Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Emergency Innsbruck/ Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Well… we have just flown into Munich after a long delay trying to get to Innsbruck (aborted landing and diversion).. we’re on our way to Obergurgl.

There are going to be coaches but wondering if anyone has ever got a cab from Munich to a ski resort, will a normal cab take us? If anyone has an idea of price even better! (We were hopeful for an afternoon skiing, just want to get there now!)

Thanks lovely snowheads
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Train or transfer.

You can get a train through to Otzal Bahnhof if you connect via Kufstein. Then bus/ taxi last leg
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is airline not bussing you to INN anyway?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get the train
Bayern ticket to Kufstein then normal ÖBB
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Soozm, what was the issues at Innsbruc, snow?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks both! Train tricky as we have a lot of stuff, yes the airline are organising a bus but we’re weighing up times vs cost now
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh except BA have said this… unbelievable

BA684 - We are sorry your flight to Innsbruck was diverted to Munich. As we hope our staff explained, the diversion was due to local weather conditions in Innsbruck. Despite our best efforts we've been unable to find alternative transportation to get you to your final destination. Therefore, we kindly request that you make your own arrangements to travel to your final destination. Please look out for an email with further information. British Airways
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Soozm, personally I'd either take a taxi all the way, or a train and taxi if that's quicker/easier. BA is supposed to sort you out itself (buses, taxis etc.) but if they've effectively abandoned you, then you can incur "reasonable costs" to rectify the situation. That means no private jet/helicopter trips, but rental car or taxi strikes me as reasonable.

BA is pretty good about refunding a few hundred quid/person of "duty of care" costs in these situations.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes we managed to nab the first big cab we saw and are on our way… sorry for all the drama!! Will take some snow photos tomorrow to make up for it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Innsbruck is incredibly unreliable due to low cloud and fog, remember EasyJet flying in from Bristol, pilot had two attempts to land and pulled out, diverted to Munich to fuel up, couldn’t lay on any transfer busses, went back to Innsbruck, said he would “give it a go” tried twice, then landed us at Salzburg. Ended up hiring a car to drive to Ischgl. What looked like a half day of extra skiing turned in to us missing an evening meal.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure what's wrong with BA at the moment, have had two cancellations and serious delays in last few times I have flown with them. Better be OK for next one as skiing on the other side Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Taxi it is then as long as you have funds to pay
Claim back from BA
Cant believe they cant come up with transport though
Regular event over the winter that flights for Austria end up in Munich
3.5 TO 4 hour drive I think
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Soozm, The train is a lot of faff from the airport especially if you have skis etc and you have no hope of getting the next direct one (around 17:35 from Hauptbahnhof). I think your best option is a taxi bus of some sort but expect a bill of around €500. A rental car might be quicker. Unlikely to get to Obergurgl until around 22:00 even if you find a bus quickly. Likely to be snow in the Tirol later which will slow things down.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Soozm, Well done!

If you arrive too late in resort to go to the Supermarket, it would be worth including your restaurant dinner bill in the claim to BA (without booze, which I think is excluded).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The problem in Innsbruck will be fog – there is a low-lying band in the valley which has hung around all day and may still be there tomorrow.
latest report
surely aborted landing is pilot error & you can claim for compensation?
Easyjet landed at 13:23 & a Vienna flights at 12:59 & 14:19

Schedule
Flight number
from / via
Info
09:55
U2 8693easyJet (A320)
London LGW
landed 13:23
10:10
LH 6912EN 8050Air Dolomiti (E195)
Frankfurt
cancelled
10:30
OS 0903Austrian Airlines (E195)
Vienna
landed 12:59
10:50
EW 7278Eurowings (A319)
Hamburg
landed 13:40
11:30
BA 0684BRITISH AIRWAYS (A320)
London LHR
diverted
13:05
BA 0686BRITISH AIRWAYS (A320)
London LHR
diverted
13:45
OS 0905Austrian Airlines (E195)
Vienna
landed 14:19
13:50
LH 6914EN 8052Air Dolomiti (E195)
Frankfurt
landed 14:14
17:40
BA 2622BRITISH AIRWAYS (A320)
London LGW
delayed
18:10
OS 0901Austrian Airlines (E195)
Vienna
delayed
22:50
LH 6918EN 8056Air Dolomiti (E195)
Frankfurt
ski holidays
@Snowsartre,
Snowsartre wrote:
Not sure what's wrong with BA at the moment, have had two cancellations and serious delays in last few times I have flown with them. Better be OK for next one as skiing on the other side Toofy Grin

They been pretty shash for a few years now. Cancelled several flights for me. Lost my luggage. Left me stranded in London for 2 days. The website is a shambles too. They really must get their act together. Although I've been let down by KLM twice recently and Lufthansa last year.

The unfairly deamonised Mr O'Leary, on the other, hand has never let me down.
snow conditions
@Gored, Not in this case, it was foggy early doors this morning. Innsbruck is a tricky approach and rivals Chambery for delays and special procedures. The approach from one end involves a dog leg at the last minute and there’s also an obstruction fairly close in.
Some aircraft can do a fairly plucky low level departure where others may not, so some may be diverted for ‘operational reasons’.

Sometimes, it’s just down to luck with blowing fog patches.

The airlines and TOs don’t mention difficulties like this, but thanks to the joy of snowHeads!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 9-12-23 20:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Soozm wrote:
Oh except BA have said this… unbelievable

BA684 - We are sorry your flight to Innsbruck was diverted to Munich. As we hope our staff explained, the diversion was due to local weather conditions in Innsbruck. Despite our best efforts we've been unable to find alternative transportation to get you to your final destination. Therefore, we kindly request that you make your own arrangements to travel to your final destination. Please look out for an email with further information. British Airways

Incredible! Shocked
snow conditions
Innsbruck is an airport that can be affected by weather.
We have had a few delays but only failed to get out once.
You then find out how helpful your airline is.
We were with Jet 2 who sorted hotel for the night. A bit slow but lots of flights did not get in.
Acquaintance was on Easy jet they were just advised to find their own accommodation which is not what you want to here at the end of a long day.
This was 2022 and there were flight diverted to Munich but due to the covid regs at the time were not allowed of the plane. Plane refueled and returned to uk.
snow conditions
This is an interesting description of an emergency Laughing

Glad you made it in the end.
snow report
@swskier, haha yes I am a little bit embarrassed at my emergency Laughing description now I’m in my comfy hotel! I think maybe I meant to say urgent or similar! The drama carried on a bit as our German taxi couldn’t take us all the way (because of the snow yippee! He stopped at a random hotel on the road to Solden and arranged with the owner for a local taxi driver to meet us there and sorted out our fair between them so we didn’t pay more. A lovely man. I’ll stop the drama now but thank you sooo much everyone for the responses!!
snow conditions
Reading reactions here it appears some people would have advised the pilot to take the risk.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Soozm, How much was taxi?
snow report
@Soozm, maybe worth naming your taxi driver/company and the Solden hotel - sounds like they did a good job of getting you there in difficult circumstances and future snowHeads might benefit.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Gored, Not in this case, it was foggy early doors this morning. Innsbruck is a tricky approach and rivals Chambery for delays and special procedures. The approach from one end involves a dog leg at the last minute and there’s also an obstruction fairly close in.
Some aircraft can do a fairly plucky low level departure where others may not, so some may be diverted for ‘operational reasons’.

Sometimes, it’s just down to luck with blowing fog patches.

The airlines and TOs don’t mention difficulties like this, but thanks to the joy of snowHeads!

yeah, it could have been because the type of aircraft. Both 684 & 686 circled for nearly an hour before trying to land & aborting.
I am aware of the Innsbruck difficulty & Cham with the lake that like to attract fog!
latest report
Good shout on taxi rather than car hire.

We had our flight from Pisa to Bristol cancelled by Easyjet in May. They could only offer us a flight to Gatwick two days later, which was fine, except my car was at Bristol Airport.
We enquired via Twitter (as that's usually the fastest way to get a response) about hiring a car to get us back to Bristol, but were told that that was an 'unreasonable expense' and that 'reasonable' covered buses, trains, and taxis. There was a train strike that particular weekend, and the coach wasn't even a consideration due to the time and the faff. So we got a taxi for £280.

Ridiculous really, when car hire would have been the cheaper option, as we checked.
snow conditions
Owlette wrote:
Good shout on taxi rather than car hire.

We had our flight from Pisa to Bristol cancelled by Easyjet in May. They could only offer us a flight to Gatwick two days later, which was fine, except my car was at Bristol Airport.
We enquired via Twitter (as that's usually the fastest way to get a response) about hiring a car to get us back to Bristol, but were told that that was an 'unreasonable expense' and that 'reasonable' covered buses, trains, and taxis. There was a train strike that particular weekend, and the coach wasn't even a consideration due to the time and the faff. So we got a taxi for £280.

Ridiculous really, when car hire would have been the cheaper option, as we checked.

When everything factored, extra fees for car newsroom off being different from collection, refuel costs, stones charged for damage you didn't cause if using Europcar , might not be that much in it
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:

When everything factored, extra fees for car newsroom off being different from collection, refuel costs, stones charged for damage you didn't cause if using Europcar , might not be that much in it

Good point, though a bit puzzled by "newsroom off" text. Puzzled
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Good point, though a bit puzzled by "newsroom off" text. Puzzled

Frankly so am I.... god knows what I typed to trigger that autocorrect!
snow conditions
It took me three ski holidays to successfully land at Innsbruck! First time diverted to Munich, second time Salzburg. One of the advantages of booking a package was all we had to do was wait in the bar for the coaches to eventually turn up!
snow conditions
SAPhil wrote:
It took me three ski holidays to successfully land at Innsbruck! First time diverted to Munich, second time Salzburg. One of the advantages of booking a package was all we had to do was wait in the bar for the coaches to eventually turn up!

If you are on package the TO have buses of folk they are wanting to get in the other direction as well and want to avoid extra hotel bills. Though the time it happened to us the flight had never left Edinburgh and it was Jet2 that sorted out hotel etc. Had a nice night out in Innsbruck.
Divershion to Munich or Salzburg is the more common action though.
snow conditions
The reason we never fly into Innsbruck- happens pretty frequently
snow report
@snowyc, @mgrolf, The more I think about it the more grateful I am to the taxi drivers and the hotel that sorted it out. The driver was just lovely, even bought us both a coffee without asking when he stopped to pay the toll. The taxi company was just the ones from the rank at Munich airport, we only have his first name but I am trying to contact them to say thanks. The hotel was the Bergwelt, before going get to Solden.

We paid e800 for a maxi taxi (mercedes van). The normal taxis were saying 600 but we had a bid double ski bag plus 2 large suitcases (had boots, helmets etc). Obviously it’s really expensive and we hope to get the Innsbruck portion back but this trip is me and a friend, we’ve scrounged 4 days away without kids and really wanted to get to the resort in time for our lesson yesterday! We are leaving again on weds.

Alls well that ends well but I just hope all the passengers were able to move on without too much hassle. We are very lucky to have had access to the funds for the cab.
ski holidays
Ahh, apologies for all the typos! Fat fingers and no reading glasses Embarassed
latest report
@Soozm,
for 800 euro I'd be your best friend for a couple of hours snowHead
You probably made his week. Expecting a few euro fair to the city centre
latest report
Yes we thought that exactly!! Not sure he had thought it through when we got to that mountain road and very heavy snow, I imagine the money was starting to look less generous then Very Happy Uber xl was showing 700 so glad we had the nice man who was thoughtful enough to go to the hotel, talk to the owner and pay a share of the fare to the next driver! I quite like the thought he had a better weekend because of our predicament Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy