Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt, Dolomites or...???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!!

I am looking for some advice please on where to ski the second week of March 24 Smile

For the past two years my boyfriend and I have visited Val Gardena in the Dolomites, had a great time but would like to visit somewhere new this year and since I hear such great things about Zermatt we have been considering there.

Things we love about Val Gardena (we usually stay in Selva);
- size and variety of ski area with Dolomiti ski pass
- scenery
- tree lined pistes
- food!!!

Does anyone have any opinions on how Zermatt compares to Val Gardena in terms of the above?

OR does anyone else have any other alternative suggestions based on the list above please? Smile .

We are intermediate skiers, won't be venturing off piste.

Thank you!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 5-01-24 22:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't go to Zermatt if you're a punter piste skier on a budget.

3 valleys?

Paradiski?

Saalbach / Ski Circus?

Arlberg?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt is great though not as extensive as the dolomites, it has plenty for most for a weeks skiing.
It does have great skiing, scenery and food. It isn't cheap, obviously prices can vary and only you can evaluate value.

Serre Chevalier shares some of the characteristics you want and is decently priced.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@T Bar, thank you, will take a look at Serre Chevalier!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@annaxp, the Dolomites have distinctively different scenery from the Alps (and quite special) but both are great places to ski. You can find larger and smaller resorts, there is an appeal to both, but if you want mileage the larger French resorts match the Dolomites (not to mention some Swiss and Austrian). For tree-lined pistes, well there is a payoff between areas above the snow line with a better snow record and those below which might soften in warmer spells but provide a retreat in misty weather. Ideally you have a choice of both.

That leaves food. As often commented here, the Italians love food and it shows. Excellent food is also available on the mountain in other countries but from my experience - as a broad generalisation - the better known the resort the more the restaurants tend to work to a formula. That doesn't mean they are bad, just that there is a preponderance of tartiflette and fondue in France, Gulaschsuppe etc in Austria, and it can get a bit boring. With luck, once you have chosen your destination, someone here who knows the resort well can suggest some lunch stops to aim for.

I haven't personally skiied Zermatt - it is on the bucket list - but it is a high end resort with of course iconic views of the Matterhorn. Switzerland tends to be expensive for Brits earning income in pounds, and Zermatt is expensive in Swiss terms. But I have skiied other Swiss resorts, and with a little care it is possible to eat very good food at not unreasonable prices.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@annaxp, I'm a unashamed Val Gardena Evangelist and your four categories above are why, it's a very difficult place to beat. My fifth and sixth categories would be the number of clear sky days and the consistently great condition of the piste. Been a few times in mid March and it has been glorious. I've also skied Cervinia Zermatt which was great but very different from the Dolomites, as mentioned above.

Given there is only two of you, your planned dates are quite a quiet week, and if you are not completely set on Zermatt I would advise leaving the decision to the middle or end of the first week in March. It can be a bit concerning as things get closer that you have nothing booked, but hold your nerve! snowHead That way you will have a good idea of conditions and forecast across France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy etc and pick the best option at the time. You will also be able to get a very good deal somewhere on a last minute package with Crystal etc. The Brenta Dolomites, Madonno di Campiglo etc might be a great option and would meet all of the things you like.

If you don't fancy a package, then you could book flights to Geneva, Innsbruck, Salzburg now and then make a late decision on where to go from there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@annaxp, Zermatt has great skiing, those stunning Matterhorn views and great food. Not much tree skiing but in March you have a decent chance of good weather and the high Alpine scenery is magic!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt is fantastic. I'm a fan and have been going for over 15 years. If you include Cervinia, which is simple to do as it connects, then it's a massive ski area equivalent to Val Gardena or potentially more, I'm not sure.

If you were on a budget though I'd suggest staying in Cervinia rather than Zermatt. Zermatt is fantastic with some of the best on-piste restaurants in the world; but it is pricy. As Cervinia and Zermatt are connected and you can buy a single pass for both this is the cheaper way to enjoy them both.

My score (bias already stated);

Scenery; Off the charts, 5 star
Tree-lined Pistes; Very good, 4 star (the lower slopes on the Sunnegga side)
Food; Off the charts, 5 star (Chez Vrony and Findlerhof are michelin recommended, others nearly as good - Blatten, Zum See, Fluhalp)

Have fun.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@annaxp, I'm a Dolomite fan too, but I've been to Zermatt and Cervinia a few times. It is a great ski area. Not quite as big as the Sella Ronda linked areas and not many tree lined pistes, but some great terrain and views of the 4000m peaks that surround the valley

The costs on the Swiss side are steep compared to Italy, but presumably you have priced this up and can afford it. I did 2 Schnitzels and two Cokes at the self service on the Gornergrat in early 2020 and it cost £38. Great quality and a lovely terrace with an iconic view of the Matterhorn, but pricey pre-Covid!

There are some amazing eating places on the Zermatt side if you want to splurge. One tip to contain costs would be to lunch in Italy, Chalet Etoile has an amazing terrace. Baita Cretaz is good value in a sheletered setting. Lots of snack options at Plan Maison too.

Or maybe try somewhere else in the Dolomites...Madonna di Campiglio, Cortina??

Or Austria.. Lech, Saalbach??
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having skied Alta Badia I'll also recommend Madonna di Campiglio. If you rent a car you can also ski for a day Pejo on the same lift pass. I posted a detailed TR from my trip there last year.
The food in MDC is not quite as memorably good as Alta Badia but there's more variety than the Austrian resorts I've visited (Kitzbuhel and Ski Welt).
I'm going to Wengen in two weeks - (which would also tick these boxes) so look for a TR in Feb. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt is a magical place, we go there most years (although I live in Switzerland an easy drive away and exchange rate isn't an issue!). Certainly a big enough area with the International pass and I'm yet to get bored there - the view of the Matterhorn is breathtaking no matter where you are, and the town itself is great for a wander around.

Cervina skiing is great to head over to too, and a bit easier on the wallet for lunch.

I can't compare to VG or the Dolomites as a whole as I've only been in the summer. Either way, you can't go wrong
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt is slightly overrated.

But it remains one of the top-5 must-do resorts in the world.

The Toblerone mountain gives it special atmos. The skiing is good. The food is good. Prices are getting silly.

Do it.

Alternatives include...

1. Verbier
2. Jackson Hole
3. Serre Chevalier
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy