Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed for personal webcam from some more technical minded Snowheads

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve just had Starlink installed in my apartment ,so now I have permanent internet I’d love a personal webcam from my balcony . Is it easy to set up ? Are there cams that just connect to the internet router that you can access via an app ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use cams from TAPO.
it's always important to remember to change the default passwords for your cameras.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am interested to hear how your starlink connection is and what speed you are getting?

I am sure there will be lots of different people using lots of different brands of camera etc but a couple of things to consider are:

1) Do you just want the camera to look at live images or something to record the footage and look back at historical footage?
2) I assume that you want to be able to connect remotely to the camera feed directly and that you don’t already have remote access to your router?
3) What kind of quality are you looking for from the video feed like normal HD or 4K?
4) What sort of price bracket are you looking at?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@james816479, I’m told its pulling 200mbs according to our odd job man who installed it last week I’ll find out next week .

Yes I just want to connect remotely not using to spy on anyone just to see the view ,look at the weather and generally what’s going on whilst in the UK I am presuming something like theses doorbell cameras , HD would do the job . Quite inexpensive I'm hoping .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A hard wired (cos you can't be there to recharge the battery) Ring door cam would do that. You can call it up anytime you want for live view, and for a couple or 3 quid/month you can have historical recordings too. We like ours.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haha, no I just mean’t did you want to see what the footage was like on another day say yesterday etc or in the morning or the evening but it sounds like you just want to see what things are like at that moment in time. Assume you are also looking at putting the camera inside vs outside (if inside you might get reflection off the window in the evening etc if the lights are on but assuming they will be off when you are away, probably not an issue) so am going to assume the former. I haven’t used TAPO but have heard others who have used it and the price certainly seems competitive. Hopefully someone else who has one will be able to comment. Assume something like the C210 or C200?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rob Mackley, we use Blink from Amazon. They’re battery powered so no wiring needed (2xAAs last a year or more). I got in early so they don’t charge a subscription to store clips, but I don’t think you need a sub just to access the live feed. We now have a floodlight attached to one of the garden ones in case we have “visitors”.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice off to researching
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ring camera plus their mini solar panel works well for me. Can view at any time and also get movement alerts to review in real time or later, and you can save the videos/send to your friends etc.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use Annke C500 cameras for security and remote viewing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-2560x1920-surveillance-Weatherproof-Detection/dp/B07RJJL6NR?tag=amz07b-21

They can be powered through the network cable which connects them to the router if it is PoE capable, or you can easily inject mains into the same cable using a PoE injector like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/STOBOK-Injector-Ethernet-Adapter-Network/dp/B08LL9GRJK?tag=amz07b-21 or a local equivalent.

Weatherproof, high quality, records to a memory card in the device and optionally to a paid Internet service, supports motion detection for security use, has IR capability plus lights for night use, easy to mount, comes with a good app for iPhone/Android to view live footage and recordings from anywhere, and records sound and can allow you to speak from your phone to a speaker on the camera to tell unwanted visitors to b*gger off. And all for £40...

Wifi cameras are available, but you're going to need permanent power to it anyway for anything more than occasional use.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@weathercam has one set up at his place.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html#google_vignette
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ousekjarr wrote:

Wifi cameras are available, but you're going to need permanent power to it anyway for anything more than occasional use.

As posted above, we have battery powered Blink cameras and 2 AAs last well over a year of regular snow checking and nocturnal cat-triggered clips. We have them at home too, so we have people coming and going every day, and still get at least a year of use.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yup camera doorbell are not just for doors.
Got one in my dad's house. keeps the door camera on his person, so if he is trouble he just needs to press the button & I get a live feed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy from embsay wrote:
@Rob Mackley, we use Blink from Amazon. They’re battery powered so no wiring needed (2xAAs last a year or more). I got in early so they don’t charge a subscription to store clips, but I don’t think you need a sub just to access the live feed. We now have a floodlight attached to one of the garden ones in case we have “visitors”.

I second Blink which I installed as an inexpensive and discreet solution in our apartment in 2017. I have 4 cams including one on balcony which I use to view the mountain and snow accumulation. The internal cams act as a security alerting system which notifies me if someone enters the property. Cameras can be snoozed or disarmed when we arrive. Battery life is very long and well over a year for the unit in the balcony.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, @andy from embsay, Thanks I’ve purchased the blink , spent time wondering about the solar panel but will try out and possible add another camera or two . Pleased to hear about the battery life
latest report
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Ozboy, @andy from embsay, Thanks I’ve purchased the blink , spent time wondering about the solar panel but will try out and possible add another camera or two . Pleased to hear about the battery life

I don’t find the battery an issue. I have just installed normal alkaline batteries even though they recommend lithium.
ski holidays
Us too @Ozboy - just whatever Duracell or whatever we have in. It gives you a decent warning as well, so as long as you’re there reasonably often you have time to change it before it conks out.
latest report
I use a Eufy camera for my door. Rechargeable and links to the base station via WiFi. No forward subscription. I think Ring is about £6-8/month.

You can also link the static cameras onto the system. My friend has the small rotating camera that you can pan around on your phone remotely. They use it to check on their house when not there.
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
@james816479, I’m told its pulling 200mbs according to our odd job man who installed it last week I’ll find out next week .

Be aware that it's upload bandwidth not download bandwidth that a camera will use. According to Google, Starlink typically gives 5-20 Mbps upload. That should be fine for a camera though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy