surrey Ski Club of GB). Soll was portrayed as Benidorm-in-the-Alps, but the learner group still came across as fun but well-grounded. Wengen was portrayed as Old-English-Village-on-the-Alps, full of ghastly toffs with too much money who drank too much and then played ridiculous games and couldn't ski though they thought they could.

It would be good to see it again. I wish you well in your quest to find a copy. If you do find one, can I have one too?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I remember it well,recorded it on video at the time, and watched it again and again,crying with laughter at the beginners trying to get off a chair lift.I also would love to see it again. BTW it was called "on the piste".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and the Wengen group was a bunch from the DHO (yes I am a member no I was not there at the time) Unfortunately as with many programs of a similar nature it played to the audience, however it was still very funny.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi DG - long time no speak. I thought if anyone had a copy of that video it might be you. No such luck I suppose.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I recall correctly one of our number was actually in this film, but they don't like to talk about it... I believe this came up in a discussion on SCGB!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had it on tape until a few years ago. It contrasts (and takes the p1ss out of) a couple of overweight middle-aged package-tour beginners in Soll and a group of stereotypical rich snob DHOers. If you have anything in common with either group, you'll find it extremely irritating, but for the rest of us it's an absolute classic ski film.

On a SCGB holiday a few years ago I was talking to an old chap who had been on the SCGB board and swore that certain people in the film were "plants" who had been paid by the TV production company to behave like idiots. He was not amused!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in it, well my reflection anyway (which is probably as well come to think of it), my dad and brother, if I remember, both appeared in it not as reflections though but only briefly. I was only a kid at the time.

It was made in 1987 and I do have a video of it though I think I would have to copy it if you want it as my parents at least would not appreciate me giving it away!! It was shown on BBC1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plake is right - it's an absolute classic ski film. As Jonpim says, doing a quick websearch doesn't give any details on it, although there are several references to the John Godber comedy play of the same name, which is also very funny. I saw this at the Derby Playhouse (in 1991 I think) - has anyone else seen this play?

As regards the TV film, as Annehillskiing says it was made in 1987 and at the time I recorded it (on now obsolete V2000 format!), but more recently I transferred it to my PC and burnt it to CD in VCD (mpeg1) format. So james, Jonpim, and Knee Deep, since it does not seem to be available elsewhere, if you do desperately want to see it, send me a PM with your addresses and I can burn a few more VCDs (these will play on a PC and most, but not all DVD players) and send them to you (as a gift, so that there is no question of commercial copyright infingement Smile - I guess this is then no different to lending a videotape to a friend )
P.S I hope this doesn't mean I get "snowed" under with additional requests for copies otherwise I may have to decline! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink,

Only a telemarker can pull off a stunt like this!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Alastair,

Just returned from Wengen today, and I called at the DHO office regarding the BBC1 documentary "On the Piste". Unfortunately there was no-one at home. We used to have a copy of it, but it was lost. My family and Ski friends have had many laughs over the years watching the video, and I am keen to get another copy. Is there any chance you might be able to get a copy to me...? I would be happy to pay you some cash for your trouble and of course to pay for the postage costs.

Kind Regards,

Derek Roberts
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BoardofDevon, welcome to snowheads snowHead s Whats wrong with Devon Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Remember the beginner Kevin in Soll..... made a pigs ear of everything...wonder if he is still skiing...?
snow report
BoardofDevon, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead I have sent you a PM (Private Message - click on Send/Read Messages at top RH of this page))
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Remember the beginner Kevin in Soll..... made a pigs ear of everything...wonder if he is still skiing...?

Perhaps he's a snowHead? Could Kevin please step forward and make himself known...
ski holidays
Someone gave us the DVD of this show when we met with snowHead for a ski test at Castleford. I might be able to get it copied if you wish.
Jules
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
Someone gave us the DVD of this show when we met with snowHead for a ski test at Castleford.

Jules That was me Toofy Grin - did you like it? I'm waiting to hear back from BoardofDevon[/b]
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk,

Opps... Laughing
snow report
Alastair Pink, Hi Alastair

I have been given your name.. hope you don't mind..but I'm keen to buy a copy of "On the Piste" you mention above..any chance?..it's a present for my wife.

Hope you can help..

Bill Puzzled
snow report
Hi there - I know this is an old thread, but I've been desperate to get hold of the "On The Piste" documentary for years for my mum who nearly wet herself laughing at it when it first came out. Would love a copy if anyone can help. Cheers! Ad
snow report
Alastair Pink, Hi Alastair - any chance I could get a copy of "On the Piste"? My mum loved it so much and wishes she still had her copy on video. Can you help? THanks. Ad
ski holidays
Ooh - missed this one! I remember being acutely embarassed by the programme, being a good racing DHO-ite and having (all my life) tried very hard to pretend that the apalling lot shown on the prog don't exist! Shocked
snow conditions
There was a very funny series of books called Back On the Piste, Totally Piste, and Piste Again. Wonder if they were related to the film in some way? Don't think I saw the film. Looks like I missed something.
ski holidays
pistenbully wrote:
BoardofDevon, welcome to snowheads snowHead s Whats wrong with Devon Puzzled

I think he's either on the Board of Devon (in which case I'd like to ask him why he and his colleagues don't do something about Exeter) or he is referring to a bodyboard, a cultural artefact peculiar to Devon and Cornwall but much prized by visitors to the region. If he was just fed up with the place he'd be BoredofDevon or BoredwithDevon and anyway, who could possibly be that?
ski holidays
the_admeister, I will send you a PM.
snow report
james, the_admeister, welcome to snowHeads!!!
I have this on DVD I THINK - a snowHead gave it to me last year, I'll see about copying it, I know nil about copying DVD's but my tech friend will tell me how (thanks Robogeek) - I'll have a look for ya!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

pistenbully wrote:
BoardofDevon, welcome to snowheads s Whats wrong with Devon

I think he's either on the Board of Devon (in which case I'd like to ask him why he and his colleagues don't do something about Exeter) or he is referring to a bodyboard, a cultural artefact peculiar to Devon and Cornwall but much prized by visitors to the region. If he was just fed up with the place he'd be BoredofDevon or BoredwithDevon and anyway, who could possibly be that?

richmond, thankyou for clarifying that for me.
ski holidays
JT wrote:

I remember there was a lot of speculation at the time that "Kevin" might have been an actor "planted" into the documentary to add humour. The only real foundation for this theory was that no-one could believe that anyone could actually be that unco-ordinated...

Kevin, if you were genuine and are reading this, many apologies. I hope you learned to ski eventually and were not put off by that experience.

Kevin, if you were indeed an actor, now could be the time to step forward...
ski holidays
Martin Bell, I vaguely remember Kevin and he was indeed, hopeless. However, he may well NOT have been an actor, because to be quite truthful, I was a bit of a 'Kevin' myself. The first 2.5 days I was on skis were amongst the most miserable, painful and embarrassing of my life. No co-ordination whatsoever, no sense of direction, no control - easily the worst in the class. Then - Lo, on the 3rd Day, it clicked! I can't remember if it ever clicked with Kevin, but I am now a thing of grace and beauty on the slopes. wink Kevin may just have been a slow (sloooow) stater too snowHead
snow conditions
I don't remember Kevin - I think I turned it off in embarassment, but Madaboutsnow, if you had such a bad time at the beginning then your teacher wasn't doing his/her job well. there is absolutely no need for beginners to fall and fail repeatedly. This is usually caused by ski teachers rushing the first couple of days. Very Happy Glad you stuck with it though - lots don't, and that's sad.
ski holidays
I also have this on video. loved it cos we used to stay at the Falken, where a lot of the dho bits were filmed. very funny, but also v embarrassing! glad the ski world is not like that anymore...
snow report
Hi All
We are desperatly looking for a copy of this preferably on DVD but will gladly take any format. We would obviously cover any costs incurred! Would give anything to listen to Brenda and Maureen chatting on the lift about the lack of underwear they wore!!!
Beanie1 you say your in manchester which is our neck of the woods any joy finding the video?
Any help would be much appreciated as we want to give it as a present for my Dads 60th birthday, he would be made up.
Cheers
Mike & Helen
ski holidays
I never realised this film was so good, I'll have to search out a copy myself to see what all the fuss is about.

Welcome to snowHeads BTW mikeyfish.
ski holidays
Hi, Ive been looking for on the Piste for ages. We have it on video from when it was on tele but a few years ago it got left in player and half of it taped over. Does anyone know where i could get hold of a copy of it?

Thanks

Keith
snow report
try http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00008T514/ref=sr_11_1/026-4790553-7516452?ie=UTF8&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
Odin, That's a different film!
ski holidays
maggi, Oh ! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Thanks but i was meaning the one with Kevin in it and the 2 trips, one in Wengen and the other in Austria.

Keith
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy