Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for Spa/Ski/charm for early Intermediate tweens and a non-skiier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - My head is spinning! Please advise on a resort in the Alps for a family of 4: one expert snowboard dad (happy to go with the flow and do intermediate with kids); 2 tweens who are early intermediates on ski; mom who does not downhill, and wants day spas and cute town and maybe a little X-country or hike/walk option. The kids and dad also would love a thermal bath/pool complex.

We are looking for:
- charming village with good selection of restaurants (would be nice if village was snowy, but can let that go if necessary) for non-downhill skier to take walks and maybe even X-country ski one or two days
- thermal bath / day spa facilities - whole family is excited about this
- great blue runs for skiiers excited to progress from easy intermediate to moderate intermediate
- chic but not so luxurious that it's all Prada and billionaires

I've considered Bad Gastein (steep in town and slopes?); Bormio (how is skiing?); Cortina (doesn't seem to have much thermal bath option?); Magrève (doubtful snow?); Zell am See (happy for early intermediate?); Kitz (expensive?)
I would love other ideas - or confirmation that one of these hits the mark?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bad Gastein could work. Many lovely hotels with actually nice spa aminities in hotel, such as ****1/2 Salzburger Hof in addition to actual spas in town, decent size picturesque town etc.

If - at least on the first days before they’ve built confidence - the slopes adjacent to Bad Gastein feel too steep you could take skibus 553/554 to Dorfgastein which has loads of gentle blue runs. It’s a short bus ride and the buses go like every 20-30 minutes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead

Monetier covers most of those bases.
Have been to Bormio but quite a long time ago , very pleasant skiing from my memory not masses of it if that is important.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Every 4* hotel in Austria will have a great hotel spa, this is guaranteed by law.#

#it isnt
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@carmen99, what sort of accommodation are you looking for? Are you looking for the spa to be included in the package or separate?

I've stayed in a couple of hotels with lovely spa areas. The Sunstar in Grindelwald particularly stood out. One thing you need to be aware of, though, is that saunas and some other areas of spas in Austria and Switzerland are mixed naked and it's bad etiquette to ignore this. This could be an issue particularly for the tweens. Must I've been to have swimming pools where you can wear a swimsuit.

I immediately thought of Monetier in Serre Chevalier. The thermal spa in the village is awesome and the downhill skiing is great. There's also XC skiing. I've not been but I believe Briancon at the other end of the ski area is an impressive walled town and worth a visit - I've only looked down on it from the ski area above.

Another place I've just thought of is Belle Plagne, where there is a nice spa. You'd definitely be up in the snow but I'm not sure how it works for non skiers.

I've not stayed there but the Montana complex in Tignes looks to have a nice wellness centre and the ski area wouldn't disappoint. For a non skier you can walk across the lake between the 2 high altitude villages of Tignes which allows you to easily meet skiers for lunch and there is pedestrian access on the lifts to the glacier with stunning views.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@carmen99, Zell am See was the first place I thought of and then I see it's on your list. Fits the bill 100%. Plenty for intermediates and you have the whole lake to play with. https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/experience/attractions/tauern-spa
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugarmoma666 wrote:
The Sunstar in Grindelwald particularly stood out. One thing you need to be aware of, though, is that saunas and some other areas of spas in Austria and Switzerland are mixed naked and it's bad etiquette to ignore this. This could be an issue particularly for the tweens. Must I've been to have swimming pools where you can wear a swimsuit.

While naked saunas are not unheard of they're still the exception rather than the rule, but yes, I believe the Grindelwald Sunstar one required you to not be wearing a swimsuit and to use a special mat to sit on (last time I was there leading a Ski Club holiday perhaps 15 years ago). But I've never come across naked swimming or other areas, only ever the sauna and associated ice plunge/cold shower area.

But as a venue I think it ticks all the OP's boxes, so would second the suggestion.

Edit for clarity: I'm talking about Switzerland, not Austria.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 15-12-23 12:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chaletbeauroc, the Austrian spa at the hotel I goto regularly is naked

@carmen99, nice village, great hotel with spa etc here https://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/en/indoor-pool/

You'd eat HB so restaurants not required! If you had a car there are some lovely walks/XC along the river at Zurs
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chaletbeauroc, I've come across places where everything in the spa area other than the family swimming pool was naked. I'm racking my brain to think where but I'm fairly sure it was the Alpentherme in Bad Hofgastein. Everything in the "Sauna World" which includes saunas, steam rooms and hot tubs is naked (confirmed on their website).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We live in Berlin so we are accustomed to 'textile-free' sauna as they call it here. The tweens will not do that part - I was assuming the pools for families would be bathing suits.

I don't need to stay in the same place as the spa. Also open to taking family to a baths facility and then purchasing day spas on my own while they ski. We may end up self-catering just because everyone wants a bed (not sharing a sofa bed as seems the case in many hotel rooms for 4). Hence needing good restaurants!

Thanks these are great suggestions!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ischgl may work... It's not the prettiest village in the world but still way nicer than eg Sölden, likely to be snow in town, plenty of restaurants, plenty of skiing to suit your bill, and the new spa (I haven't been) looks pretty nice: https://www.silvrettatherme.at/en

Otherwise Ötztal - the Aquadome spa is lovely - but not sure where you'd stay. Would probably have to be Sölden, which is one of the ugliest ski towns I know, but plenty of skiing and short bus to the spa. Other options would be Obergurgl (but long bus to the spa and not ideal skiing in bad weather) or Ötz (direct access to the small Hochötz ski area, easy bus to the Aquadome, but longer bus to the more varied skiing at Sölden or Obergurgl.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zillertal, Any of the towns or villages, and Erlebnistherme spa. Might not be snowy at valley floor though
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you considered Bride les bains, the spa there is excellent and very big. You can get multiple entrances at reduced price, the only bother is the 30 min gondola ride but then you have the fabulous 3v .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Livigno or Bormio as suggested. Livigno has better skiing, better XC and will be snowy at village level. Bormio has better Spas. Both pleasant towns with charm and lots of dining options. Not yet fully Pradafied, but going that way.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@carmen99, Ski Amade? Gastein is good but so are many of the other village options. Flachau has lots of Restaurants and great accommodation. The Central Hotel is very good for families. https://www.central-flachau.com/en/holiday-resort.html

Altenmarkt may not be snowy (depending on when you come) but it does have this: https://www.thermeamade.at/
latest report
Les Saisies might fit the bill. There's a big public swimming pool/wellness place (speedos required for men I think) and the Hotel Calgary (though expensive, I reckon) has a small spa of its own. Pretty town, almost certain to have resort level snow and lots of cross-country (not exactly beginner level though).

Masses of self-catering very convenient to the slopes, at all quality levels and with however many beds you require. Looking at the options available on the Peak Retreats website would give you a good idea.

But when are you thinking of going?
ski holidays
Ortisei (St Ulrich) in Val Gardena Italy, cute town with easy blues up on Alpe di Siusi...must be a spa hotel or two there too...

snow report
Ah, yes, Hotel Adler...

https://www.adler-resorts.com/en/adler-spa-resort-dolomiti/43-0.html

snow conditions
https://www.holidayclubresorts.com/en/resorts/are/

Might tick a few of your boxes.
snow report
Bad Mitterndorf might be worth a look. There are a good number of spa hotels and the ski area above at the Tauplitz Alm is fabulous with plenty to keep one happy for a week. Generally pretty decent snow conditions and they’ve had a good start this season.

The other advantage is that, along with the skiing area, in the same location, there are multiple cross country skiing and snow shoe walking trails, thus enabling you to pursue your various activities and easily meet up.

Bad Mitterndorf is a reasonably sized town and pleasant enough to stroll around.
latest report
The Hotel Adler looks like the very incarnation of "non-cute"!
snow report
I think Niseko meets most of these criteria though I'm not sure about the relationship between Onsens and Spars
snow conditions
Davos
latest report
luigi wrote:
Ah, yes, Hotel Adler...

https://www.adler-resorts.com/en/adler-spa-resort-dolomiti/43-0.html

I thought it was strange that no-one had suggested Ortisei within the first 10 responses - this group collectively shows a lot of love for that part of the Dolomites! There's also a more modestly priced alternative to hitting up the spa at the Hotel Adler, in the form of the Mar Dolomit public pool complex - a variety of pools, hottubs, saunas etc in one complex. The pizzeria there is particularly good value.
ski holidays
Hi all
Thank you again for these suggestions. After much more research and discussion with the family, we landed on Wengen in Switzerland. I know, I know… not a spa town. But everything else seemed amazing in terms of the charm of a car free village, loads of activities (train, cable car, winter walking), and good skiing for the skiers. Plus we found Hotel Beausite, which has a pool and adequate seeming spa facilities.

I thought I’d share for anyone else who may be looking. If I remember, I’ll post a trip report (we go first week of February).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy