Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help to stop my feet falling off

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Snowheads. Need your guidance please.

Skiing hurts my feet. Always has but was bearable in the past.

10 years ago I got custom boots (which I no longer have )fitted to deal with pain in my big toe as well as a sore little toe. The boots were blown out and lessened the pain but didn’t get rid of it completely. I think I fastened my boots too tight across the toes and it may have made things worse.

We’re going skiing in Jan so we warmed up at Chill Factore last weekend and I was in agony!

The problem: The outside of my foot (5th metatarsal) hurts like hell. My pinkie and the toe next to it go numb and then hurt like hell.

I will have no choice but to wear the boots I’m given at UCPA.

What should I buy to try and lessen the pain? I can’t get new custom boots so need an off the shelf option I can at least try!

TIA

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-12-23 13:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get your shells stretched as required at a boot fitter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don’t have them anymore sadly
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris_n wrote:
Get your shells stretched as required at a boot fitter.

Yes this. It's easy process if you tell a boot fitter where the pain is and they will stretch it, small cost to get it done either in UK or in resort.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unfortunately I don’t have my custom
Boots anymore
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In spite of your comment that you can't get new custom boots: it is indeed past time for you to get new boots custom-fitted by a capable person/shop, and don't stop working with them until they fit without pain. If you start with the right boot and put in the effort to tweak them, which may well take some trips back and forth to get it right, you will solve your problem instead of kicking the can down the road. Messing with your ten year old boots that hurt you seems like a waste of time. Your bod may be different now as well.

Boots don't have to hurt. I have the same foot issue, and I buckle my boots in the morning and don't touch them again until I unbuckle in the afternoon. No pain. Its worth the effort it took to get there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't put up with foot issues - they only compound and steal the joy you get from a ski holiday. That unfortunately probably means spending on your own boots and getting them punched/stretched around the sixth toe. It's a fairly standard mod so most bootfitters (as distinct from sellers) should be able to do it. Otherwise you're at the mercy of whatever wide fits they have in the fleet at UCPA or trailing round rental shops looking for something more suitable.

Alternately you could snowboard.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bezthespaniard wrote:

The problem: The outside of my food (5th metatarsal) hurts like hell. My pinkie and the toe next to it go numb and then hurt like hell.

I had something similar. Fixed by a properly fitted boot (with some modification) and most importantly a custom made foot bed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Alternately you could snowboard

Yes, I wondered that too. Given your very long-standing problems with ski boots.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bezthespaniard, I found similar issue at MK before skiing in March, it did however ease off when skiing as I think my boots loosened slightly and my feet grew used to it. Again this was a 3-year gap due to Covid
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bezthespaniard, buy some new boots from a respected boot fitter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bezthespaniard wrote:

Why no choice?

Can you not afford to buy custom fitted boots or some other reason?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obvious comment, but you should wear the thinnest of ski socks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There isnt an easy answer except for a well fitted pair of your own.
Anything else will be sheer luck!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Why no choice?

The wife will kill me if I buy some
latest report
bezthespaniard wrote:
Layne wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Why no choice?

Either your wife will kill you, or the boots will Laughing

If your on a budget, buy some boots and get them blown to accommodate your feet, they don’t need to be top end ones, they may not feel like slippers but they will be better than being in such pain.
ski holidays
Cheers everyone. Think I will just risk the marital trouble and get some custom fit.

Snow and rock offer a free fitting and custom footbed with a new pair of boots. Anyone can recommend them?
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard, Manufacturers do make 'High Volume' boots - they might help ??
latest report
bezthespaniard wrote:
Cheers everyone. Think I will just risk the marital trouble and get some custom fit.

Snow and rock offer a free fitting and custom footbed with a new pair of boots. Anyone can recommend them?

No! But it might be worth hitting where in the UK you are for people to recommend.
Or start here www.skibootpro.co.uk/Findabootfitter.html
snow conditions
bezthespaniard wrote:

Where do you live?

Don't go on price. It will be worth each trip when you can wear your boots all day, buckled up without any issue.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Where do you live?

Don't go on price. It will be worth each trip when you can wear your boots all day, buckled up without any issue.

Manchester
ski holidays
Collin at Solutions for feet in Bicester is one of the best. A bit of a trek but worth it.
snow report
For Manchester Rivington alpine

https://rivingtonalpine.co.uk/
snow conditions
MorningGory wrote:
Collin at Solutions for feet in Bicester is one of the best. A bit of a trek but worth it.

They were very helpful when I called today but I priced it up and it’s not worth it for the one week every other year I go skiing.
snow conditions
Ok, if buying boots is not an option, the best you can do is get your feet properly measured and work out what size/model of boot are a reasonable fit for your foot width, instep, etc. Next, how flexible are your ankles/how tight are your calves? A lot of foot numbness comes from inflexible ankles/tight calves meaning that when you flex, instead of moving at the ankle, your foot lifts into the upper of the boot. Muscle rolling your calves might help a little.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 6-12-23 9:07; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
£600 one off, or £70? a week rental and no enjoyment due to pain. Think about it, it makes all the difference
latest report
bezthespaniard wrote:
Layne wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Why no choice?

It'd cure your foot problems. Toofy Grin
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:
Layne wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Why no choice?

Hire a wheelchair, or borrow one. Insist that your wife pushes you around everywhere for a week.
By Day 3 she’ll let you have the boots. Or ask for a divorce.
Win-win.

Follow me for more marriage advice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bezthespaniard,
Quote:

it’s not worth it for the one week every other year I go skiing.

If the pain is so severe you ruin your skiing then you'll have wasted the cost of your holiday, no?
snow report
Use your persuasive skills, custom made boots are a game changer. Until I bit the bullet, I’ve often had painful feet (insteps) in owned or rental boots, overnight that disappeared. The boots, fitted in St Anton, are still going strong 15 years later.
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:

Perfect excuse to go more often I would have thought.

On a serious note mozwold is right, skiing holidays are not cheap whichever way you do it. And if you can't enjoy the skiing (because your feet are killing you) then really why do it?

£600 now will get you 20 weeks skiing - do the maths.
snow report
The op along with most replys assumes the issue is solely equipment fault .
Bootfit from someone like S4F is the answer to bootfit or that question .

The footpain issue can largely be a physical lack of flexion in the 1st instance which is a personal physical issue..... where bootfit is a secondary equipment issue .

Timmych5 above mentions a lack of flexion above I bet he is at least partly if not 100% correct
Cem also mentions a lack of flexion/physical cond to ski in every footpain thread over about the last dozen years on here actually its probably longer than that

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 6-12-23 11:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@bezthespaniard,
Don't do it at Snow & Rock, I don't think the staff would have enough experience to do a good job on you.
I have spent an afternoon in Snow & Rock having boots fitted that were fine in the shop but killed my feet after 1 hour of skiing.

It would be worth a trip to Cambridge to "Ski Exchange"
Excellent boot lab, but you have to ring up and make an appointment.

Someone must know if there is a good boot fitter near Manchester?

We had a great presentation from Ski Bartlett about boots a couple of weeks ago, I learnt a lot about ski boots that I just did not know.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
@bezthespaniard,
Someone must know if there is a good boot fitter near Manchester?

Yes already posted. OP could make an appointment, take your old boots and see what they recommend?
latest report
@bezthespaniard,
[/quote]
The cost of the boot will be spread out over many trips. Work out how much it is per trip. How does it compare to renting?

Provided you got your new boots fitted by a GOOD boot fitter, your feet will be far happier so you could ski a long day, day after day. Perhaps the extra skiing will be “worth it” already?

In the end, the cost of the flight, lodging, lift pass, hired skis/boots… all adds up! It’s probably cheaper to spend a week at the beach instead of ruining your feet by skiing in ill-fitted boots.
ski holidays
Rivington Alpine is the place to go for boot-fitting if you live in Manchester. I wouldn't trust Snow and Rock to do a proper job of it.
latest report
bezthespaniard wrote:
Layne wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Why no choice?

She sounds like a caring soul - preferring you to be in agony! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:

Only in the sense that I can recommend that you stay the Be Nice please! away from them.
ski holidays
Some people don't have feet issues. I have a friend who buys boots and then skis in them - I think last time he didn't even bother thermoforming the liners. No problems for him.

Whereas in the past I've had to keel over in the snow and scream due to pain in my feet, and not just once (and even worse, it sometimes happened on powder days, robbing me of that enjoyment)

Properly fitted boots solved that. It did take several trips to the bootfitter (and for that reason I'm in awe of bootfitters who can do it all in one session in the UK - I wouldn't have thought it would work but it clearly does given the number of satisfied customers).

There is absolutely no way I would go back to poorly fitting boots. In your situation, I would suggest explaining this to your wife, and if money is really an issue try to find some savings somewhere else.
latest report
CathS wrote:
Rivington Alpine is the place to go for boot-fitting if you live in Manchester. I wouldn't trust Snow and Rock to do a proper job of it.

Yea

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 6-12-23 15:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy