Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying or renting beginner skis till intermediate level

Poster: A snowHead
i only started skiing for 2 days last year and live in a country that is summer all year. ski trips would probably be 2 weeks/year. i plan to stay 2-3 weeks in japan purely to ski and focus on getting the fundamentals right.

hence the question: should i buy or rent beginner skis till the intermediate level? my thought process is once i reach the intermediate level (may be within the next few years if i take yearly 2-week ski trips + global warming doesn't remove all snow + skiing doesn't become a millionaire/billionaire sport + i dont lose my job), it may warrant purchase of intermediate skis (not sure on this point though). for the near future i only see myself skiing on-piste in europe/japan

at what stage does it warrant a purchase of new skis, other than wear and tear?

thank you

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-10-23 16:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's cheap & easy lugging skis to resort and back, and you're concerned to avoid the expense of rental, then buy a pair of 2nd hand skis (bearing in mind servicing cost). Otherwise, rental is the way to go until you're so 'advanced intermediate' that it's worth getting used to a pair of your own skis - according to your preference, e.g. length, side cut, width, weight, etc.

YMMV
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought my skis for my first holiday and got 4 trips out of them so they just about broke even but that is because I flew with ba that you are able to put skis as the luggage. If I was flying with easyjet then taken the ski carriage would have cost me £400.

I still use the skis I bought but they are now dryslope skis and a burnt out and gauged and in a sorry state tbh.

My new skis cost me 500 so they have to make 5 trips to pay for themself over renting in resort.

As I do 2 or 3 a year it is worth the hassle of storing them all year and dragging them across the world.

I only got them as it works out cheaper for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy boots and rent ski - if you are hooked on skiing.

In that way you will get experience of different skis over time and can make a more qualified choice when you buy your own ski.

Makes it easier to traval in Japan as well. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ski9, +1, rent skis for the time being, But buying boots is a very sound idea. Your feet don't change and don't buy into teh guff about "beginners'" boots. You want boots that fit properly (are therefore completely comfortable) and are adequately rigid to give you the support and control you need. I'd suggest, IMHO, that a stiffness number of 100 is the minimum, maybe/probably 110 unless you are very light.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for buy boots and rent skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3 weeks then it might be worth buying. Especially if you can find a decent price or nearly new used ones
Dont worry about global warming. Snow will be around long after you are worm food.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You only need to buy skis if you drive to the mountains regularly for the weekends.
But as everyone else has said .. get yourself some boots fitted, but fitted by some real pros.
Great fitting boots make a happy and better skier.

I just had my boots "Re fitted" this afternoon, after two years of use.
"Free of Charge"
I'm so pleased with this shops boot fitting service, that I want to recommend them.
"Ski Exchange" at Dry Drayton near Cambridge.

They have lots of lovely skis there as well, it's so tempting.
Hire till you're a flyer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrLawn, I don't think @ski9, lives in the uk, unless the climate has changed radically Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski9, Welcome to SnowHeads, it sounds like you may live in Singapore, a bit far from Cambridge to get boots fitted then?
@under a new name, as you have a mountain hanging over your head, I'd advise you to buy rather than rent. Blush
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, you mean, yet more pairs? Shocked actually I am due another pair this winter snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name,
Where you live skis ware out fast. Lucky me does not have that problem.

I think
@ski9, aims at Niseko - might be cheaper if he finds local - but transport of ski might cost as well, depending on the airline.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree. I think renting skis is a good idea. Try some different styles and see what you like before buying.

Boot = get ones that fit!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
* Weeks 1-2
Boots = rent
Skis = rent

* Weeks 3-5
Boots = buy new
Skis = buy secondhand

* Weeks 5-100
Boots = buy new
Skis = buy new
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hyst, haha indeed Happy
snow conditions
I prefer owning skis. Saves the pain and stress of returning a pair of rentals where there are a few scratches on the base and having (some) unscrupulous shops write blank cheques.
latest report
Hi @earl, thats why they offer insurance Toofy Grin
latest report
Too true! Right up to when they say 'oh that is more damage than the insurance will cover so you will have to pay 65euro'. I watched it happened to my riding mate. Yes there was damage up to the edge but not that bad at all and certainly not a core shot. I don't like that the shop are also the accessors

Maybe that was just one bad shop and we were unlucky.

I would rather just own my own kit - be self responsible.

Just saying. Each to their own.
latest report
@motdoc @Hyst could you elaborate on what you mean by different styles of skis? do skis from the different brands give you a different feel when skiing?

all skis look to same to me - 2 long plates to move down the mountain Laughing
snow conditions
ski9 wrote:
@motdoc @Hyst could you elaborate on what you mean by different styles of skis? do skis from the different brands give you a different feel when skiing?

all skis look to same to me - 2 long plates to move down the mountain Laughing

I wouldn't buy skis until a) You have reached a decent Intermediate level and (b) You have a better understanding about what types and construction of skis are available. Use your rental time to swap about and ask questions in the shop in order to get a better understanding and experience.

Skis are now designed for different disciplines eg Racing; Piste; All Mountain; Freeride and Powder. At this stage, you are most likely looking at Piste Skis - but possibly a narrow AM ski (IMO. no wider than 82mm underfoot).

Construction determines how the ski will feel and how forgiving it will be. When starting out, you want to be more on the forgiving end of the spectrum....so not too stiff and damp (ie. generally avoid use of 1 or 2 layers of metal). Lighter and more playful makes life easier.
latest report
Quote:

possibly a narrow AM ski (IMO. no wider than 82mm underfoot).

what does AM mean?
ski holidays
ski9 wrote:
Quote:

possibly a narrow AM ski (IMO. no wider than 82mm underfoot).

what does AM mean?

"All Mountain" (as in one of the categories of skis listed in my post).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy