Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The expense of doing a "big" shop in the valley before heading up to the resort

Poster: A snowHead
Many people on this forum advise and practice starting the self catering holiday by calling into a hypermarket at the start of the holiday and saving money by not buying in the resort shops.

Well being bored with the limited produce available in the Spar in Arc 1600 we headed down to the Super U in Bourg st Maurice.

Did we save much money - no. We spent a lot more.

OK we stocked up on cooking wine saving perhaps 1 euro per bottle 6€ in total, but it was the shear variety of stuff on sale that blew the budget.

Well I just had to get that tart for my wife - 20€ gone (everyone knows tarts are expensive)

Then to the meat counter. Those pigeons will fit nicely into the tiny apartment oven. Rabbit, I haven't had rabbit in years. That duck looks tasty so we must have a piarrade one night. Shame the goose will not fit in the oven.

Onward to the fish counter: Wow that Turbot looks good and perhaps some of those red snapper one night. Those huge langoustine look just the thing for a starter on Christmas eve even though they are 55€ a kilo or some prawns for that piarrade. And I haven't seen winkles on sale in the UK since I was a child, oh and some clams, should we have spaghetti with clams one day for lunch. It’s Christmas so we must have a dozen oyster. That orange squeezing machine looks fun so fresh orange juice for breakfast tomorrow.

It would have been cheaper to just buy the basics in the little spar, but we are on holiday so let’s splash out and feast on what we cannot get in the UK (sea food in particular)

Have a good Christmas everyone.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, Laughing I do like the SuperU in Bourg, great range of very tempting things.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hope you manage to eat it all before it goes off, @johnE!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Well I just had to get that tart for my wife - 20€ gone

Without knowing your wife, that sounds a fair deal
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
unrelated, when are you leaving? My son needs a lift to Bourg early doors sat Am from 1800, his lift fell through as driver broke leg.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
France = expensive
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ackie68, I’m leaving on the 30th. Your son may need a taxi,but check on funicular times

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 21-12-23 23:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks John for the response anyway. Adrian
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ackie68, I’m leaving on the 30th
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, cripes....a basic diet in resort vs going Gordon Ramsey bonkers in Bourg! I love the Super U there - and it's certainly turning your ski trip into a culinary one.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Super U Bourg …..Best Super in the world AND the trolleys go to the checkout all by themselves ! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27,
Quote:

Quote:

Well I just had to get that tart for my wife - 20€ gone

Without knowing your wife, that sounds a fair deal

You said it, I thought it Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Brilliant!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob Mackley wrote:
AND the trolleys go to the checkout all by themselves ! Very Happy Very Happy
I had a runaway this morning. Still amuses me.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A group of us on a private transfer recently were allowed a half hour stop off in Bourg to shop without the fare going up, so we made the conscious decision to go to one of the smaller supermarkets where there was less choice and fewer miles to cover than in the wonderful SuperU. It was certainly cheaper than usual, helped by a meticulously prepared (albeit unlaminated) list, carefully divided between the members of the party. It was like a military operation, with the added incentive of trying to win the race of being first through the checkout. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I always try to have a list and inevitably extra treats and ad hoc items are added. But going in rogue is gonna cost.
ski holidays
We have the mindset of ‘this is cheaper than Switzerland’ so we go nuts. And it ends up the same as a weekly shop in Migros, but much better stuff in France Smile
ski holidays
The restaurant in Super U is very good, we always enjoy lunch there when doing a big start of season shop while usually waiting for Weldom round the corner to reopen.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:
AND the trolleys go to the checkout all by themselves ! Very Happy Very Happy
I had a runaway this morning. Still amuses me.

I’ve still got the bruise!
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Have you tried the new Picard shop near the stadium? Have heard good things, mostly frozen I think.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@rob@rar, Have you tried the new Picard shop near the stadium? Have heard good things, mostly frozen I think.
No, thanks for the tip, I'll have a look next time I'm in Bourg.
snow report
I had a friend in France, an extremely good cook, who swore by Picard frozen delicacies.
ski holidays
We have a friend in Lyon, she is absolutely the worst cook in France, who also swears by “Monsieur Picard”. She doesn’t manage to ruin most of the products.
ski holidays
@DJL, thinking about it, they'd be more useful for a bad cook. My friend was just lazy!
ski holidays
@muppet, Indeed, why do Weldom insist on closing for lunch? Should we admire this last bastion of retail intransigence ?
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
A group of us on a private transfer recently were allowed a half hour stop off in Bourg to shop without the fare going up, so we made the conscious decision to go to one of the smaller supermarkets where there was less choice and fewer miles to cover than in the wonderful SuperU. It was certainly cheaper than usual, helped by a meticulously prepared (albeit unlaminated) list, carefully divided between the members of the party. It was like a military operation, with the added incentive of trying to win the race of being first through the checkout. Toofy Grin

I must give Hurtle the credit for creating the list and allocating according to skill set..she got lovely French deli stuff....I got crisps Laughing
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Laughing
snow conditions
Oddly enough, I sitting in the car dividing my shopping list into 4 so that I can give one each to other family members later.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The restaurant in Super U is very good,

And great for morning coffee and pastries.
latest report
Nit a thing to do in Switzerland
The big shop down below may have more choice but it is the law in Switzerland that the same item has the same price...up or down, city or village.
ski holidays
Communists!
snow report
Short of a couple of quite important things as they've closed the butcher's counter at our usual stop. God knows what our Christmas meal will be.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy