Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Logistics around Megevé in January

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning to go to Passy near Megevé for 1 week in mid January.

Is it a sensible idea to not buy the lift passes until I arrive?

Then intent is to see the snow conditions upon arrival and decide then whether to ski in Espace Diamant, Evasion Mont Blanc or somewhere a bit further away.

I'v read some of the quite information threads, but are entirely unfamiliar with skiing in France and are hoping that someone with a bit of knowledge can let me know if there are something I might not have considered...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't see any problem with that idea.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m assuming that you are going to have a car, then yes I agree don’t get your pass until you’re there & you can do whatever resort on what ever day you fancy, you’ll also have access to Chamonix or even Italy if you’re adventurous
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mid January is a quiet time, and therefore a good time to visit. You certainly don't need to worry about buying a lift pass in advance. I would just note that Passy is some way from Megeve - you'll have a car, presumably? Chamonix will also be an option. Depends what you're wanting!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, renting a car in Lyon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Appreciate the answers.

Hoping to find some not too crowded, intermediate terrain.

Maybe have a first try at off piste, if I can find something that is not too intimidating and lift accessible (I don't have touring boots).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ask again nearer the time, when conditions will be clearer. The Espace Diamant is ideal for not too crowded, intermediate terrain and some non-intimidating, lift accessible and not instantly tracked out off piste. It will be very quiet in mid-January and easily accessed from Praz sur Arly, an easy enough drive up from Passy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can always buy lift passes on the day. For Evasion Mont Blanc you can get 10% off (I think it is) buying a week in advance online.

As others say, Passy is down in the valley and you will need to use your car to access any ski area. You will probably find St Gervais an easier entry point to the joint ski area with Megeve, but as you recognise you also have the option to head straight to Combloux or Les Contamines (on the same lift pass) or go beyond Megeve to Espace Diamant. Or indeed up the valley to one of the Chamonix sub-areas.

So nothing really wrong with your plan. You will have to get up fairly early to drive wherever and negotiate whatever parking arrangements there happen to be (shouldn't be too problematic in mid-January) and decide whether you will do all your skiing in one area and buy a week pass, or swap around and buy day passes according to where you decide to pitch up. You should be OK with ski conditions - though this last year they did have a problem around that time - and the three areas give you far more mileage than you could do in a week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy