Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland vs Eastern Europe - early Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend and I want to go on a "boys' trip" for a long weekend at the start of Feb.

We are both decent snowboarders in our late 40s. He is limited by being a South African (living in the UK with indefinite leave to remain/British Residency Permit) and cannot currently get a Schengen visa (so normal places like Switzerland/France/Austria/Italy are not an option). Because of his passport issue, we are limited to one of the following:
- Scotland
- Romania
- Montenegro
- Serbia
- Turkey

We are both based in London so would want to fly from here - preferably direct flights.

I have done 3 dozen or so trips over the past 16 years, but never to any of these places.

Any thoughts on where would be best at that time of year? Any specific resort recommendations?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been to Scotland, Montenegro, Turkey and had a great time in all three.

Been close to Serbia, the Serbian bit of Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Serbia is on my list for later this season if conditions are good.

For greatest chance of snow and value for money I would say head East not North.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boardiac, The only non Schengen country I've skied in in Europe (let's ignore Andorra since you cannot actually get there) is Bulgaria which doesn't join until March. If the conditions are right then Borovets offers some decent skiing for a few days and is IMHO a better choice than Scotland.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scotland should only be considered as a last minute option as conditions are so changeable. If I needed to buy flights now I'd be heading to one of your other option.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boardiac, Is Georgia an option? They've tonnes of snow right now. Gudauri is handy from Tbilisi and is well worth a trip. I've not been to any of the others on your list though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A short vacation needs a short transfer.

Go to Borovets, in Bulgaria.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If Bulgaria was an option, I'd go there - but on an SA passport he needs a visa...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Then, Kopaonik, the biggest ski resort in Serbia.

Or Glencoe and Nevis Range, in Scotland, if they have snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just out of interest, is Norway in schengen ? it would be a far better option than all the countries listed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

ust out of interest, is Norway in schengen ?

Yes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Scotland should only be considered as a last minute option as conditions are so changeable. If I needed to buy flights now I'd be heading to one of your other option
This. Scottish conditions and weather could be amazing and you could have a fantastic time; OR there might be a lack of snow; OR there could be full snow cover with the ski areas stormbound and all the lifts closed (wind can be a massive factor in The Highlands).

Maximum flexibility is required and a Scotland trip should never be booked until the weather forecast is nailed on and favourable - which can sometimes be only 24hrs beforehand.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Serbia

IU have a Serbian friend and he's always on about the great skiing (although he doesn't ski...)

There is some sort of option with Ryanair to get close-ish to the ski area(s)

Sorry that's a bit vague
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can’t add more to what’s been said about Scotland (I’m about an hour away from Aviemore and a little more from Glenshee) other than to second the comments. You simply can’t plan that far out to come. You’ve got to react when it’s good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gudauri does look nice - but must admit to being slightly worried about the fact that it sits on the wrong side of the Russian/Ukrainian front line in Easter Ukraine...

Fair points on the Scotland comments.

So down to Kopaonik (Serbia) vs Straia vs Poiana Brasov (Romania) vs Kolašin (Montenegro). Leaning towards Kopaonik - thoughts?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy