Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno transfer advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow snowheads, im looking for some advice on getting 2 of us to Livigno, i have seen some cheap flights to Milan Bergamo (BGY) Sat 24th Feburay 2024 which i belive is the closet airport but looking at the cheapest way of getting to the resort. Any suggestions,hints,tips,info or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Car hire very cheap out of Milano
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If flying I would think car hire is the sensible approach. Livigno is possibly the most remote resort in the Alps, so not easy to get to. We have been there a few times, but I remember on our first ever ski trip I looked at the timings for flights and looong transfers, and thought, heck, I can drive from the UK quicker than that! We have driven on pretty much every ski trip since!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nkenny, yes, car hire would be best shout if you can, it is around 5 hours from bergamo airport.
when i went several years ago, the coach journey was so long that the drivers stopped half way there for a break. there was about 3 (various T/O) coach loads of us, in some sort of truck stop supplied with a baguette and a coffee.
where the coach drivers were on their own table with napkins, proper cutlery and a nice pasta dish, but disturbingly, a couple of carafes of red wine Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's also the Livigno Express from all three of the Milan airports. Someone else on snowHeads used it last year and recommended it I think.

It's not as bad as 5 hours from Bergamo - 3.5-4 hours is doable in a hire car if the traffic is OK. And two routes to choose from - via Lecco or via Lovere (have done both, no particular preference).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went in 2019 and hired a car from Milan. If self catering also allows you to stop at a supermarket on route.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@terrygasson, Many, many years ago my drivers would stop at Colico to have breakfast with bresaola, cheese, coffee and so on. There was also an opened bottle of wine on the table, but they always resisted temptation!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@terrygasson - my first season in Meribel, (90-91) the coach drivers used to stop on the way back to resort for lunch. It was never popular with the guests and was ditched thereafter. That was the first season the Albertville to Moutiers dual carriageway opened.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nkenny, I've done this trip a tonne of times. If we've had a big group we've booked private transfers with Steve at Livignoskiholidays.com. We've always had great minibuses and the trip is usually done in 3 and a half hours or so.

When we've not had the numbers for private transfers, we've used the Livigno Express, or the Livignoskiholidays.com coach. Both have been excellent, though journey time is about 5 hours in total when you factor in a lunch stop in Colico or Tirano. I enjoy the trip, the scenery is great and the lunch is excellent. Just check the coach timetables before booking your flights. An email to Livignoskiholidays.com can help, they're usually very quick in coming back.

I've never hired a car due to concerns around getting winter tyres etc. I would not want to drive the Foscagno pass between Bormio and Livigno without full winters, even if I had chains. Plus I like relaxing and letting people get on with it. Braver folks than me might do OK!

P.s. the cheapest way is via local train and then bus services, saw a blog about it once. Would be a long day though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
element wrote:
@nkenny, I've done this trip a tonne of times. If we've had a big group we've booked private transfers with Steve at Livignoskiholidays.com. We've always had great minibuses and the trip is usually done in 3 and a half hours or so.

When we've not had the numbers for private transfers, we've used the Livigno Express, or the Livignoskiholidays.com coach. Both have been excellent, though journey time is about 5 hours in total when you factor in a lunch stop in Colico or Tirano. I enjoy the trip, the scenery is great and the lunch is excellent. Just check the coach timetables before booking your flights. An email to Livignoskiholidays.com can help, they're usually very quick in coming back.

I've never hired a car due to concerns around getting winter tyres etc. I would not want to drive the Foscagno pass between Bormio and Livigno without full winters, even if I had chains. Plus I like relaxing and letting people get on with it. Braver folks than me might do OK!

P.s. the cheapest way is via local train and then bus services, saw a blog about it once. Would be a long day though!

Great advice thank you for the info Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The last time I went to Livigno the flights were to Innsbruck and came through the tunnel on the Swiss border. It was around 3.5 to 4 hours compared to the 5 hours from the Italian side. Just an idea if you want to look a different options with flights, car hire etc.
Either way just accept it’s a remote location, enjoy the views and look forward to Livigno which is fantastic!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i heard the tunnel was one direction only, is this the case?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's a single track tunnel with traffic lights and alternate working.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nemisis wrote:
It's a single track tunnel with traffic lights and alternate working.

Ahh I see thanks for the info.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, as Nemesis points out it’s both ways but traffic lighted. I’ve driven it myself as well as by transfer coach and it can be busy at the tunnel but it definitely seems quicker than from the other side.

I think it closes at midnight until early morning so worth checking that.
ski holidays
We used to go on package holidays to Livigno years ago and I'm sure we used to fly into Zurich and then have a coach transfer from the airport that used to take 4 to 5 hours.
Looking at google maps it only takes 3 hrs 13 mins but no idea how accurate that is.
snow report
@skichampcouk, @japes1275,
The tunnel belongs to the local hydroelectic company - opening hours and costs are
www.ekwstrom.ch/en/livigno/opening-hours
https://www.ekwstrom.ch/en/livigno/price-list

Back in the 80's there was a catastrophic rock fall in the Valtellina which cut Livigno and Bormio/Santa Caterina off from the rest of Italy during winter. The only solution for flights and transfers was fly to Zurich and transfer from there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Pola_landslide. In the aftermath of this rockfall the level of Lake Como increased by five or six feet. . . . . . .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy