Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Recommendation for skinny feet with athletic calves?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there! I’m a female intermediate-level skier (prefer reds & blues) who enjoys taking my time making tons of turns and carving, and tend not to bomb down straight in high speeds. I currently own a pair of Dalbello Sport 110W (forgot what the model name was) in Mondo size 245. I loved the fit of these boots except I’ve lost some weight recently and thus dropped almost 1 shoe size, which means I have a bit too much room in this boot now, so it’s likely 1/2-1 size too big, both of which + the higher flex is giving me shin bang. However I workout a lot so I have athletic calves, just have no meat on my feet which are on the narrow side.

Any brands you recommend that make ski boots that would fit my skinny feet with athletic calves?

If the flex of 110 is a bit too stiff for me, would going down to 90 make a difference?

Last question, I think a Mondo 240 would fit me best, but most of the boots I’m looking at only come in 235 or 245. Since 245 is what I have now, is it better to opt in for the smaller 235, and bank on it packing and loosening up? Many thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Melella wrote:
the higher flex is giving me shin bang

Do you mean it's just because they're now too big so you're moving about to cause this, or the higher flex rating?

I don't think the latter could possibly cause this, so if that's what you're thinking then moving to a softer boot will not help (although the better fit most probably would).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any bootfitters near you?

I have a relatively narrow foot and a wide calf, and was recommended the nordica speedmachine 115w, or the technica mach 1 105w mv - got the nordica, the foot fit is perfect except around my little toe on one side which i had bashed out by a bootfitter, and the upper clips are adjustable so i moved them out one to accommodate my calves - they came with the tools! You may prefer a lower flex of course, but if you're used to a higher flex I'd stick.

I'm 23.5 mondo and a uk size 5, but sometimes nearer 4.5 shoe size if that helps? So you'd probably not want the 23.5, and with the snug fit of these boots the 24.5 probably better! Realise getting to a bootfitter where you are might be difficult!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awesome, thanks for your recommendations and suggestions! Unfortunately I don’t live near any bootfitters except when I’m at a ski resort, and I noticed the stores that do sell ski boots there are quite limited in choices they have in stock, so I don’t want be pressured into buying a model they just happen to have. Would need to buy online then bring them to get fitted when I’m skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Melella, Are you using/trying women's fit boots? They usually shaped to fit the larger, lower calf muscles that women often have compared to men, though I appreciate that not all boot shapes work for everyone. If you can find a boot that fits your foot, you may be able to have the cuff modified if it doesn't fit your calf. FWIW, I have a narrow foot and large calf, and just got fitted with the Atomic Hawx Ultra (I have the AT model, but the piste version also comes in a narrow fit). I had the boot modified, but not at the calf, which fits well out of the box.

Are you likely to be skiing in Europe (or even North America) at all this season? If so, someone can probably recommend a shop or fitter in the area. If not, and you don't have good access in your location, can you get your feet measured accurately (length and width (last) in mm) so that you at least know which size to look for? You may also be able to get more help with models if you have accurate measurements.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Melella wrote:
Would need to buy online then bring them to get fitted when I’m skiing.

From my (limited) personal experience of having boots fitted, one of the skills of a good bootfitter is knowing all the different models of the different manufacturers so as to identify the one which most suits the shape of the customer's leg and foot so that only a final few tweaks can optimise the fit. They can't work magic starting from a random boot bought on line - in fact I suspect most good bootfitters would decline to even try.

The best thing will be to go to a resort where there is a recommended bootfitter with a good stock, and who you can return to for fine tuning if necessary during your stay.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@j b is right, if you can commit to taking a morning out of your holiday and book in with a bootfitter, the next few days - and few holidays - will make it worth it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy