Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BC 2024: Big White

Poster: A snowHead
So yeah it's an el-thingy year, but I never really understood any of that, and it doesn't seem to correlate much with anything. Big White opened a week ago, a week later than scheduled, and compared with last year's strong start... conditions aren't great. At least one heli operator opened a week later that scheduled too; the snow's late.

Which means everything's white; there's not much depth off piste; there are some small trees poking through here and there, and even the odd rock visible. The [natural] snow is all good, and in good condition, but not all the lifts are open. My mates were throwing bombs round the top of the resort today to open the top T-bar tomorrow, but some lifts are still closed. The grooming is good, but I reckon it's been a fair bit of work.

About 07:00 December 17.

The weekend's been busy with locals, so line ups for those wanting to buy tickets after 08:30 or so, and some line ups for the base lifts. Temperatures maybe minus 5 and sunny; last year's minus 38 kept the slopes empty, it's busier this year as you'd expect.

The word is that conditions here are better than anywhere south of Terrace at the moment, but I don't know if that's true. We shall have to see what the weather brings, but if the temp stays negative then it's stable enough - conditions don't deteriorate through the day and there's no freeze/ thaw thing. My phone says more snow later in the week, which will be welcome. For now it's carving on good condition pistes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My daughters working there as an instructor - can probably hook you up with a cheap lesson if you want Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phil_w, Always thought an El Nino year pushes moisture further south, so can be dryer in the North

Southern CO and NM are supposed to have better conditions - this rang true for the last one which was 2019 season.

We headed to Taos and Southern CO where conditions were excellent, and reports of Taos having one of their best seasons.
Unfortunately they also had inbounds avalanches too due to the amount of snow.

Enjoy your time in CA as you always do, looking forward to hearing and seeing of the exploits, as will be that way later this season Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Much quieter here today Monday. No line-ups at all, it felt much less risky on the slopes too.

About half the lifts are open - the one my mates were blasting yesterday (summit T bar) isn't open, it looks like that was just an excuse to ride some untracked, so far. Breakfasted with the guy who runs the snow park, which is in excellent condition.

Snow is forecast for Thursday, and that'll be welcome. All the runs from the open lifts work, but there is the odd section with exposed trees/ rocks, so you need to keep your eyes open.

Ski school was out in force... didn't spot anyone I knew the parents of, but I looked!

Taos is one of my favourite places. Reports from Blue River are good; they lost the first week of the season up there, but it's dumping now. Whistler is reportedly pretty rough, artificially augmented. Not brown strip, but I'd not expect off piste to be filled in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
phil_w, We loved Taos too - planned to go back, doing a similar trip to last time, hoping for this season as conditions are supposed to be good - El Nino year. However costs a little prohibitive for us so doing the CA trip instead.

Will just have to wait for the next kids year Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The weather modelling here is reputed to be worse (less accurate) in an El Nino year... which is perhaps why we had maybe 5cm overnight and then it snowed all day... excellent snow in the still limited open areas. No line ups, decent snow. And it's still dumping. Tomorrow they're opening a couple more lifts and we're planning on getting some first tracks off those.

Whistler's still running mostly on artificial, I hear, and Revelstoke sounds similar to here. Sun Peaks should be better I think, from looking at the highway cams (I'm driving up there in a few days..).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a doozy of a thread in the Whistler subreddit about how underinvestment by Vail managment has seriously effed up Whistler's ability to make snow: https://www.reddit.com/r/Whistler/comments/18j553c/snow_making_issues/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
phil_w, Keep the reports coming please, as road tripping out there again this season Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bones,
I'll be doing my sons annual comp tour of BC shortly (Whitewater, Kicking Horse, Red, Whistler) will keep you posted.
Jr has been getting the conditions from his freeride buddies across the province: Revelstoke and Kicking Horse in pretty good shape so far, Whitewater and Red having a bit of a slower start.

As far as Whistler is going, well, I'll probably not bother skiing this weekend Sad
A boat load of precipitation forecast for next week though - lets hope it gets/stays cold enough snowHead

@AndreaC,
I've not checked the reddit, but I think Whistler does a better job of making snow than ever - there has consistently been a ski out almost from opening day to closing day every year recently because they make so much snow and there is a huge array of snowmaking machinery lined up on the main ski outs at the moment. Bit difficult to do though if the temperatures stay well above freezing and not much the management can do about that Sad

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 20-12-23 21:31; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitewater is boney at the moment Eh oh! Take care!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aye well, today the sunrise was spectacular, but we wanted to be out early as we knew the Cliff area was opening today. My buddies put a couple of lines in there two days ago, but those were filled in already. It turned out that it didn't matter; as the chair on this slope isn't open yet, we just rode big laps all morning with fresh tracks on the steeps each time.

This was the first run of the day, but there's a pretty big bowl here with plenty for anyone:

Sloppy seconds. I'll take that, the entire bowl was untracked. And my buddy knew the best route out the bottom.

One of my buddies is just in shot top left. It's hard to show steepness with these cameras, but that gives some perspective.

Plenty of choice for lines. That's an odd arm position, but I don't hate the way it looks. Holding the camera has some effect on balance. We dropped in skiers' right of the bowl, but there are a couple of chutes for access further along, if you want to walk a bit.

The Cliff Chair is in the background of this shot - that's not yet open, hence getting back here is a "big lap" not a small one.

Reddit? I'm calling BS on that sort of talk. They should get out more, visit, talk to a few locals. Maybe even learn to ride.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
phil_w, Just how I remember Big White, but without the blue skies - enjoy Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another 10cm last night, slopes in excellent condition, but still not everything open. Gem Lake opens Saturday, so the locals will be all over that as it's untracked for now. Getting a little busier today, I think the season's about to kick off, and we seem to have the best resort conditions around, from what I'm told.

Went to see the dogs before breakfast; one of my buddies runs that operation. 37 dogs... all massively friendly and happy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@phil_w,
Thanks for the updates, I’m in YVR waiting for my flight to Terrace and then on to Bell 2. Will be in Revelstoke after for a week, then Sun Peaks, Big White, and then a week in Red.
hit me up for a beer,
Best
H.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds good - my buddy here is going up to Terrace this weekend to guide with the other operator up there - conditions are reportedly good. Blue River has been snowbombed... and the word is that we have a lot of weather on the way.
snow conditions
Big White Out time today - Friday 21. Visibility in the village is just about good enough to see across the (generally wide) pistes. The remaining major lift (Gem Lake) opened today in anticipation for the weekend rush. The village was very quiet today, but xmas crowds and more snow are expected shortly.

A snap of a few of the dogs. They're all Alaskan sled dogs, but remarkably diverse. Learning 37 names is easier than it would be, thanks to that and the whole dog personality thing. I think the white guy is "Animal", he barks a lot when he's excited.

We drove away through continued snow fall. It should be fresh tracks time on Saturday in Big White.

We drove on clear roads through sleet up to Kamloops, where the locals report Sun Peaks isn't great. I think BW and Revelstoke are probably where it is at the moment. The word is that the snow is coming now though. We're heading up highway 5 in the morning in search of helicopters and I'm expecting storms... we shall see.
snow report
We are currently in Big White, we have enjoyed a couple of great days skiing, either side of the T bar on Wednesday and in Black Forest trees on Thursday. I have hit more rocks on the piste than off. Today was a non starter, we went out for a run, but that was only to have a look around the village centre shops, the kids and myself could not be bothered to walk. Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy