Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Flaine hire car or transfer?

Poster: A snowHead
What's the best way? Happy to drive but not sure about parking in Flaine (staying in P&V La Foret) or if there's any benefit to having a car whilst we're there.
3 adults, 2 with their own boards to fit in, last week of Jan, Saturday transfers (arrive late Friday & booked into airport hotel, late Saturday flight home so plenty of time.
Not been to Flaine before.
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't need a car unless you want to go further than grand massif, you may also struggle with getting car park closer than your hotel. If for any reason you need cheap taxi hitchhiking works really well (I got stuck on the wrong side of grand massif after closure). The only question is how much is car vs. transfer for 3 people. Cheapest way could be bus to the airport but from the airport I would be worried about flight/bag arriving too late.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Car hire vs transfer looks similar cost-wise.
Bus would be OK as we arrive the night before and have a late flight home, any idea how to find out about the bus (I'm assuming they have plenty of luggage space?)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would consider Geneva to Cluses + change to Flaine on a local bus or taxi. But if cost is similar I always prefer car. It gives you more flexibility, e.g. when weather is worse.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks like there's parking behind the la foret buildings (up the hill not right behind) is that likely to have space?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No idea, sorry. I would check this:
https://www.grand-massif.com/en/resort-map-and-car-parks/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry I've assumed that you know everything! Very Happy
I'll discuss with the others and probably go for a car. Anyone else's experiences greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a difficult decision, this, if a car is not likely to be much help when you're there and there's not much difference in cost. If it snows during the week digging it out (best done quickly) will be a pain, if there is no underground parking available. And you might need to fit chains if, as you hope, it's chucking it down just before you get there. Generally I'd prefer a car, but the time taken picking up a car can be annoying - and unpredictable. I'd suggest a chat with the tourist office. You haven't said when you're going - that might affect the decision.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vickitav wrote:

With three of you, I had wondered that. In which case it comes down to the hassle factor For me car would have greater hassle unless you would use it during your stay (issues of pick-up, the need to fill tank before return and take shuttle to airport from drop-off point, and finding and possibly paying for parking).

As above, cheapest but slowest would be to take the train to Cluses and then a local service bus up to Flaine. There are trains from Geneva every hour, though some need a change in Annemasse; there is an airport station and you would first need to go the one stop to Geneva central. You would have to check bus times onward to Flaine, likely to be less frequent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vickitav wrote:
Bus would be OK as we arrive the night before and have a late flight home, any idea how to find out about the bus (I'm assuming they have plenty of luggage space?)

Google is your friend Toofy Grin

Altibus appear to have twice daily services between Geneva Airport and Flaine, working out at €60 return per head. They'll be set up for luggage including skis / boards.

Alternatively there seem to be companies offering shared transfers, including Go Massif, which looks like it would work out at about twice the price.

You could even mix and match between the 2, especially if you're trying to maximise skiing time on departure day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, I know there's Google but it much nicer to ask you knowledgeable types Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And we're going the last week of January, so relatively high season but (hopefully) not school hols.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Altibus sounds good to me!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And last week in January is a great choice.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you do decide on a hire car you get the huge advantage of being able to stock up on groceries at the SuperU in Magland at the bottom of the hill up to Flaine. In Jan you may need chains which aren’t fun to put on, although a hire car will come with Winter tyres. You can drop off luggage for free in front of La Foret (90 mins) then parking in Flaine is 10€ a day with a large car park about 10 mins walk away (up hill…). Digging the car out in Jan could well happen, Flaine doesn’t have any public underground parking.
ski holidays
A hire car from Swiss GVA will have winter tyres
ski holidays
Judicious packing can reduce the need for shopping and the marginal cost of shopping in resort is not huge.
snow report
Good transfer service www.gomassif.com
snow report
Mmm thanks all, I think maybe the shared transfer is a good in-between the cheaper bus and the expense of a private transfer / car hire.
Problem is I'm supposed to be organising a 'cheap' trip (whatever that is) but I keep getting sidetracked by the expensive options...
latest report
Quote:

although a hire car will come with Winter tyres.

May come with winter tyres. It depends where you hire the car from.
Quote:

Problem is I'm supposed to be organising a 'cheap' trip (whatever that is) but I keep getting sidetracked by the expensive options...

May I suggest the train to Cluses and the local bus from there. Or BlaBlabus
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy