Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica Mach 1 130 adjustment question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Got new Mach 1 130s. They ski great (stellar great, that is!) but I have some shin discomfort and could for this and other reasons get away with a slightly softer initial flex..

What would be the best way(s) to achieve that?

Booster strap is installed.

Thanks!

edit: Shin issue a little bigger than I thought. in hindsight, the issue is uneven pressure distribution along the shin. It is not mega bad, but a lot like only the top half or third is bearing pressure. plus a localised spot near the top of the tongue. When I put my bare legs in the shells, it is apparent that matching my shin curvature is big ask from the cuff. I ski shin pain free in Zero Gs though. There, the lower shin is bearing more pressure and the pressure decreases upwards. the Mach1 tongue seems too softly padded to me.
The trouble is, keep trying and risk injury? Or try a different liner? Hawx Platinum liners feel good on the shin in the shop. I ski intuition Pro Tours in AT boots. Sadly, these are too high volume for the Mach1 shells.

Any hints appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@danbre2022, the tongue on the 130 is velcro, you could try moving it up/down on the velcro mounting which will alter the instep fit and the transition angle that the tongue hits the leg at, beyond that you could try a different velcro tongue (atomic make 3 thicknesses for volume adjustment) or recontouring the padding of the existing tongue
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
great hint, will check out the atomic tongues.

which options do I have for softening the boot?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@danbre2022, you can try taking ONE of the two upper bolts from the T drive out, it may give you a little, but the only way to do it properly (and it is permanent) is to take the cuff off the boot, cut some material from the side cuts, and the lower strap of the cuff and then rebuild the boot, this is very much a don't try this at home, any cuts need to be smooth with no overcut unless you want the shell to potentially split
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the way I read it, shin bang can be caused bei either or both these:

-backseat riding stressing foot dorsiflexors in the shin
-uneven pressure distribution along the shin

I think I have both. Actually, I believe the stiffness and tongue top pressure kept me from staying in the tongue. My wardens drop boot toe 6mms compared to flat ground, so there's some delta. Boot board ramp is rather low. Boot lean is what it is. I am not a backseat sker per se.

So I am unsure what to tackle first, boot flex or stance.

Would asking for a 120 flex swap make any sense?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shin bang is most often form imbalance in biomechanics or the way the tongue meets the shin..... generally flex makes very little difference

the reason it sits 6mm high on flat ground is the gripwalk sole , put 6mm under the heel on flat ground if you want to test, f you have an iso 5355 sole it sits in exactly the same place in the binding as it does on the ground
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CEM I have now all 3 variants of the aftermarket Atomix Tongues right here. Thanks for that suggestion!! Interestingly, they are much higher density than the stock tongues of an Hawx XTD Liner I also ordererd. The Hawx tongue is at least in the back (towards the shin) from the exact same material as the Tecnica.

Is the soft stuff shop floor oriented and the aftermarket tongues more towards actual performance? I have the feeling that they spread pressure over a much bigger area, while with the soft material, my boney shins seem to punch right through the padding. I might in fact keep tthe thin ones for my Zero Gs and the medium ones for the Mach1s. The Atomic Tongues also have much better padded cutouts for the boney protusions on top of my instep. At 25€, quite the deal, these tongues.

Another oddity, they call the thinnes HV and the thickest LV. Why would anybody use such nomenclature?

Stance wise, I have the suspicuon that Binding Delta put me backseat. Added thicker shims (now 4mm) to my warden toes. One Day with my old boots on sunday was pretty epic, more neutral stance and could drive the boots harder and complete carved turns better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
danbre2022 wrote:

Another oddity, they call the thinnes HV and the thickest LV. Why would anybody use such nomenclature?

HV = high volume LV = low volume in other words the thickest one reduces the volume left for your foot / leg.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another question regarding the Atomic Tongues, are they heat moldable?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
danbre2022 wrote:
Another question regarding the Atomic Tongues, are they heat moldable?

to a point, (with a liner at 117degrees C in an oven for 5 mins will shape but not kill them )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy