Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacement skis for Atomic Supercross SX-11

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I have a pair of Atomic Supercross SX-11 from 2004 which I love skiing on. Here’s a link to them so you can see the sort of ski I mean.

https://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/atomic_sx11_sx11_2004/

Here’s the issue…

I have been looking at replacing my boots and it seems the boots these days with GripWalk sole inserts do not work with older bindings. Therefore, the question is, do I replace my skis also. I’ve certainly had my moneys worth so some new kit would be nice.

I love my Atomics and others that I have skied on, so my thoughts are firstly to stay with Atomic. Any suggestions on a modern similar ski from Atomic? Or any other brand?

The skis I have are 160’s which is a good length for me, I’m about 5’7”. I like to stay on the piste and carve, short-ish ski with a small radius. I’m an advanced skier I would say (without sounding like a bighead).

Sadly, I don’t live anywhere where I can test skis.

Over to you please.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get 'Alpine' soles for (some?) new boots .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there are still boots out there which do not have gripwalk, Atomic Redster I believe is still without gripwalk I think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boofont, 20 year old technology on a pair of decades old skis? Treat yourself on something better! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all.

I tried on a few pairs of boots. Best fit were Atomic Hawx Prime but they were not stiff enough. Shop said they would get some 130 flex in to try. You can swap the gripwalk inserts but I quite like the idea of them. My current boots are actully quite old too. 2006 Lol. They’ve got zero grip on the base and are lethal when it’s icey while walking.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-ski-boots/salomon-xwave-100-free-2006

@skimastaaah, I’m leaning that way, treat myself. Just got a Xmas bonus today. Very Happy

There’s another factor which I found out while researching the binding issue. My skis have Atomic Race 412 bindings which have had a product recall relating to an issue with the heel section.

I think I’m being told something here…

Any ski recommendations please guys?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boofont wrote:

Any ski recommendations please guys?

Volkl Kendo - Done. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimastaaah, Thanks mate. Just had a quick read up on the Kendo reviews which were all very positive. Sounds like just the kind of ski I am after, and not too badly priced. Have you skied on them?

Would need to look at bindings and mounting which is a challenge to some degree. I have a few shops fairly local but about an hours drive away.

Still tempted Atomic though... rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still tempted Atomic though... rolling eyes[/quote]

I must admit that once moved to Atomic with the SXB5 I've stayed with them too, great skis..

Probably look at a GS ski as the closest direct replacement, but the Atomic Redster is as close as you'll get. You'll want to ski newer skis slightly longer than the SX11 I think.
Which ever ski you select it will be different to the Old Atomics, so probably best to get the boots right to start with.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bob wrote:
Probably look at a GS ski as the closest direct replacement, but the Atomic Redster is as close as you'll get. You'll want to ski newer skis slightly longer than the SX11 I think.

Thanks. I was looking at the Atomic range, must admit, it can get confusing. This article was helpful:

https://www.atomic.com/en-gb/article/which-redster-type-are-you

And this page also:

https://snow-how.de/en/blog/redster-series-from-atomic-skis-for-each-type-of-racer

After reading I was leaning toward the X or Q series. Q series seems to be a general on piste all-rounder akin to the Volkl Kendo mentioned by @skimastaaah.

A benefit to the Atomics (in my view - thoughts?) I've been looking as is they come with bindings mounted, can't recall the name, rail mounted I think? This is easier for me as can get the skis mailed ready to go. Other wise I'm in a shop to get the skis drilled. Pro's and cons of both methods, I would expect drilled bindings probably give a more direct transfer from boot to ski bit would I fully get the benefit? Perhaps not? I'm 51 and not getting any fitter.... only fatter! The Supercross have a rail system and I've never noticed any issue at all with how the ski performs.

@Bob - what's your thoughts ref the comment about going a little longer please? I'm very happy at 160 but I'm guessing the change in ski design over the years means a slightly longer ski is as easy to turn these days as a shorter one a few years back? I've been reading about multiple radius sidecuts, with the Kendo mentioned being an example. Interesting concepts, perhaps also camber vs rocker?

Thanks for all the comments and chat so far guys. Keep it coming, appreciated and valuable. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boofont, skied the Kendo in a 177 mainly last season. It became my go-to ski just because of its all round capability, excellent on piste performance with the combination of titanal layers and 3D sidecut, and enough width for occasional off piste forays. I also got a wider Kastle that was rarely used which lost out to the Kendo's versitility and precision. I've seen some good prices for last season's model.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimastaaah, Thanks for the reply How tall are you please? You must be quite tall? 177 would be taller than me! Also, would you mind sharing the links for last years model?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boofont, I'm 5'10", 90kg, and an old school skier having skied much longer ski lengths back in the day. Current 177 Volkl Kendo's are the second shortest ski in my lifetime. Given they have a pretty decent early rise and cut away tail they ski much shorter than full length camber skis (like the Atomics of yore). Side cut under foot feels shorter than expected and these skis can really be put on edge that grips like on rails. Effortlessly combining medium and long radius turns that the French would call "polyvalent".

Have a look on eBay for some well priced Kendo's.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Boofont, Skiercross skis were normally skied at a slightly shorter length than regular piste skis.
I would have thought that at 5'7" you would nowadays ski something around 168, maybe 172cm. Modern skis tend to ski a little more nimberly (if that is a word) than their turn-of-the-century ancestors.
I'm 5'5", 63yrs and use 164cm for my all piste/all mountain ski. If you want similar performance to the SX 11, look for something with a similar turn radius.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bob, Sorry for taking a time to get back with thanks for the advice.

Off to Saalbach early Feb. Think I'm going to try a few pairs out there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy