Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of March at Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!
We are heading to Austria in the last week of March. From your experience how are conditions expected to be at Saalbach-Hinterglem, and if not recommended, where would you go at that time?
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Expect slush oh and slushy moguls, you might be pleasantly surprised. I love Saalbach but have had three March trips there and have seen v heavy wet slushy snow each time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was there on third week of March 2022. It was fine especially in the mornings, got slushy around and after noon but still very much skiable. It rained a bit one day and another was foggy/low clouds but it was clear blue skies and after ski in a t-shirt for the rest of the week.

If the conditions were like that I’d definitely go again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What percentage of the Saalbach-Hinterglemm ski area is usually open at that time of year? (ie late March.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@asael, Have you been skiing in last week of march before?

It a different time in the mountains - early start perhaps then softer snow and then glorious sunny late afternooons

Spring skiing should be relaxed unhurried and luxurious - and SB can do all that.

Davos is my go-to at the end of the season
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@The mountainaddict, I’ll let the Saalbach regulars give a more precise answer but my confident guess is that more than 90 % of the area is open until end of March.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have skied Saalbach many times now, including one last week in March.
Different atmosphere as was v warm but all the pistes were still open and good to ski until late on in the afternoon.
Lots of green lower down so seems slightly strange skiing on a “white road” through a field which is a testament to the excellent snow making system there. I would do that time again, it’s great sitting outside at lunchtimes in the mountains without freezing after 2 mins
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks@Ravensburger.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I live in Saalbach and generally stay until at least the middle of April - usually longer, as my season pass allows me to ski on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (less than half an hour’s drive away) until the end of April.
My favourite times to ski in Saalbach are generally the middle of December, the middle of January, the middle of March, and early April. Obviously it’s completely weather dependent, but it’s surprising how regularly we get a cold snap and fresh powder in late March or early April.
Equally obviously, as soon as the sun comes out, it bakes the pistes and turns the lower, south-facing ones slushy by midday. It’s the same in most non-glacier ski resorts.
But thankfully it normally freezes overnight, so there is good skiing to be had in the mornings. And I normally ski all day without too many complaints until the season ends around the second week of April. I have never yet been unable to ski back to the village down Schattberg, or the Bernkogel, or back to my door down the Kohlmais until early April.
As the crowds disappear and the end of season approaches, the resort closes sectors gradually. I would expect the entire south-facing side of the Glemm valley to be closed for the last week of the season (so no link to Fieberbrunn), so most skiing is on Schattberg and Zwölferkogel, but the link to Leogang via Schönleiten should still be open.
Until the end of March I would expect everything to be open, except for certain lower pistes that are generally only open when snow is abundant (such as 157 and 168).
I would never discourage anyone from visiting Saalbach in late season/March. The pistes tend to be quiet and therefore remain in pretty good condition, even when soft in the afternoons, and the conditions can sometimes be idyllic, especially when some unseasonal cold temperatures arrive. And there is always enough snow to keep it all going until the end of the season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy