Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CRYSTAL SKI

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, we are about to travel with Crystal ski to Les Arcs….. I will be taking 2 sets of skis/ poles and 1 set of boots in my bag. ( under 15kg)

I’m reading that it’s £50 / set of skis in a single bag.

Can anyone confirm their experience? Do Crystal Ski really check when handing bag over?

Thx Max
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KTM450, Don't know, but it won't be Crystal at the checking desk, that's the airline's job. They probably won't care.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn’t say that when we booked as we booked 1 bag for 2 skis & it comes to 15kg including the 2 sets of poles! We leave in a week!! We have this huge 75kg total included luggage allowance for 2 adults and a 4 year already so would seem ludicrous to buy more.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You must have real light stuff btw or maybe our bags heavy..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had 2 pairs + boots and 1 pair + snowboard + 2 pair of boots in one bag before, they never checked.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Crystal are quite clear about 1 pair of skis per bag, unless 2 pairs are paid for and it remains under the weight limit of 23kg.

As well as raising revenue, it's about whether the skis are insured and whether you qualify for free ski hire if they go missing.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 17-12-23 20:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We flew out yesterday from Manchester with Crystal on a TUI flight. No-one looked in our ski bag and nothing was said about it being 15.4kg.
As far as I can remember they've always said only one pair of skis per bag but I've never known them check and we've probably had a dozen trips with them over the years flying from Manchester or Birmingham.

I might be wrong but I think the 15kg weight limit is new and it used to be 20kg?

I'm sure the one pair per bag thing is to limit their liability if the plane is too heavy and they decide to leave your skis behind. They'll only have to cover the hire of one pair.

The TUI check-in at Manchester is pretty chaotic, I doubt they could organise looking in ski bags as well. If your taking skis it's a separate queue and a bloke takes your boarding card and wanders off somewhere then 10 minutes later wanders back with a tag for the ski bag. Then you take the ski bag to the oversize bag drop and that's the first time it's weighed and the guy manning that isn't working for TUI so probably isn't that bothered.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interestingly our flight was late leaving as the baggage manifest wasn't correct so the captain didn't know the weight of the bags and couldn't take off until it was sorted. He said it's done in Casablanca and sent by email.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think it just needs to come within the overall hold luggage weight for the booking and you should be fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been with Crystal loads, always had 2 sets of skis in the bag. As long as it's under the weight that's all that's ever checked.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sailbad the Sinner wrote:
Interestingly our flight was late leaving as the baggage manifest wasn't correct so the captain didn't know the weight of the bags and couldn't take off until it was sorted. He said it's done in Casablanca and sent by email.....

"Send it again, Sam" Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I also seriously doubt that their insurance is so prescriptive they wouldn’t cover 2 pairs of lost skis!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rh2205 wrote:
I also seriously doubt that their insurance is so prescriptive they wouldn’t cover 2 pairs of lost skis!

I think you are giving them too much credit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been numerous times with a coffin bag and never been checked. TUI self check in, print your own tickets, no one cares.
latest report
Rh2205 wrote:
You've only paid for one pair, so if the bag goes missing they will only pay out for one pair. Otherwise everyone would be claiming there were 2 (or more) pairs in their missing bag!
ski holidays
We always put 2 sets of skis in my bag , but only book 1 ski carriage
ski holidays
I think Crystal changed their terms recently - 2 years ago? Used to be ski carriage was one pair of skis n poles, now it's just a bag up to 15kg, no restriction on contents
snow report
As someone who occasionally drives and loads the bus from Calgary to Banff for Crystal tranfers, I GUARANTEE that the average ski bag has more than 1 pair of skis in it, and weighs more than 15kg! Eh oh!
ski holidays
geoff10 wrote:
I think Crystal changed their terms recently - 2 years ago? Used to be ski carriage was one pair of skis n poles, now it's just a bag up to 15kg, no restriction on contents

Current Ski Carriage rules from Crystal:

Ski and snowboard carriage

You can buy ski and snowboard carriage on the Flight Extras website. It's sold per set of skis or snowboard (not per bag) – one set of skis or one snowboard in one bag costs £50 and the maximum weight is 15kg. To take two sets of skis or two snowboards in one bag, you must buy two lots of ski or snowboard carriage at £50 each and the total maximum weight is 23kg.

You can also pack clothes in the bag, as long as it doesn't go over the weight limit.

Ski/snowboard boots aren’t included in ski or snowboard carriage – these are part of your normal baggage allowance and must be checked into the hold.

Please note, you can’t bring your skis or snowboard instead of your checked baggage – you must book separate ski or snowboard carriage, even if you’re not bringing any checked baggage.

You can use one of the larger wheelie bags by paying the £50 ski or snowboard carriage charge, with a checked baggage allowance of 23kg total. If you choose this option, you can't take any other checked baggage.

Why book ski or snowboard carriage before you travel:

It's cheaper than paying at the airport (£60 per set of skis/board at the airport).

We guarantee to transport your equipment to your accommodation in resort.

If your equipment doesn't arrive on your flight, we'll arrange intermediate ski or board equipment hire for free until yours gets there.
snow conditions
Given how parsimonious they are with main baggage allowances (normally 20kg... for a flippin ski trip!), I'm almost surprised they are not policing this to gouge a few more quid out of passengers, a la Ryanair.

But as previously indicated, incompetence and indifference are probably the OP's friends here...
ski holidays
We're flying with Crystal this Saturday with 2 pairs of skis in one paid for ski bag, Luton to Innsbruck. Will let you know how it goes!
snow conditions
Well we checked in with our big ski bags with pillows 2 skis & a Christmas tree in. No one weighed or checked it. Pretty sure all in including our main luggage we were almost 10kg over the baggage allowance, one back was 25.4kg… so glad they weren’t a jobsworth.
snow report
hope your Christmas dinner gets through Ok !! (post Brexit regulations....?!?)
latest report
Yes it did, my mouth is watering already!
ski holidays
So we've flown back today from Verona and they were even less interested in our ski bag and didn't weigh it or look inside.
They did however get quite picky with the party of 4 in front of us at check-in. Between the 4 of them their bags were 5kg over, so a whopping 1.2kg each. They ended up unpacking one of the cases at the desk and taking a pair of ski boots as hand luggage.
ski holidays
We were an hour late leaving Verona. It was difficult to hear the pilot's explanation but I think he said he had been "detained by security" at Manchester prior to the outbound flight this morning!
Then we had to wait an hour for our skis to appear at baggage reclaim. Welcome to Manchester, Britain's third world airport.
latest report
Well given all our other bags were at or just over the 20kg limit we obviously got off lightly when we handed them the 25kg suitcase which they had to put a big manual handling heavy load sticker on Eh oh! . We had planned to argue but our cabin luggage isn’t 10kg, but it never got that far..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be fair, I think that the airline should weigh the passenger and the baggage.
snow conditions
Seeing the cost of carriage and allowing for servicing / fettling, and always having a relatively recent set of skis, I'm reminded why I always rent.

Admittedly, for longer than a week the economics do start to change and I do get the concept of having a set of skis you really like, but for a week away, not having to cart skis to and from has much going for it.
latest report
ronniescott wrote:
To be fair, I think that the airline should weigh the passenger and the baggage.

100% agree, lard aŕses should be charged for excess weight
snow report
@ronniescott - plus one for that, an all up weight allowance for passenger and all baggage. Downside is the Harp carrying ConAir would likely impose a 50kg limit!
snow report
Totally agree, I weigh 50kg so am almost half a male adult. I’d of brought our real tree from home if that was the case Eh oh! .

Having skis & being able to take whatever weird items seems to work out well, but then we ski at least 2 seperate weeks a season & ours are cheap decathlon type ones, I don’t feel we are using worse skis than we used to hire. Certainly look nicer & it can’t be that much of a hassle if we manage it with a small child.
latest report
Quote:

Totally agree, I weigh 50kg so am almost half a male adult.

How much do you think adult males weigh? I think I know only one who is over 100kg.

Overall I think it should be the combined weight of passenger and luggage that is taken into account. But I doubt if that will ever happen. Meanwhile we all live in dread of being stuck between two fat people on a flight.

The EASA survey found the following weights of passengers:
Quote:

Male passengers have a mean weight of 82.2 kg, which is 14.7 kg more than the average female passenger (67.5 kg).
Male passengers take more carry-on luggage with them than female passengers. Business passengers take more than leisure travellers. Medium and long-haul passengers take more than short-haul passengers.
The average weight of checked luggage, which is always limited by the luggage policies of the airlines, was 0.8kg less than stated in the 2008-9 study and averaged 16 kg.

The 2021-22 survey concludes that the mean value of all passengers is 76.3 kg. The carry-on weight is on average 7.7 kg. So, the mean passenger weight for adults plus the carry-on luggage is 84.0 kg.

Which is why you may find the pilot asking if someone will take a bump if the flight is entirely male passengers
snow report
I did say almost!! I suspect the demographic of people who go skiing & the sorts of people they mix with are lighter than the average, which is why you know so few on the heavier side, as much as people hate to admit it they probably mix with all very similar people. I bet the next survey shows British males creeping towards the US 90kg average weight.
snow conditions
@Rh2205, you haven't been on a bash have you Very Happy
snow report
Rh2205 wrote:

Not this one
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

How much do you think adult males weigh? I think I know only one who is over 100kg.

Overall I think it should be the combined weight of passenger and luggage that is taken into account. But I doubt if that will ever happen. Meanwhile we all live in dread of being stuck between two fat people on a flight.

The EASA survey found the following weights of passengers:
Quote:

Male passengers have a mean weight of 82.2 kg, which is 14.7 kg more than the average female passenger (67.5 kg).
Male passengers take more carry-on luggage with them than female passengers. Business passengers take more than leisure travellers. Medium and long-haul passengers take more than short-haul passengers.
The average weight of checked luggage, which is always limited by the luggage policies of the airlines, was 0.8kg less than stated in the 2008-9 study and averaged 16 kg.

The 2021-22 survey concludes that the mean value of all passengers is 76.3 kg. The carry-on weight is on average 7.7 kg. So, the mean passenger weight for adults plus the carry-on luggage is 84.0 kg.

Which is why you may find the pilot asking if someone will take a bump if the flight is entirely male passengers

Average tubby 82.2kg and you're allowed 15 in your ski bag. I hereby claim free ski carriage from now on
snow conditions
MorningGory wrote:
@KTM450, Don't know, but it won't be Crystal at the checking desk, that's the airline's job. They probably won't care.

Airline is Tui *
Crystal is Tui
Check in staff are Tui

The check in rules are Tui's. How it's enforced depends on the person at the desk and perhaps how busy they are, and maybe how much pressure they get from their manager.

* - in most cases bar the odd rare package to destination where they have to resort to a scheduled flight
ski holidays
Travelled many times with Crystal and paid for one bag packed with 2 sets of ski's and poles. Our bag and contents weigh just 15.4 KG just .4 over the advertised limit. We've never been challenged. I do like to live life on the edge though Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy