Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long Tree-Lined Green Runs

Poster: A snowHead
Looking into a week in the Alps next March. My daughter in particular loves those long lazy meandering tree-lined green runs that you typically take at the end of the day back to your lower-altitude resort. From memory, the run down to La Tania is one example. Can anyone think of others? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blanche Neige in the back bowl (Prérond) at Le Collet d’Allevard
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Marvel in Grand Massif - if not mistaken its longest green run in France. Tree lined the whole way
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
North America
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, Marvel in Morillon is excellent. Liason Les Saisies - Crest Voland in the Espace Diamant is also very long and scenic, though very gentle so should be avoided in powder or sticky snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have fond memories of Forêt down to Vallandry in Les Arcs from the week I learned to ski. We were staying in Peisey, which entailed a tricky bit (for a beginner) at the end, but I'm pretty sure it was plain sailing all the way to Vallandry.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You have to be a bit lucky to get your tree lined runs back to resort or any other runs come to that in good nick at the end of the day. In my experience they are generally scraped and icy when the weather's cold and slushy when it's warm. Earlier in the day they're usually much more pleasant. But good luck and hope you find somewhere good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Myrtilles down into Tignes Les Brevieres.

My recollection is that at least one of the runs down into Plagne Montalbert is similar (although blue on the map). @boredsurfin would be able to confirm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Escargot in Val Cenis, longest green slope in Europe at 10 KMs. Large part through forest.

Fun fact, this is partly the road that Napoleon took to cross the Alps

http://youtube.com/v/v7YCjVhQjXk?si=wHeAiXNCtjQw-AnF
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, thanks everyone. These are great suggestions. Will investigate further!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Montalbert in to Pralioud and then Gentil is the easiest way down in the La Plagne Montalbert, very mellow all the way down.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We stayed in Morillon 1100 this year (Feb half term). The 2 runs that we could take home were either Marvel (green) or Sairon (blue). Both absolutely gorgeous and a real pleasure to have as a final run.

You can tell Marvel was popular - lots of jumps and bumps to play around in at the sides of the pistes and plenty of ski schools!

We've had green runs before but this was by far the longest and prettiest.

Here's a nice video of Marvel:
http://youtube.com/v/qfFoMZCjU-Y?feature=shared
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gendal wrote:
I have fond memories of Forêt down to Vallandry in Les Arcs from the week I learned to ski. We were staying in Peisey, which entailed a tricky bit (for a beginner) at the end, but I'm pretty sure it was plain sailing all the way to Vallandry.

Is marked as a blue on piste map but is very very gentle, my kids all learnt to ski on this when they were 4ish - yes the last bit into Peisey can get icy and cut up end day, Vallandry is easier
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty much all of Saalbach-Hinterglemm is nice tree lined runs with nice gradients, if you're thinking of Austria
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kettonskimum, we skied Marvel many times with our novice skier boys, and all loved it. That video was a very nice watch, thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
Another vote for Marvel in Morillon
ski holidays
marvei too
snow conditions
The blue slopes back into to Morzine are quite chilled, cutting through the woods, though as mentioned can be a bit busy during peak returning times and snow can be poor quality.

I do like the blue Lievre run that goes down to the Nyon lift, as it's not used by too many people, and you often have the place to yourself, but you have to take skis off and walk to catch the Gondola back up, annoyingly as I found last time, had to walk up the escalator to the lift station as it wasn't working!
ski holidays
I'd say Morillon/Les Carroz, L'Escargot in Val Cenis or the Peisey Vallandry area of Les Arcs (the run I'm thinking of is blue but very gentle).

L'Escargot is probably the longest green but the Grand Massif and Les Arcs ski areas are more extensive.
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
I'd say Morillon/Les Carroz, L'Escargot in Val Cenis or the Peisey Vallandry area of Les Arcs (the run I'm thinking of is blue but very gentle).

L'Escargot is probably the longest green but the Grand Massif and Les Arcs ski areas are more extensive.

Agree that all are really good.

Val Cenis, there's also a gentle blue from top point in Termignon "Lac" that meanders round the periphery of that area and on towards Llanselbourg village, all through the trees but sometimes interupted by diversion down via chairlift for lower half, a nice experience in itself with the whole valley on view as you "fly" down.
latest report
Longest in world.

* Backcountry
Chamonix (France)
23km

* Black
Alpe d'Huez (France)
16km

* Red
Cervinia (Italy)
20km

* Blue
Revelstoke (Canada)
15km

* Green
Val Cenis (France)
10km
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
* Black
Alpe d'Huez (France)
16km

Oft-quoted but not true. Sarenne is only 10km, and that's including the long bit along the valley at the end, most of which is part of a blue run instead.
snow conditions
@zendot, Valloire has a couple of runs that fit the bill:

In the Setaz area, off the Setaz main bubble lift, Mysotis is fully tree-lined and rather long (6 km?) and quite beautiful. Les Airelles is an easy blue that becomes a very easy green down to the Vernays area. Another easy tree-lined blue is the Moulin run to the base of the Moulin Benjamin lift. You can also do Viclouse to Mysotis, off the top of the Moulin Bejamin lift.

Across the gorge, the Selles blue run (really a green) is not tree lined (it is at the bottom) but it's easily 10 km long -- I think Valloire says it is 12 km. I do know that when we skied it as the last run down I needed to stop and get a beer as my quads were burning at that point...
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
Yep, Marvel in Morillon is excellent. Liason Les Saisies - Crest Voland in the Espace Diamant is also very long and scenic, though very gentle so should be avoided in powder or sticky snow.

Both of these are quite nice. The LS-CV run is almost too gentle, though absolutely beautiful with fresh snow on the trees. I only did it once and was wishing I had XC skis because there was a LOT of poling/skating.
snow report
@Pasigal, Try doing that Les Saisies run with newly waxed skis as I did the second time I attempted it and I don't remember poling at all! I'd agree that green is also a good one but not one that you'd do at the end of the day unless you were staying in Crest Voland.
ski holidays
snowymum wrote:
@Pasigal, Try doing that Les Saisies run with newly waxed skis as I did the second time I attempted it and I don't remember poling at all! I'd agree that green is also a good one but not one that you'd do at the end of the day unless you were staying in Crest Voland.

Waxing? What is this waxing you speak of? Puzzled
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:

We didn't need to pole either, but granted it was well pisted and cool temperatures. We once did it at the end of the day while staying in Notre Dame Bellecombe. Enforced because Douce/Grattary broke down and it was the only way to get home from Les Saisies! Then 10-min free shuttle bus link from CV to NDB.
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
* Black
Alpe d'Huez (France)
16km

Oft-quoted but not true. Sarenne is only 10km, and that's including the long bit along the valley at the end, most of which is part of a blue run instead.

Take it up with the Alpe d'Huez official tourist office.

It's 16km.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy