Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toddler learning to ski on 50 cm

Poster: A snowHead
My son was 3 or 4 when he learned to ski in one day (!!!) without any instructons. Just starting easy from a 5 m long run off around 50 cm high. And gradually increasing height to may be 2m and length to may be 30m.
Next day he was down on a green slope faster and with more control than me or my wife. I took him up between legs on a tow.
I think the secret was his 50 cm skis. It was back on 80s and I made them from old adult skis (170cm) by cutting off 120 cm all from the back .
He had proper boots and bindings.
Skis were probably just above his waist.
Now 40 years later his son -
my grandson is 110 cm and 19 kg at 5 yo.
I am tempted to go with 60 cm.
Really - they say 70cm is good for 3 year old beginners???? I am not buying into this.

In my experience quickest learning and most fun kids have in the beginning is on waist high skis.
Anyone agrees here? Anyone's child really learned in one day? What length and height?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, i know children are fast learners (no fear and super spiderman elasticity helps)... but 1 day?!

I am Belgian so I dont know anything, but my girlfriend is a local brought up on skis, we live in the dolomites and have an almost 5y old son (5 in feb).

We put him on skis when he was almost 3 (70cm). Lots of just playing sround and hot chocolat...plus using a wedgy.

Last season as a 4y old he still skied on the 70cm ones without a wedgy and skied about 20 days.

This year he is moving into 90 cm skis and into the ski club. He is 115 cm and 19kg but a tough bug (2nd sport is rugby).

I havent seen locally any 5y olds on 50-60 cm skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep. I day at a bottom of a hill. Next day one slow careful (because we told him so) run on a 700m long green slope. Next run he just went ahead of us.
On parallel skis. I never managed to teach him the snow plow. No need really as he would just turn and stop.

You see a lot of complete beginner adults doing the same on these 1m20 plastic skis learning it in one day. Kids are better learnes. So no wonder. IMHO.

I am not saying that they should stay on waist high skis long. What I think though is that first week maybe they are much better off this way.
I myself am 188cm. My first proper alpine skis were 160. Worked very well for me too...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And another difference was that my son's 50cm skis were obviously much wider than normal kids skis. Being cut off the front of 170 cm skis they were probably at least 70 or 80 mm wide may be more....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daughter (age 2yr 10 months) started on 70cm Fischers that I bought third hand on here.

The advantage of using proper short skis rather than cutting up some adult skis, is that the sidecut is in the right place.

She was similarly skiing the short beginners slope to to bottom after a day, but I wouldn’t quite say she’d learned to ski by the end of that day. She’d started learning.

As I’ve suggested before, I think the best way for very young U.K. kids to learn to ski, is to learn to ice skate. My daughter started age 2 at our local rink, so when we put her on skis, they were like big ice skates, and she was immediately comfortable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boldandfunny, wide skis 40 years ago? I think not!! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boldandfunny, not sure your question - you seem to have made your mind. You do you… Eh oh! Eh oh!

But parallel turns in 1 day on hacked down adult skis?!? Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:

Those were adult skis cut of 50 cm from the tip. Today's adult ski tips are usually around 110mm then they were around 70 or 80 probably
Obviously being adult skis tips they are probably at least 50% wider than today's 70 cm child skis?
Ignore that one. I did not realise that child skis are pretty much the same width as adults these days.
So the 50 cm cut offs weren't any wider than today's 70cm. Probably less wide than most today

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-12-23 1:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just wondered if other people used similar waist high skis for 3-5 years old and if it worked for them too.
Trying to decide on length for my 5 year old. I guess 60 might be too short for 110 high 5 year old. I think I want to go with 70
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Incidentally the 2 factual replies here kind of confirm my view.
1.3 year old complete beginner was not able or interested in using 70 cm skis and only learned on 70 when he was 4.
Bur was happy to use wedgies (probably 60 cm?)
2. 2 year old managed to handle 70 cm but she was skating before. So completely agree that it helped.
But I bet if she did not have skating skills she would struggle big way with 70cm . And probably would do OK on 50. They are almost skates or wedgies for them. But with proper boots.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:

B&F said possibly 70mm, which could have been perfectly feasible in the 80s.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boldandfunny, can you actually buy kids skis shorter than ~70cms? Decathlon, f'rinstance, start at 67cms. [you're not thinking of crafting a pair??] I wouldn't imagine a shorter 10cms would help that much?

((My first skis about 50 years ago were 110cms Shocked but things have improved.))
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, There's always the "booming sport" of skiskates... https://www.skiskates.com/

@Boldandfunny, Are you overthinking this? Thousands of kids learn at 5yo - rent something that seems ok, and if its not, change it.

P.S. My kids are teenagers and haven't finished learning... Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boldandfunny, my kids, now 16 & 18 just started on normal skis (for their height) at 3 and 4 respectively. I can't actually remember the height but below is a picture of my son in his first week, one month shy of 4.

Sorry but your "I think the secret was his 50 cm skis." is nonsense as is "learning to ski in one day" - whatever that means anyway.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Boldandfunny, This must be some sort of spam.

If you made 50cm skis from adult skis by just cutting length off the back, the skis would be so unbalanced as to be completely un-skiable, with all the length forward of the boot.

You kid certainly did not learn to ski in a day as you suggest. Not least as being able to navigate a green slope only means you have started to learn. Also if you did indeed take that kid down a slope on those skis after one day, all you did was out the kid in danger.

It is a complete nonsense from start to finish.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Boldandfunny, can you actually buy kids skis shorter than ~70cms? Decathlon, f'rinstance, start at 67cms. [you're not thinking of crafting a pair??] I wouldn't imagine a shorter 10cms would help that much?

((My first skis about 50 years ago were 110cms Shocked but things have improved.))

No you can't and thats the problem for 3 y.o.
Shortest u can get for them is 70cm.
For a complete beginner kid 90 cm high who can't even run properly yet it is way too long imho.
But it is easy to cut them shorter if u are decent with your tools Happy and move bindings obviously...
Actual reason I did that back in 80s was an article in a magazine advocating exactly that.
I did not come up with 50cm lenght. It was a children coach teaching groups of 3 year olds i think. Don't remember where it was but I got the idea.
Never regretted it obviously...
Nothing wrong with waist high skis for a complete beginner. Or is it?
People who advocate 70 cm for 3 year old never tried 50 or 60 so they just don't know what they are talking about. Do they know how fast or slow 2 or 3 year child would develop on shorter skis?
It is just common sense that shorter is easier to turn....
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
@under a new name, There's always the "booming sport" of skiskates... https://www.skiskates.com/

@Boldandfunny, Are you overthinking this? Thousands of kids learn at 5yo - rent something that seems ok, and if its not, change it.

P.S. My kids are teenagers and haven't finished learning... Happy

I just measured 70 cm against my 5 year old 110 cm grandson. About 8cm above his waist.
Funny my wife saw me doing that and said 'you need them the same as we had - this is too long for him'. So I guess I will buy 70CM and cut them to 65 or 60 lol Very Happy
She saw my sons progress. She also reminded me that our second boy was using the same 50 cm skis until he was amost 6.
And was happy using them.
We only skied a few days a season then as well and he did not need any lessons either...
Go figure...
latest report
Boldandfunny wrote:

It is also common sense that skis of a longer length are more stable at high speeds.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Boldandfunny wrote:

It is also common sense that skis of a longer length are more stable at high speeds.

Sure. But if u can't turn them as a 3 year old - is sability is going to help me to stop?
Just my 2 cents....
snow report
@Boldandfunny, if your three year old can't even run yet, I don't think the problem with their skiing development is entirely down to the length of the skis...

Maybe you should think about re-launching Ski Evolutif. Must be time for someone to give that a go again.
snow conditions
Funny how all of the Austrians around here are getting it so wrong.
A lot of kids from skiing families can ski before their third birthday on normal skis.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@Boldandfunny, if your three year old can't even run yet, I don't think the problem with their skiing development is entirely down to the length of the skis...

Now you are a being d*kh*d aren't you? F*k u
snow conditions
Boldandfunny wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Now you are a being d*kh*d aren't you? F*k u

Well, you started it.
snow report
@Boldandfunny, uhhh, do you know how skis work? Cutting the ends off them will break them. Puzzled rolling eyes

Just live with the fact that the manufacturers know what they're doing?
snow report
[quote="Boldandfunny"]
under a new name wrote:
@Boldandfunny
People who advocate 70 cm for 3 year old never tried 50 or 60 so they just don't know what they are talking about. Do they know how fast or slow 2 or 3 year child would develop on shorter skis?

Well we are locals. I guess the 5 ski clubs in our immediate surrounding (I'm not saying ski schools, ski clubs!) are doing it wrong then, and you know better, because of some anecdotal "evidence" from years past?! 70cms for 3y/4y old and then move on. In the end unless you put them on unreasonably long ski's the real variable is not the ski length but the child itself! A lot of differences between 1 3-4y old and another.

Like I said before: Our son, was playing in the snow when he was less than a year old, started on ski's at 2y and 10 months (70cm), which was a lot of playing around. NOT because of the length of the ski's but because he's a small child. 1 year later, he gained a lot of strength and he really wanted to ski, fast forward another year (now) and he can't think about anything else and has a super dolomiti seasonal pass.

But if you want an excuse to butcher ski's on your own... of course help yourself Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
[quote="beester1976"]
Boldandfunny wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Boldandfunny

Like I said before: Our son, was playing in the snow when he was less than a year old, started on ski's at 2y and 10 months (70cm), which was a lot of playing around. NOT because of the length of the ski's but because he's a small child. 1 year later, he gained a lot of strength and he really wanted to ski, fast forward another year (now) and he can't think about anything else and has a super dolomiti seasonal pass.

Thanks.
That helps.

All I am saying is that my son at 3 y 3 m was skiing full lengths of a green slope with full control and without even stopping in the middle.
after 1 day on a teaching slope.
And he did not do any roller skating or skiing before that trip.
And he had 50 cm skis.

And my second son did the same 6 years later using same skis Toofy Grin
Both of them are not skiing prodigies and only ski occasionally a few days a year.
I am not claiming they were skiing black slopes as some people implied here.
But they had fun from day 1.
because they did not have to fight skis they could not control.
‐-------
Why noone is surprised when kids can roller skate on skates which is basically the same thing - but 20 cm long? But somehow 50 cm skis are too short?
Not that different from the 3 year old beginner point of view...
Just my 2 cents...

And don't call me a lier or a spammer.
That's paranoia people...
If u don't agree that's fine. But stop calling anyone who thinks differently a lier and a spammer. That's just shows who you are.

And don't tell me manufacturers know better.
Making 60 or 50 cm skis is non profitable as only a few people would buy them.
They are in it for money...
That's irrelevant anyway.
ski holidays
Boldandfunny wrote:
If u don't agree that's fine. But stop calling anyone who thinks differently a lier and a spammer. That's just shows who you are.

Don't insult and swear at people, it shows us who you are

Boldandfunny wrote:
And don't tell me manufacturers know better.
Making 60 or 50 cm skis is non profitable as only a few people would buy them.
They are in it for money...

You'd be surprised what profits they could make. Ever heard of snowblades?

You came here and asked "In my experience quickest learning and most fun kids have in the beginning is on waist high skis. Anyone agrees here? Anyone's child really learned in one day?" And the answer, not surprisingly, is an unequivocal no and no. If u don't agree that's fine too.
snow report
aaa wrote:

You'd be surprised what profits they could make. Ever heard of snowblades?.

Those are obviously dangerous for a 3 year old. I don't want my kid to break his legs without proper kids bindings.
Blades are usually not for alpine skiing. It says so on their manual?
So not a valid comparison imho?

BTW the turn radius of 70 cm skis is around 6m.
Some adult skis are 9m for comparison.
This means a child has to learn snow plow position or he will be going too fast before turn takes him across the slope - and he slows down.
Did they not prove years ago that teaching snow plow slows skiing development by a few years?
Obviously lots of money for a skiing instructor teaching skiing the hard way Eh oh!
The longer it takes the better for them so longer skis are god sent in this respect... Eh oh!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, @Boldandfunny, I agree and disagree with both of you. I really like this forum because I find it very rare for people to argue disrespectfully. You could both share your opinion without implicitly/explicitly insulting the another person.

My son learned skiing in one day after 2hrs lessons. This meant skiing slowly on blues. He doesn't do ice skating, rollers and any other sports. He progressed really quickly with some ups and downs later on but he decided to start snowboarding. So, he started last year and he's already spent way more days than average and still struggling with toe side.

Kids (as I keep saying in other threads) are very different and for some of them it's important to build a confidence at early stage to make sure they stay passionate about new sport (shorter skis, more hot chocolate and some bribes). Other can start learning on adult skis be shouted at for lack of progress and would still carry on trying with a smile. Times are different too, 20-30 years ago there were not many reasons to stay home as a child now it's difficult to convince them that spending full day falling on ice in -10 is better than playing on computer.
snow conditions
Boldandfunny wrote:

BTW the turn radius of 70 cm skis is around 6m.
Some adult skis are 9m for comparison.
This means a child has to learn snow plow position or he will be going too fast before turn takes him across the slope - and he slows down.
Did they not prove years ago that teaching snow plow slows skiing development by a few years?
Obviously lots of money for a skiing instructor teaching skiing the hard way Eh oh!
The longer it takes the better for them so longer skis are god sent in this respect... Eh oh!

What is the turn radius of your cut down skis (clue it is infinite as there is no sidecut)
Best tell all of the World Cup racers that Snowplough slows down development then they might stop doing Snowplough drills. Snowplough is a means of teaching the feeling of edge control and foot rotation with an added element of speed control, it is much calmer and better than trying to fling skis round to stop you going straight down the hill which is the only real alternative for most.
If it meant there was a realistic chance of extra sales ski companies would be falling over backwards to get such skis to market.
snow conditions
Yes. The people who say "kids have no fear" don't know many kids...
ski holidays
Also, IME some ASD kids will misinterpret a situation. An instructor shouting encouragement could well sound cross to a child. 8
latest report
Boldandfunny wrote:
aaa wrote:

You'd be surprised what profits they could make. Ever heard of snowblades?.

Those are obviously dangerous for a 3 year old. I don't want my kid to break his legs without proper kids bindings.
Blades are usually not for alpine skiing. It says so on their manual?
So not a valid comparison imho?

You missed my point entirely. You said "Making 60 or 50 cm skis is non profitable as only a few people would buy them." Well, they sold plenty of snowblades to adults who could have/should have been on skis far longer.

Boldandfunny wrote:

Err, no.
snow conditions
snowyc wrote:
@Layne, @Boldandfunny, I agree and disagree with both of you. I really like this forum because I find it very rare for people to argue disrespectfully. You could both share your opinion without implicitly/explicitly insulting the another person.

Where did I insult anyone please?

snowyc wrote:
My son learned skiing in one day after 2hrs lessons. This meant skiing slowly on blues.

As stated above by me and others - this is a nonsensical statement. It's like me saying I can play the piano in 2 hours because I can one finger happy birthday very slowly.

snowyc wrote:
it's important to build a confidence at early stage to make sure they stay passionate about new

Did you miss the bit where the OP botched a short pair of skis by "cutting off 120 cm all from the back" of adult skis. Building confidence, really?
ski holidays
@Layne, this discussion doesn't really make much sense. This forum is full of nonsensical statements as (almost) everything is subjective.
snow conditions
snowyc wrote:
@Layne, this discussion doesn't really make much sense.

Agreed. But we tried to make sense of it. We love a challenge Laughing

snowyc wrote:
This forum is full of nonsensical statements

If you stop reading Gored's posts it helps.

snowyc wrote:
as (almost) everything is subjective.

We will have to respectively disagree on that one.
ski holidays
Everyone here seem to agree about the fact that I takes more than one day for a complete beginner 3 year old to learn to ski enough to go on a green slope.
Either they lose interest after first 10 attempts and prefer to play or if they are interested and competitive - it simply takes longer. You all said it yourself.
Learn in 1 day seems to be impossible to everyone here.

All I am saying is that it is possible. I saw it twice. And I did not have to do anything for this to happen. They just started going - all by themselves.
On waist high skis.
And the fact that no kids here learned it in one day on 'normal' length skis tells me something.
Thanks to everyone who actually gave real answers to my question. That really helped.
As opposed to people who just tried to tell me that I have no idea what I am talking about. And that it is impossible etc.... Very Happy
latest report
@Boldandfunny, I'm sorry you feel so cross about the responses here. Fact is, most of HAVE seen kids happily skiing green slopes after one day is skis. I have, with half a dozen kids! What people have said is that this is not tantamount to their having " learned to ski".

I've seen kids manage a green slope on those plastic skis you strap onto wellies. Brave and athletic child, admittedly. Doesn't mean they are good tools of learning.
latest report
pam w wrote:
@Boldandfunny, I'm sorry you feel so cross about the responses here. Fact is, most of HAVE seen kids happily skiing green slopes after one day is skis. I have, with half a dozen kids! What people have said is that this is not tantamount to their having " learned to ski".

I've seen kids manage a green slope on those plastic skis you strap onto wellies. Brave and athletic child, admittedly. Doesn't mean they are good tools of learning.

No problem. This is what I was asking really.
It was just one idiot post and one paranoidal post. I don't mind the rest of the bunch as they meant well Very Happy
In effect my question was answered when people did not believe me Very Happy

1)If u can tell me age, kids height and length of the skis this half a dozen kids were taught with that would help me to decide.

2)Atm I bought 70 cm for my 110 cm high boy.
I know he will be fine with them eventually (and they will probably be a bit short for him after first week of skiing ).
They are 8 cm above his waist.
I still think I might cut them to 60 cm.
Just to allow him have fun on the very first day. Very Happy
It is really important I think not to make it a struggle initially.

I have seen 3 year old kids give up on first day and wasting a weeks holiday and refusing to put skis on again - all week.
And parents holiday half wasted as a result. Because they took this holiday to try to get kids skiing and failed miserably...

Just my 2 cents...
snow report
I've not seen personally seen any kids struggle on chest high skis, given decent help/ lessons. 8 grandchildren and three of mine, starting at various ages. Speed of progress varied, kids vary. There's a huge difference between a ,"just 3" and a "nearly 4" who has done 132% more maturing. And one that can confidently ride a bike and scooter and one who can't.

To sensibly attribute differences to length of skis would need masses more data than you have! But it IS true that finding the right skis for v short beginners can be a challenge. I bought 60 cm skis once, IIRC.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy