Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fly to Innsbruck or Salzburg mid Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Happy season everyone! You guys have been amazing with previous knowledge so hoping I can exploit the collective snowhead again.
We are aiming to head to Austria mid December next year (only time we can go).
Dilemma (not really a dilemma) is whether we fly to Innsbruck (Obergurgl, SFL, other high ish resorts) or Salzburg (Obertauern, others?).
Happy to book accom late but travelling with kids so reckon Salzburg to N Italy etc may be too much for a trek for them.
Which airport has the most decent mid December options within 90 mins? Ideally, 100k or more of intermediate skiing with the odd bit of easier and odd bit of trickier.
Realise if there's plenty of snow then there's plenty of options, but guess we're planning in case there isn't.
Looks like Innsbruck to me but happy to be told otherwise!
Thanks so much.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a PS, gonna book flights now as prices v cheap.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Innsbruck then Arlberg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much red27. I'm sure I've been to St Anton and Lech before but it was years ago. Which bit of the arlberg is best for one member of our group who is a slightly nervous snowboarder? Seem to remember it's not the easiest resort, but pretty epic!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only note of caution is that the Arlberg often doesnt fully open until just before Christmas whatever the snow conditions. Ischgl might be a better option as it opens at the end of November, no guarantee that all the home runs will be open but there will be a decent selection of piste skiing. Obergurgl is potentially good though miserable if the weather is poor.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Munich is also an option with far more flights that early in the season, which then gives access to the Skiwelt, Zillertal, etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Innsbruck a bit more affected by bad weather (fog or snow)
Only ever had flight cancelled once though and use Innsbruck most winters.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so much to everyone.
Have been to skiwelt (Westendorf) and Zillertal (Gerlos). Aren't these places relatively low? Great if snow is good but seems most of the more snow sure resorts are some way from Munich. Is that right? Sorry for all the questions and cheers for all the ideas!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been in the Skiwelt for the opening week for the last 5 years, and while the snow has been variable in a couple of those years it has always been possible to ski at least half of the area. Check the webcam histories for both areas and you can see for yourself.

December weather can be changeable - on the 2-3 days of snow and low visibility per week, I'd rather be at 1800m than 2500m especially when that means there are trees to assist with navigation. Snow sure is one thing, open is something different, and in December there will be short days, low contrast, and frequent low visibility. One or two clear days in a week is normal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, remember that the Zillertal has the higher areas above Mayrhofen, and of course the Hintertux glacier at the end of the valley if you get really unlucky and there is not enough snow elsewhere.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So I don't abuse any more time, Innsbruck has more options fo sho?
Thanks all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More skiing options yes, with the Arlberg, Ischgl, Sölden, Hochgurgl and Hintertux all being mainly snow sure in December.

Less flight options though, and more likely to be diverted to Salzburg or Munich at that time of the year.

Salzburg has Kaprun, Dachstein/Schladming, Sportgastein and Obertauern as snowsure options, plus many other resorts if conditions are good.

Munich has options from both sets, but further away from either. The scheduled flights from major carriers are the major draw at that time of the year - they're typically frequent and relatively cheap, compared to very expensive or non-existent to INN or SZG.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We like innsbruck (off peak). Small but efficient. From landing to taxi on 17th december took about 30 mins.

Not great when a busy week though as its too small to cope.

If you can book accommodation late - and snow not great in austria , dolomiti superski is only a 2 hr transfer and usually has a lot open by mid december due to reasonable altitude , cold dry weather and excellent snowmaking and piste bashing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saltwood wrote:
As a PS, gonna book flights now as prices v cheap.
who are looking to book with?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is cost a consideration?

Easyjet this winter, even when booking as the flights were released, for the first time set obscenely high prices flying in and around Friday 15/12/23 / Sat 16/12/23.

So for the first time we flew to Munich, saving the best part of a grand.

We took four large cases.
snow report
Got some "free" flights to Innsbruck via Avios. Gonna book accommodation fairly last minute when we know what the weather gives us.
Sounds like:
Soelden / Obergurgl
Lech / St Anton
SFL
Ischgl

are all pretty good options for early season snow, and within a coo-ee of Innsbruck airport.

Then, if enough snow, there's loads of other Austrian options and Dolomites also within fairly easy access too. Seemed to make more sense than Salzburg.

Thanks again for all the help snowheads. Amazing knowledge and helpfulness on here.

Hope you all score some snow this season - gutted to be missing it!
snow conditions
I like Obertauern..

Although its not as 'Frontier' as it used to be..
latest report
Thanks Bob. Think we're keeping that as a nuclear option, as it's quite a schlep from Innsbruck with younger kids. Looks like a very lovely place but there weren't enough options nearby if the December variables didn't all come together.
snow report
@Saltwood, for comparison, I know you've said Zillertal is fairly low. In the valley, yes it is. Mayrhofen is 630m I think, but most of the skiing is at 1500m+ and goes up to around 2500m. Ischgl while at 1400m in the village, skiing goes up to just shy of 2900m so an additional 400m but, not a huge difference.

Similarly, St Anton goes up to around 2400m I believe.

So with the Zillertal, you're definitely less likely to have snow in the village, but chances are it'll be similar up top.

Plus as mentioned, you have Hintertux a short drive away also.
snow conditions
Saltwood wrote:
Thanks Bob. Think we're keeping that as a nuclear option, as it's quite a schlep from Innsbruck with younger kids. Looks like a very lovely place but there weren't enough options nearby if the December variables didn't all come together.

fly to Salzburg.
ski holidays
Thanks Bob. Already booked "free" flights to Innsbruck via Avios.
latest report
@Saltwood, I would leave your decision very late indeed, a couple of days before you arrive. Hold your nerve! snowHead You can look at the snow depths, piste conditions and forecasts and then get a great deal for cash yoyo notes. There will be no shortage of accommodation mid December.

I wouldn't discount Val Gardena and Kronplatz. If you're driving, they are 1.5 - 2 hours from Innsbruck. Easy on the train and bus in 2-3 hours. In my experience, the Dolomites have a great record pre-Christmas, both with piste snow and loads of sunshine. I've had a few December trips there that were almost spring-like midday but with empty slopes. World Cup events on the Sasslong in Val Gardena and Gran Risa in La Vila too then.
ski holidays
Thanks Sean. I love the Dolomites. Love 'em. Love 'em. Have you ever been to Corvara? I've only hit the Sexten / San Candido areas.

Don't know if you / anyone else knows, but does the same accommodation point (i.e. it'll be plentiful) also apply to family-type hotels in mid-December? Don't need anything fancy but do need a pool for the kids after ski (or if peeing down) and to stay in a place where other guests don't mind if kids dash around, make a bit of noise etc. So somewhere really family-friendly. I'm guessing these won't be full either as it won't be Euro or UK holidays when we go, but keen on any wisdom, if anyone knows.

Snowheads. Properly helpful forum. Thanks again everyone.
snow conditions
Saltwood wrote:
Got some "free" flights to Innsbruck via Avios. Gonna book accommodation fairly last minute when we know what the weather gives us.
Sounds like:
Soelden / Obergurgl
Lech / St Anton
SFL
Ischgl

are all pretty good options for early season snow, and within a coo-ee of Innsbruck airport.

Then, if enough snow, there's loads of other Austrian options and Dolomites also within fairly easy access too. Seemed to make more sense than Salzburg.

Thanks again for all the help snowheads. Amazing knowledge and helpfulness on here.

Hope you all score some snow this season - gutted to be missing it!

Change them to Munich! Probably end up landing there anyway Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy