Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Ski School Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for some advice on ski schools in Mayrhofen...

Normally it's a simple case of picking a school as they all have the same general meet points/use the same beginner slopes/have the same lesson start times - but that doesn't seem to be the case in Mayrhofen, mostly with a split between the Ahorn and Penken mountains.

We're staying next to the Ahornbahn, but the Penkenbahn only a 7 min walk away so little to choose there. The group's 1 advanced skier, 1 strong intermediate, 2 learning children (solid snowplows/going parallel), 1 non-skier. Ahorn seems to be mainly blues so good for the children - but the 2 skiiers will get bored quickly and hard to do much else between ski school drop off and pick up, and while some, not a huge number of walkable mountain top restaurants for the non-skier to meet us in from the looks of it. Penken has a lot more for the 2 skiiers and s lot of walkable restaurants for the non-skier - but more reds than blues for the children. Then you have some ski schools that seem to meet more towards Horberg which offers beginner slopes and easy access to more skiing for the skiers...but means trying to get the children up even earlier to make first lift to get there each morning (so basically writing that off!).

So what have others done...?

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mjit, it's a long time ago now but our second ever week as learner adults was on Penken, and we had plenty to keep us busy. The options for more advanced skiers are much greater and it is easy to get back to all of the ski school meeting places or to a shared lunch stop. I'd definitely choose Penken for your situation. Kids on their 2nd or 3rd week will progress quickly, and the reds are a mix of relatively easy runs with a few which are much harder.

The Ahorn is a fairly limited area, but don't write it off for the advanced and intermediate skiers as an occasional treat - the top to bottom run is one of the best in the valley, and in more recent visits we've done it three times as a start to the morning before relocating to Penken for lunch & the afternoon. The Ahorn is best for first timers, because it is quieter and there is very little competition for lift access from more advanced skiers, but it doesn't work well for a mixed group.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to Mayrhofen last year and used;

https://skimayrhofen.com/home/

I really rated them; very relaxed, excellent instruction and very personable. I had the gent who owns the school on one day for lessons and a British lady another. I liked having different instructors as both were unique but you can block book the same one.

Penken is far better for not just lessons but diversity of terrain. You’ll get more out of a lesson the Penken side and will also see a lot more. The ski school also meet right next to the main gondola so it’s very, very easy. However, they’re happy to finish the lesson wherever, which proved useful.

Also, boarder friends had lessons and they said the snowboarding instruction was equally as good. A slick, professional outfit. The guy who owns the school is Mayrhofen born and bred and is clearly proud of the local area. Very personable instructors and I would definitely use again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mjit, Habaler as suggested above are excellent but more geared to groups of one or two max. I think their times are different to other schools but cannot remember exactly. When returning to skiing (after 20 years of boarding) I used them and have nothing but good to things to say.

Our kids used https://en.skischoolmayrhofen.com which is more of a traditional ski school. Groups or individual lessons. I think it’s pretty good school but watch for large groups in school holidays. After a couple of years we decided one lesson per day on an individual basis better than the group lessons for learning. My son just had a park lesson there last week and said very good. I will try to find the instructors name.

Like the others have said I would book lessons on Penken. That’s where the action is mainly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't pick any of the ski schools that start at the top of horbergbahn if I was a complete beginner.

There's a great blue run off the tappenalm lift, and the t bar off the back of it, but the run from the horbergbahn down to tappenalm, while short is pretty steep, especially as a beginner, and the beginners area up there is small. I'd steer clear personally.

I'd probably pick Penken of the 3 options, but couldn't tell you which school, as I have no experience of them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well that's fairly conclusive to go with the Penken side!

@Matrix, lesson timing's the other area where Mayrhofen ski schools do things their own way that I'd forgotten about. I had a quick look at skimayrhofen.com and they do max 6 group sizes (good) but also 'full day' lessons (9-10:50 then 13:10-15:00, which I can see both good and bad. Good that you can do 3 days full time ski school/2 days full time family ski, but bad that it might be too intense/like proper school for them).

Anyway neither the lessons or the children are mine and being on the more varied mountain is better for me so at this point I can send the (procrastinating) parents a slimmed down, Penken only list of ski schools.

Thanks folks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy