Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Advice; Advanced, Narrow, Comfort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has already been discussed.

56 yr old expert skier; previous racer, bumps, loves high-speed, trees and exploring. I have narrow feet and average calves.

I'm slowing down a bit, taking less aggressive terrain (after a scary inverted, 100 yard fall/slide last year). Still want to ski blacks and occasional double-blacks. No cliffs; keep my skis on the snow. I really enjoy high-speed carving, popping into trees off the side, blue-bumps, and the occasional traverse in search of the goods. I'm a West-coast travel skier, getting 6-10 days per year.

After feeling insecure with 100-110 boots before, I bought great boots 7 years ago; 130 stiffness, with custom insoles. They are painful to get out of and probably more than I need - comfort has become a priority, but I need something that is confident when I need it. So I'm looking for something with a 120 stiffness, maybe performance 110's. Again, narrow flat-ish feet. No good ski shops near by, so am very limited in trying on.

What should I look at?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I might not be the best person to answer as I have made bad decisions for myself, but I think I have tried on enough boots to say this:

Narrow-ish:
Atomic Hawx Ultra 110 or 120
Tecnica Mach1 LV 119, 120
Salomon Alpha Series

Instep height as far as I can recall, low to high: Mach1-Hawx-Alpha.

It appears that with less flex index, you also get a cheaper boot, most appararent in the liner. Might be good enough though and save money. It is consensus that softening stiff boots is quite possible, but requires permanent alterations.

Tons more on the market, though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kyshredder, welcome to SHs snowHead

try some on on your next trip?

(Meantime, get down the gym? Twisted Evil )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a really well fitting atomic hawx ultra 130. I’m 53 100kg tall. Very snug and comfortable my feet are pretty normal have a high instep but nothing remarkable. Step up from my previous 20 year old boots. Don’t find them too stiff but think you need to try and find what May suit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kyshredder wrote:

What should I look at?

A boot-fitter.

But as an ex-racer you’ll know that…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dashed wrote:
kyshredder wrote:

What should I look at?

A boot-fitter.

But as an ex-racer you’ll know that…

you win the internet for the day
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy