Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time ski holiday (solo parent)- logistics tips please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I’m taking my two daughters skiing for the first time in a couple of weeks. I’m hoping you can give me any useful tips that work for you to make things easier/manageable and what to avoid (I’m also a beginner).

In particular, if someone could please let me know what info I need to stash in their pockets (or anything else) - we will all be in separate groups in the morning.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, How old are your daughters?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
By mid march the sun can be very strong , make sure they have sun cream on before they go out, lip salve and sun glasses.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If young, a piece of card with your contact details on. For the duration of a 2 hr lesson, they shouldn't need a lot to be honest. You can sun cream up in the morning and reapply at lunch. A snood thing is useful to have with them / worn to put on / take off depending on warmth. Pack of haribo / jelly babies maybe. Lipsalve and tissues. €20 note in case they make it to the cafe meet point first and you're held up
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Canuck, hi they’re 14 and 10
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Much easier than with toddlers then! I'm sure you'll have a great time. Mine's similar age. You might want to consider a few lessons in a snow dome so that you get a little more out of the skiing when you're away.
Haribo is usually a good call. And if you're staying in a European hotel you might want to consider taking a travel kettle and mugs for coffee/ hot chocolate etc. Unless you're at an all inclusive sort of place of course.

Try to collect your equipment the evening before your first ski to save time in the morning. Same with lift passes. Also suss out the lesson starting place the night before as they wait for nobody.

And as T Bar said, don't underestimate the power of the sun reflecting off the snow, more sunscreen than on a 'sun' holiday, and good sunglasses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pre book ski lessons
Don't pre book lift passes. Talk to the ski school about this.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Frosty the Snowman, I’ve booked group lessons for the morning, not booked anything for the afternoon. Not sure whether we should maybe book a private session for one or two of the afternoons maybe. I bought lift passes via the booking process (Crystal). They seemed to be fairly cheap compared to some I’ve seen
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Re. Stuff for pockets ... Mini chocolates (mars / twix etc) and a soft water bottle like this from decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/500-ml-flexible-trail-running-water-bottle-blue/_/R-p-327568 attached to their belt hooks or braces with cheap light weight carabiner clip
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lilaclou, Where are you going?
It is worth finding out if your ski hire shop will store boots and skis for you overnight or if they don't is there somewhere that does if your accommodation is far from the slopes.
At that age it isn't a massive deal but at any age if you're inexperienced it's easier not to have to lug your equipment too far.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IIRC you are going to Pila with Crystal? It sounds as if you've got it all sorted out well. Ski lessons in the morning will be fine - I wouldn't go for privates in the afternoon, personally. You might well find someone in your morning group to do a bit of skiing with in the afternoons, if you have energy to practise. The girls will have no problem, but if you are not generally very sporty, a bit of effort to strengthen your legs, and get a bit of cardio-vascular exercise, will pay dividends.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For the group lessons it is quite likely that you won't be in the same lesson as your daughters. Make sure they know where your accommodation is, as well as your contact number.

Most resorts now use electronic contactless lift passes, which ideally go in a sleeve pocket by your left wrist (and not taken out all week). If your jackets don't have one there, a left side chest pocket should do, but don't share that pocket with a phone or anything else electronic or magnetised.

As well as a bank card / cash I also carry my GHIC card and contact numbers for my travel insurance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all for the tips so far, super helpful. Yes going to Pila, the hotel has boot storage etc. The tip about lift pass pocket is very helpful, my jacket doesn’t have a sleeve pocket so will bear that in mind.

Yes probably a bit ambitious to also do afternoon lessons, it’s just tempting to maximise learning time when you’re a beginner! I guess we will need time to just go our own pace and the kids will enjoy that too.

I’m just a little bit conscious of the fact my oldest daughter and youngest will be quite different abilities (oldest has been away with school for a week, youngest has had one lesson) so keeping them both happy will be interesting! Perhaps if the youngest has lots of energy left she might manage an extra hour of lessons but will see how she goes first. It’s possible she and I might make fast progress and we could all manage a run together!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you can persuade the oldest that she's the family expert and can help her mum and little sister to get going, that could work. Tell her you would appreciate her hints and tips (and then, obviously, ignore them......). Don't overthink it. A lot will depend on weather. What is possible on a benign sunny day can seem impossible or scary if the weather closes in. You can always practice what you've been doing with the instructor - it's surprising and thrilling how much progress you can make in a week. The learning curve will never be as steep again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Origen, sounds like great advice, thank you. I’m really looking forward to it.
latest report
Nobody pays attention to laws in Italy.

But be aware of them, anyway.

1. Kids <18yo must wear a helmet for skiing, boarding, and sledding.

2. Adults and kids must have 3rd-party-liability ski insurance.

3. It is now illegal to ski or board while drunk or high. Don't crash after lunch.
snow conditions
@Lilaclou,
Find out what afternoon/evening activities Pila offers such as pool, ice skating, dog sledding, bowling. Also any live music/DJs apres ski (especially for 14 yo).
Be very careful of sunburn, snow blindness (goggles give better protection than sunglasses, and are more suitable for beginners anyway). Lots of lip salve. Put the phone number of the piste patrol into all your speed dials. And your ski instructor(s)
latest report
@Lilaclou, I only mentioned tat as you will probably start on free lifts. Pila - great choice. Smashing little resort
ski holidays
Make sure all your lessons start from the same place. If you're with different schools its going to be V difficult unless they leave from the same spot, which is unlikely.

Get there early on the first morning and agree a meeting place for after the lessons as you'll all come back at different times as I'm guessing you'll be in 3 different classes.

Try to take it easy, don't try and get them to ski first lift to last.

If you're cutting it fine, go to your instructor first and say you're just dropping your kids at their class. Unclip your skis and leave them there then take the kids to their instructor. That way they might wait 60 seconds after departure time for you. Do it the other way round and they'll probably leave. Speaking from experience...

Bribe with hot chocolate when necessary.

Some kind of cereal bar is a good idea and, as someone said, don't put it in the same pocket as the lift pass. Depending how good they are I'd safety pin the lift pass pocket shut, just in case. (Though ours did lose one one year and it was replaced for 10E or something so it might not be the end of the world.)

Make sure you laugh when you fall, even if it hurts. Most kids don't particularly like watching their parents injure themselves and it can make them really cautious - also speaking from experience. Though they mostly point and laugh when I fall over now.

A card with your contacts on it in their pocket as someone suggested is a good idea though, TBH, I've never even thought of doing it before.

Try and remember its supposed to be fun, and it'll get a lot easier and more fun in time.

Oh, and don't over dress them in March, it can be really warm. Not much fun for the kids in 2 puffas that are too scared to ask to stop and remove them.
ski holidays
Italy is usually fine but a few Euro coins in some French resorts are a good idea because some places charge for use of the loos.
My guess is Pila won't but I've not been
latest report
Ah! don't remember charges in Pila but @T Bar's, post has reminded me of an important point. Your girls might well freak out at the "hole in the ground" toilets in some of the Pila restaurants. My 11 and 13 year old granddaughters would, but perhaps yours are made of sterner stuff. Warn them, give them a few tips about them. Your Crystal rep might be able to tell you which places have sin-on toilets.
snow conditions
sit-on toilets, I mean! Sin-on might be even more alarming.
ski holidays
@Origen, yikes, they will definitely not be keen on that! Thanks for the warning. Time for some you tube tutorials on how to use them I think?!
snow conditions
@B., excellent tips thank you
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

3. It is now illegal to ski or board while drunk or high. Don't crash after lunch.

Where are these two girls coming from, Glasgow shipyards? (Actually, or Roedean?)

Gloves. Usually have a clip to clip them together. Get a key ring off a pocket zip or other, and whenever gloves come off they are clipped on that ring RELIGIOUSLY. So common they are left in cafes, loos etc.

Invent a competition for most spectacular crash. The phrase Yard Sale was invented for a reason. Falling over is all part of the fun.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:

Be very careful of sunburn, snow blindness (goggles give better protection than sunglasses, and are more suitable for beginners anyway))

Don't disagree that goggles may give better protection, but the chances are that if the weather is good they will be wanting to sit outside for meal/drinks breaks and will not want to wear goggles then so I would definitely have sun glasses with me if skiing with goggles.
snow conditions
@Lilaclou,
Tips:
1) Take photos of all your lift passes just in case they get lost, that way you can get them cancelled and replaced.
2) Dont bother overloading them with choc bars and water, dont give them rucksaks, they don't need them.
3) Try and get them to get factor 50 on their sweet faces before they go out in the morning, otherwise they won't do it themselves.
4) As @Origen says get your 14 year old princess to show you the ropes in the afternoons, she will love showing off and its too much to do lessons all day long.

I'm sure you are going to have a great time and the girls will love the social side of the lessons, you will all make new friends and this will become an annual treat.

I've been to Pila but only for a day visit.
You have the city of Aosta at the bottom of the cable car and a big SuperMarket.
Make sure you visit the city, I wish I had.
Oh! check the times of the last Gondola so you can get back up to the Hotel.

Have a great time, Ciao!
ski holidays
@Lilaclou, some great tips already above.

Try to make sure each of you gets really well fitting ski boots. Walk around, take as much time as needed in the hire shop. Once on the slopes, any sign of boot problems, go back to sort asap.

Wear thin ski socks.

Very thin gloves worn inside your proper ski gloves are good.

Wear a thin neck buff (snowHeads ones are great!).

Learn how to carry your skis and poles properly (some good and funny stuff on YouTube).

Learn technique to get back up after falling over (YouTube again).
Tricky and tiring otherwise, especially on shallow slopes.

Resist fiddling around taking gloves off, things out of pockets, etc when on a chairlift. Especially your phones.

If wearing sunnies have cord straps on them.

Have a fabulous holiday. Hopefully the first of many. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lilaclou wrote:
Thanks all for the tips so far, super helpful. Yes going to Pila, the hotel has boot storage etc. The tip about lift pass pocket is very helpful, my jacket doesn’t have a sleeve pocket so will bear that in mind.

Yes probably a bit ambitious to also do afternoon lessons, it’s just tempting to maximise learning time when you’re a beginner! I guess we will need time to just go our own pace and the kids will enjoy that too.

I’m just a little bit conscious of the fact my oldest daughter and youngest will be quite different abilities (oldest has been away with school for a week, youngest has had one lesson) so keeping them both happy will be interesting! Perhaps if the youngest has lots of energy left she might manage an extra hour of lessons but will see how she goes first. It’s possible she and I might make fast progress and we could all manage a run together!

Lessons am only is fine. After lunch spend the time practising what you were taught in the morning, where you were skiing in the morning - that way you wont end up somewhere unfamiliar or unsuitable to you skill level. So first pm will almost certainly be the beginner area near the gondola, but you will soon progress in your lessons to going upto Grimod area which is a super wide gentle slope you can lap, and or ski back down the blue "home" run which also gentle (blue 15). Older daughter will prob be beyond this in lessons, but you prob all want to keep together in the afternoons.
Blue 5 also a good choice. Reds off La Nouva chair good to progress onto as you can bail to Blue 5. Also reds 17/18 relatively gentle.

Make sure you know how to put your ski's back on if they come off when you fall over - they should teach you that in the first morning (or just look hopeless and someone will stop to help) i.e. Release the binding clip at the heel, and clear snow off your boot sole before clipping back in. Do the "downhill" ski first.
snow report
I put a Samsung smart tag (same as apple air tag) in my kids pockets (8 and 10 years old)when they went off for lessons on our last holiday in Feb half term. Luckily we all met up OK after the lessons so didn't need to use them in anger - even though the ESF instructor for my 8 year old left 3 kids including my one at the meeting point for the lessons and was nowhere to be seen at exactly the 11 am finish time of the final Friday lesson!
latest report
Quote:

@Origen, yikes, they will definitely not be keen on that! Thanks for the warning. Time for some you tube tutorials on how to use them I think?!

I'd be very careful doing this research if I were you.

My basic advice would be "don't worry" it will be fine. Have a gentle ski in the afternoon, other members of your lesson will probably want to join you. And remember the factor 50
latest report
Quote:

'd be very careful doing this research if I were you

Laughing Yes, fair comment. However, I have relevant experience of girls of this age group - if they are anything like my granddaughters they will cope far better with a ski lesson with strangers in nasty conditions than with one of those toilets. Though at least, unlike me, they will have the knees for it......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy