Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy and Switzerland recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Family of 4, 2 adults, one who is a bit nervous and likes long cruisey blues, one who is more confident. Two children, currently age 12 and 10. 12 is a fearless adrenaline junkie. 10 is capable but more reserved and a bit of a lazy skier. We currently have three weeks on snow, plus had a year’s membership to a dry slope.

We are considering Italy or Switzerland for Christmas or New Year next year. We are restricted to school holidays (I’m a teacher). We have skied in Austria, but only in Rauris, so are open to Austrian recommendations, too.

Budget is obviously a factor, but not the main one. We accept we’re going to be looking in the region of minimum £5k ish no matter where we go, so we’re open to exploring various options.

Our main requirements are: great snow; easy access to the lifts (no ski bus); not a 4 hour transfer; minimum 2 bedrooms, plus separate living room.
We LOVED Les Arcs and the variety it offered.
We are happy to train, drive or fly, but would prefer not to have a huge transfer if we fly.

All suggestions welcomed and will be researched.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like the Dolomites might suit you. Corvara/Colfosco could be a good base. Selva if you prefer a larger and livelier town.

Plus points include good early season piste snow, good lift system, wide variety of mostly cruisy pistes, great food at reasonable prices and a decent chance of clear weather. Not forgetting stunning scenery.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We found Switzerland surprisingly realistic on price over half term, especially if self-organised. Basically, they don't bump up the prices like France do.

Places we went were Davos (x2), Laax, and Lenzerheide (x2). Davos was an easy train ride from Zurich airport (change at Zurich main station and Landquart), the others you went to Chur and changed to the postbus (this is Switzerland so totally reliable service). Obviously you would have to research local accommodation. Just be careful about eating out, alcohol in particular is very expensive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
*Waves* from Morgins. Plenty for everyone, skiing wise, with the whole of the PdS at your feet. Quaint village, not too busy, not many brits. And some great accommodation available chez nous. Two of our apartments have three bedrooms each, so plenty of space.

We're about eight skibooted minutes walk from new Foilleuse gondola in the village (but there is a regular shuttle straight here if you don't fancy the walk home, stops just 150m away from the chalet or even closer if you ask nicely) five from the Corbeau over towards Chatel (although that's rarely running that early in the season).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. Wengen
2. Laax / Flims
3. Val Gardena
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For Italy I’d say Corvara/Colfosco would be a good choice. In Austria I’d recommend Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. If you can get flights into Innsbruck the transfer is short. Serfaus village has a tiny underground train that makes it really easy to get to the gondolas. Obergurgl might suit you too for the skiing but it’s a small place and mostly hotels, so limited options for shops or eating out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.

I'm researching it all. So far, Davos looks to be leading the charge. The lift passes there are surprisingly affordable compared to the Superski pass. Even keeping it to the local pass, the Swiss one is still surprisingly better value from what I've found. Unless my maths is wrong - always a possibility.

@Chaletbeauroc, I've had a look and your chalets look great, but I can't see any prices to be able to compare. Could you drop me a PM please?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Owlette, I know Davos pretty well. It's a good choice for xmas/NY. What accom are you looking at there?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A 2 bed apartment on VRBO, right by Davos Platz.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Owlette, Ok, Platz is not the best location as the better and higher skiing is accessed from the train at Dorf
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks! That's a great tip!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The obvious one - Verbier? Or a cheaper Satellite within the 4 Vallées?

Readily accessible by train from GVA (~2-1/2 hours airport to centre) so no need for car rental unless you have a ton of luggage. Often described as an intermediate’s and off-piste skiers resort. So if you’re looking for slopes that take you to the next level it may be a candidate. The first time we stayed there was over New Year, as we had the boys at school still, but found the price for our hotel was surprisingly reasonable. It was certainly not the most £/head we paid for a ski holiday. Subsequently, we self-catered and that was cheaper.

Like many big areas, it has satellites that are significantly cheaper: the two main ones being Nendaz and La Tzoumaz. Veysonnaz and les Collons are the other satellites in the 4 Valleys, but in practical terms, somewhat distant from the ‘hub’ that is Verbier. As a guideline, our 2-bedroom 68m2 apartment in La Tzoumaz would be around €1200 for the peak Christmas/New Year weeks. That would include underground parking if you rent a car, plus all heating and hot water and linen. But to be honest, I would think that you would prefer being based in Verbier if you could afford the premium.

Just be aware that Verbier is quite a large town, so being distant from the main lifts at Médran or Mayentzet means a bus transfer. Our hotel was in the Place Centrale and we easily walked up to the main lift at Médran. At a certain price point, you might do better to be within walking distance of the lift at a satellite like La Tzoumaz or Nendaz, versus on the periphery of Verbier. But of course, that’s true for a lot of resorts. SnowHeads is a good source of answers to the question ‘How near is x to facilities in Y?’ once you narrow your search down to specific hotels/apartments.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy