Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will slightly shorter ski with smaller radius make big difference?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - looking to understand something please from you amazing lot!

My husband is finding his current skis harder to handle now and is considering something shorter to make things a bit easier as we hit our 50s. He wants to be able to turn a bit easier on trickier pistes. We are both competent intermediates. Happy with all reds, rarely tackle a black and only when necessary - never for pleasure!

His current skis are Volkl Supersport 5 star in 168cm long. and are 114 / 68 / 99 with a 14.4 radius. Tbh we bought them because they were a good deal secondhand but suspect they have always been slightly over spec for him!

I have been offered some by a friend (Volkl Crosstiger Carbon) which are 161cm long and are 116 / 70 / 101 with a 13 radius.

Hubby is 5'10 and weighs 12.5 stone.

Are these too similar to make much of a difference or would it be noticeable? He also finds his current Volkls very heavy - but I think this is a thing with most Volkls?

Any advice is appreciated. I was considering surprising him for Christmas with them - but need reassurance that this would be different enough with the shorter length and lower radius that he would find them a little easier than what he currently has.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be looking at a softer (less stiff) ski rather than going shorter. You can pick up something second hand such as Volkl RTM 74s or Rossignol React R6 for next to nothing which I think would be much more enjoyable for an intermediate if you aren't going at top speed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The difference in both length and radius will be noticeable, yes, but not enough to make a huge difference in itself. What will have a much greater effect will be that many short-radius skis are slalom-oriented, so tend to be designed to behave more like a race ski. I can't comment on the specific skis you mention - I'll leave that to the gear-heads - but it would be foolish, IMO, to assume that these would magically make things easier for him, there's a fair chance that they will have the opposite effect, demanding much more input to extract the performance from them and being a handful if you just want to sit back and relax.

But anyway, what's this nonsense about "as we hit our 50s"? If you've already given up by that age I despair for your future skiing prospects wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mamabooks, upgrade his skis to something more modern. The Supersport 5 is a 2006/2007 ski, quite slim (68mm), and past it! snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 14-12-23 15:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mamabooks, How often do you ski a year? If it is only one or two weeks then I wouldn't bother buying. Skis change so fast that you'd be better off trying a number of different skis on your holiday trip and if you really like something, then buy them. @wineandfondue, may also be on the right lines. Softer can be better as you age.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mamabooks, A quick google suggests that Volkl Crosstigers were probably introduced around 2008/2010. If the skis are that old the bindings are probably well past their best.

They're probably not too dissimilar to what you already have. I remember being given some Race Tigers as rental skis in Italy, and they felt very heavy underfoot.

Try renting some up to date equipment. They'll be lighter and should be easier to initiate turns.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 14-12-23 17:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mamabooks, I don't think there's any question that a more modern ski would help him but the Crosstiger isn't that ski. Don't waste your money.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Those fossils he's skiing on were good in their day but not a good choice these days. Plus those bindings are possibly past their shelf life. He will notice a difference no matter what he changes to. Whether that difference is an improvement remains to be seen. Take a trip and have him ski on a few different rental skis to learn for himself what he likes/can turn, or get him a gift certificate for future rentals (unless you are really just looking to finish the holiday shopping in one move Very Happy ). Then he can buy the ones he likes or at least know what to look for when he rents in the future....which might be a good idea for someone who skis so seldom. If he prefers to have his own stuff, he could also try to buy rental skis he liked at the end of the season, when they sell 'em all at a pretty good discount.

The price and ease of acquisition of a ski have absolutely no bearing on their fitness for any particular person. All of us should take the time to get the right ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My suggestion would be to try some Head Magnums.

I would avoid anything more than 3 or 4 years old.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mamabooks, I'd second everything above. My M-i-l had those Volkls in 2006. A nice piste ski in their day, but that was 18 years ago Shocked Things have moved on, a lot.

Length and radius are only two dimensions. An up to date ski with similar dimensions - oh wait, you won't find one wink - is likely to be lighter and much easier to ski without losing any of the Volkl's stability and damp nature.

Go skiing, hire modern from a good shop, try a few.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mamabooks wrote:
He wants to be able to turn a bit easier on trickier pistes..

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get something modern! Most ski shops will let you hire something and then put the cost of hire towards the purchase price of the ski. Or just hire and swap all week, which some of the premium packages allow.

I had regular piste head skis on hire, then upgraded my rental to the Head Kore I hated, then Atomic Bents I loved ( like an epiphany on the snow for how much easier to turn and smash through choppy crud)

As a man I would be thrilled if I had a home-made voucher from my wife at Xmas telling me she had arranged a premium skis package for me on our next trip which allowed me to try a bunch of skis out all week. I’d be ecstatic if I then got another voucher telling me if I really liked a particular pair I’d get them bought for me at the end of the holiday ready for the next one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy