Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That's why they close the lifts when it gets breezy.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/zvtvAGqUcdw
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New fear unlocked. Or rather an old fear rekindled.

I had the misfortune of being on the large gondola going down from the top of Cervinia in winds like that 20 years ago. It was absolutely terrifying. The small bubble down from the midway point was equally as bad, but somehow less terrifying.

If I was on skis I would have skied down instead, but I was learning to board at the time and wasn’t equipped to make it down under my own steam.

I have managed to avoid large gondolas ever since.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a fear of telecabins after an incident about 5 years ago. Watching this video, I'm just telling myself that it's amazing what sort of winds these lifts can withstand. Even though it looks scary and uncomfortable, it doesn't look like anyone was badly hurt.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The big take away from that video for me is just how much force the clamps can take and how safe the whole system is. take this technology to the next level with something like the New 3S system with 3 separate cables and its even safer!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was *slightly* reassuring that the chairs with passengers were not actually rocking very much. Note to self: not a good thing, after all, to ride up alone, at least when it's windy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
……or go back to surface lifts and you just let go and ski away snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
It was *slightly* reassuring that the chairs with passengers were not actually rocking very much
You missed the very first chair shown on the clip then @AndreaC? Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did! Fat fingered jab on my phone = I jumped to the 2nd section......Yes, stuff of nightmares. But I'll keep telling myself there were only 2 skiers on a 4 seater. Laughing

In my imagination, this is what it looked like when I was on the old single seater fixed grip at the top of Niseko. My sister and i were doing the "Brr it's cold in here" cheer from the movie "Bring It On" and in our overenthusiastic mimicking of cheerleaders, set our chairs rocking realistically ~15-20 degrees - which was frightening enough, vs those seats going at least 45-60 degrees in this clip
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
It was *slightly* reassuring that the chairs with passengers were not actually rocking very much
You missed the very first chair shown on the clip then @AndreaC? Laughing

And that’s why covered chairs are pretty rare on the West Coast across North America. The bubbles can knock anything from 10 to 20mph of the wind tolerance depending of the lift line and more prone to getting into severe motion like that first one.

Storm day doesn’t mean stay at home, it means a powder day out there and anything that reduces lift operating windows is not welcome! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndreaC wrote:
It was *slightly* reassuring that the chairs with passengers were not actually rocking very much. Note to self: not a good thing, after all, to ride up alone, at least when it's windy.

This could also be good justification for more cheese / chips / gateau etc... I know the mass doesn't really effect the speed of a pendulum, but it must change the acceleration to start with, and there must be some sort of dampening effect going on there as well, so I'll play on the safe side at the breakfast buffet and mid mountain snacks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having double portions breakfast and then being in one of those… doesn’t bear thinking about.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
enduroaid wrote:
The big take away from that video for me is just how much force the clamps can take and how safe the whole system is. take this technology to the next level with something like the New 3S system with 3 separate cables and its even safer!

Also interesting to see how some chairs swing a lot and close ones not much or at all. Guess it's all to do with exactly how the local wind gust/strength/direction, cable bounce/length, and chairs interact.

Not sure what 3 cable chairlifts would do to the lift ticket price! Shocked Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
And that’s why covered chairs are pretty rare on the West Coast across North America.
How we wished we'd had a cover after over an hour stuck in the shade on a sub-zero day at Nakiska a few years ago Laughing We were fearing hypothermia by the time we were eventually evacuated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
And that’s why covered chairs are pretty rare on the West Coast across North America.
How we wished we'd had a cover after over an hour stuck in the shade on a sub-zero day at Nakiska a few years ago Laughing We were fearing hypothermia by the time we were eventually evacuated.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy