Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spring Skiing- flying into Zurich

Poster: A snowHead
Im looking at taking two families (3 adults-4 teens) on a budget-ish trip to ski in Europe this spring break. We will be going March 29-April 6 and will be flying into Zurich.

Any good recommendations for where to go based on our situation above?

We are assuming we will be taking a train (and possibly bus) from Zurich to our destination.

We are looking at Ischgl in Austria but are open to areas that will still be good late season and serve a variety of skill sets.
I would love any suggestions on locations, sites for packages (are they even a good deal), or tips on how to best do Ischgl if thats the right choice? TIA!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt? Very easy to get to by train (one change at Visp I think). Loads of high altitude skiing in the resort and across the border in Italy. Plenty of terraces to enjoy the sunshine

Not cheap though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @mdbru, Welcome to snowheads.
Here is a good tip:
Buy your tickets from DBahn advance from Singen to Zermatt
It works out at €29 single if you buy it in advance far enough.
See seat62.com
You'll find lots of good info there.
You can board the train at Zurich nobody bats an eyelid. (We do it and go 1st class)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry seat61 not 62
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flying into Zurich and Budget-ish aren't that compatible. Heading to Austria will be much cheaper than staying Switzerland
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Davos
2. Ischgl
3. Laax / Flims
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:
1. Davos
2. Ischgl
3. Laax / Flims

Any idea of the costs around Laax/Flims? I've heard the housing/food costs can be pricy if we stay in switzerland?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The lift passes are expensive, on a variable by demand system, but can by upto 80CHF a day.
ski and boot hire also v pricey
chf20 a pizza eating out
there is a supermarket near the lift in Flims if self catering

you can price it all up on https://www.flimslaax.com/

I have a mate there, who's place I can use, so no idea on hotel / apartment costs, but its cheaper for me to go to Italy as save more on the "other stuff" than we'd spend on accom! The skiing is excellent though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although it goes pretty high and has a small glacier a lot of the Laax/Flims skiing gets a lot of sun, wouldn't be my first choice in end of March, nice skiing though.

For Ischgl we used to do it relatively cheaply by renting in Kappl and driving in each morning, a very quick drive though you can get the ski bus as well.
See, Galtur or Mathon would be alternatives in the same valley.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
t44tomo wrote:

you can price it all up on https://www.flimslaax.com/.

Thanks for the input!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
a very quick drive though you can get the ski bus as well.

How is the parking if you drive?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@T Bar, What's the skiing like in Kappl?
I stayed there back in the 90's overnight while on route to Ischgl, but that's another story.
That's when we called the route back from Samnaun the "T-Bar from Hell".
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mdbru, None of the places that we are likely to recommend for late season skiing from Zürich are really budget options. Switzerland has a number (not sure Zermatt is ideal late season) Flims & Davos already mentioned. Might be worth checking Arosa too. All easy to get to by train from Zürich. In western Austria the two obvious places are Arlberg & Ischgl. For Arlberg, St Anton has a train station with direct connections to Zürich in the centre of the village, for Lech get the Post Bus from outside the station (there is a slightly nearer station but the Zürich trains generally dont stop there). If you are looking for cheaper accommodation then one of the outlying villages such as Pettneu or Stuben are worth looking at (easy connections to the skiing). Ischgl is one of the best spots for early or late season skiing but it is not cheap, personally I think staying in Kappl or Galtür doesnt really work unless you have a car as the bus connections are not that good. Direct train from Zürich to Landeck (one stop after St Anton) then Post Bus (it is a slow journey down the Paznauntal if you have had a long trip might be better to bite the bullet of paying for a minibus transfer from the station). Great selection of piste skiing, good off piste (though not as good as Arlberg) and very good touring options. I dislike the village and the folk who "own" it but lots of others like the place.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saas Fee or Zermatt and book the Youth Hostels - they’re very nice - Saas Fee and Laax both have spa/ wellness in them too
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
where are you flying from?
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@mdbru, I think staying in Kappl or Galtür doesnt really work unless you have a car as the bus connections are not that good. \

Thanks! Do you know what the situation is like to drive into Ischgl from Kappl or Galtur daily? Is the parking close/affordable?
latest report
hobbiteater wrote:
where are you flying from?
. Grand Rapids, Michigan. I got a good deal using points to fly the family into Zurich
latest report
@mdbru, There are decent car parks for day visitors at Ischgl, only a short walk to the lifts, however they now charge for them in addition to the lift pass! The buses are possible but they are not that frequent and consequently often crowded. Basically the folk that run Ischgl are really focused on those who stay in the "village" folk who choose to spend their money outside must pay in other ways!
snow conditions
@mdbru, Airbnb for the 7 of you in Landeck and then commute to the huge car park in Ischgl every day would be a budget option.

Rented apartment in Davos would also work. Much more s/c accom to choose from in Davos
snow report
Arosa / Lenzerheide worth considering if staying Swiss, has more north facing shady stuff than Flims-Laax. Similar non budget prices though.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
@mdbru, Airbnb for the 7 of you in Landeck and then commute to the huge car park in Ischgl every day would be a budget option.

Rented apartment in Davos would also work. Much more s/c accom to choose from in Davos

All in how do you think 6 days at each would compare cost wise?
latest report
@mdbru, There's 7 of you... It ain't gonna be cheap. USA citizens so I'm guessing that you like your food so..... "All in" I would say 20k USD in Landeck/Ischgl and may be 24k USD in Davos.

Lift passses are 400USD each per week and ski hire not for far short, so - as others have mentioned it's not really a place for nickel and dime ski time

Those costs are based on 5 beers per night per head and s/c eats with perhaps the odd kebab as a treat.
snow report
@mdbru, It is a fair drive down the Paznauntal, even in a car it is around 45 minutes from Landeck to Ischgl, the road does sometimes get closed due to avalanche danger but less likely late March. If you are going to come all this way better to stay somewhere nearer rather than so far away. An advantage is that you could try other areas, Serfaus is near to Landeck and St Anton a shorter drive than Ischgl. However you would be buying day ski passes as the area pass, Snow Card Tirol, is full season only and in any case doesnt cover the Arlberg.

I would say Davos is more expensive than Ischgl, my visits to Davos have been work related for WEF but even so food in supermarkets etc wont change in price. It is a good deal more expensive in Switzerland than in Austria and Davos is not a "budget" Swiss location. Ischgl is expensive too, the supermarket is small and there are not many self catering apartments, even the number of restaurants is limited (there is a Burger King if you are desperate!) as most people will have a half board deal. I stayed in Galtür once, quite liked it a nicer spot though small and fairly easy to access Ischgl, especially with a car plus there is some local skiing (likely to be at its best in March). Best place to look for accommodation in any Austrian location is the local tourist board website, most places not on Booking.com, Airbnb etc.
snow report
mdbru wrote:
T Bar wrote:
a very quick drive though you can get the ski bus as well.

How is the parking if you drive?

Parking is excellent. If you get there early there is a car park close to the lifts (3-5 mins in ski boots with skis) a bit later and you may have to walk a little more for free parking. Covered and not particularly expensive parking is also available.
Edit I didn't see @munich_irish, post and wasn't aware that they now charge.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
@T Bar, What's the skiing like in Kappl?
I stayed there back in the 90's overnight while on route to Ischgl, but that's another story.
That's when we called the route back from Samnaun the "T-Bar from Hell".

There were a lot more T Bars back then, I remember some from my first visit to the area in around 92 I think
Kappl's skiing is pretty good but it is largely south facing and is more prone to ice/slush as the season progresses than elsewhere in the valley.
ski holidays
mdbru wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@mdbru, I think staying in Kappl or Galtür doesnt really work unless you have a car as the bus connections are not that good. \

Thanks! Do you know what the situation is like to drive into Ischgl from Kappl or Galtur daily? Is the parking close/affordable?

loads of parking 5€ a day. There's some good deal hotels along the valley to include breakfast and evening meal. Austrian hospitality in hotels is excellent. We'll be staying 1st week of April in a hotel at Galtur which includes free entry to the pool next door 2 adults 2 children half board 2400€. We'll drive in to Ischgl and oark everyday
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy