Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva car hire, and some general Val Thorens questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Rather than have multiple threads, I'll try and cover my questions in one.

Flying Bristol to Geneva, and looking for car hire. How do i ensure that the car is properly 'wintered' with winter tyres/chains stuff? Given that we are not travelling until very late season (20th April), will that even be an option?

Straight forward drive from GVA to VT? Did the UK to Val Cenis in April this year, so assuming This will be just as easy?

Random, possibly stupid Val Thorens questions -

Given the lateness of the trip, generally is the whole VT area likely to be open? Clearly we don't know what the snow gods have in store, but let's assume a reasonable year. How low is likely to be open? Get down to Les Menuires? I'm fairly sure the rest on the 3V is due to close before we arrive, and that's fine, but if the season is a great one, will Meribel/Courchevel try to keep their lifts running? Assume not, as if they have plans to end the season, then staff/accommodation etc will have finished.

What are the best cruisy blues to get warmed up with? Easier reds? One of the group, although decent, hasn't skied for quite some time, so need to know where to start him.

I assume that supermarkets in resort will be expensive/almost empty, or both. Where should we stop on the way from GVA for a quick stock up? We are S/C.

Any decent ski rental places recommended? We are looking to stay at Les Balcons de Val Thorens if that helps.

We are a group of 40/early 50 something's who don't need to be super budget, but we do like to find value for money. On that basis, and suggestions for places for lunch, dinner and a few reasonable beers?

Thanks all. I'm hoping that as quite a few SH's have spent time in VT, these may be easy to answer.

Thanks so much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too many questions in one thread! But some of them:

Most GVA hire co's only guarantee winter tyres until March 31, you will have to check the individual T&Cs very closely, pay extra or beg.

Yes the drive is easy. You will need to book parking - there's an underground park at the Balcons. However, if it's snowing and you don't have winter tyres you may not get up.

LM shuts on 19th April, Mottaret and Courchevel 21st. They are both known to extend their season in epic years but with the current electricity costs etc I think it's unlikely this year.

Supermarket in VT will be fine - it's Dutch week the following week and the resort will be rammed. Carrefour in Moutiers is the cheapest big supermarket. It's easier to access if you follow the signs/lane for Meribel/Courchevel as you approach Moutiers, not VT.

The Balcons is at the very top of VT, you access a blue path/piste by either taking the lift down to your bootroom (depending on exact apartment - they don't all have access) or walking down some steps behind the local store. Think there's an Intersport up there for hire but I might be out of date.

The pistes off Deux Lacs and Moraine are probably the easiest to warm up on. You will end up at Deux Lacs naturally from the blue path.

The Red Fox pub is the Balcons' "local" and is/was good, everthing else is a walk.

You can ski back to the Balcons off Pionniers/Plein Sud by staying hard right to access the walkway down.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Too many questions in one thread!

Yes, apologies, but thought it was better than half a dozen new threads.

Good info, cheers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy