Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow clearing: blower/shovels?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All -

We have a large terrace (~40m2) that gets a lot of snow. I've cleared it by hand - shovelling the snow over the edge - a couple of times, but it's hard work, especially when we get a 50cm dump, followed by rain, followed by freezing cold. I could have built a couple of igloos from the blocks I had to cut out and chuck over the railing after that!

Does anyone have any experience with electric snow clearing devices? Hard to tell what's good and what isn't from the online info - e.g. are any electric ones powerful enough? Corded/cordless? 18V/40V, more? Brands to go for/avoid?

I don't necessarily need it to deal with 50cm of refrozen snow - if I could quickly clear the light snow when fresh I think I could avoid the tougher jobs.

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Snow Joe
2. Ryobi
3. DeWalt
4. Ego
5. PowerSmart

Get a 2-stage or 3-stage blower (not 1).

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent, thanks. Corded, cordless or either?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I read "Blower/Shovels" as Bowels. Sorry Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This may save you a few pounds. https://bid.mod-sales.com/auctions/8751/witham10148/lot-details/1f71d6fb-4a0c-4b32-a115-b0c0010940fe
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@turbosmurf, you may find that Whitegold has no experience of any of these brands, nor of snow clearing ...

When I bought our blower in 2006 the general internet view was that electric ones were total rubbish and not worth trying. Buy with a real engine.

We had about 140m2 to clear for parking. I didn't actually do it that often but my observations:

- petrol ones have become massively cheaper. We spent about €1,300 and saw one yesterday in the same shop (Entrepot de Bricolage) with nicer specs (not the same brands) for €289 Shocked ok it's 18 years later but still. It looks to me that while there are cheaper brands now the engines come from only one or two mfrs.

- specs: if you aren't going to always be able to get to it while fresh, well (and anyway), I'd want tracks. We ended up fitting chains. Also a nice lamp or two. Electric starting. Heated handles maybe.

- clear while it's fresh and dry. The wetter the snow the more annoying it is (clogging up all the mechanism).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What you need is POWER !

http://youtube.com/v/k0g4uUcw0sY?si=01E4g1_oEqUn8d26
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Dontcha just love a little snowplough
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hmmm I might have mis-read the pricing but this does have lights https://www.entrepot-du-bricolage.fr/p/pr-fraise-a-neige-a-roues-otk4002-196-cm-mecafer-486540
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have that one from Entrepot. It is pretty feeble but works Ok for a smallish space or on fresh snow. It is currently not running, probably a fairly simple problem (spark plug or something). Anyone that wants it and can come take it away can have it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
turbosmurf wrote:
Excellent, thanks. Corded, cordless or either?

A snowblower is just a lawnmower for snow.

A big surface area with big snow needs a big blower.

Cordless will be small and weak.

Probably need at least a 24-inch model (width), and powered by gas (petrol).

Find one with a nice big hole, and your blower job will soon be shooting white stuff up in the air while the neighbors watch.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, food for thought. Don't really have space for a petrol one - first floor terrace. Maybe I'll have to work on my shovelling technique
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stevomcd, very often carb clogged with fuel residue.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@turbosmurf, they are quite bulky!

Bigger, lighter shovel?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes for a terrace just get a double-handed shovel / scoop that you see many restaurants / bars clearing their terraces with Very Happy

As ever, if you're able to, clear the light snow every 15cm to stop it from building up, or worse freezing.

snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Yes for a terrace just get a double-handed shovel / scoop that you see many restaurants / bars clearing their terraces with Very Happy

As ever, if you're able to, clear the light snow every 15cm to stop it from building up, or worse freezing.

I'm sure this is right. But maybe an electric blower would manage clearing light 15cm snow, and might be quicker? I can easily believe that it wouldn't deal with compacted or refrozen snow. I have a smaller pusher thing, but I still have to get the snow up and over the railing, and it can't get through refrozen snow either - I've got 20m3 of the stuff waiting for me on the terrace now. Must be at least 3 tons Sad
ski holidays
@turbosmurf, seriously, every review I read said the wee electric things were crap.
latest report
@turbosmurf, How good a shovel do you have? The Magne brand is what the pisteurs use.
latest report
I first realised the huge physical problem posed by snow watching snowploughs lift it into pick up trucks in Les Saisies - and then being dumped outside town. And, of course, digging my car out and having nowhere to dump the snow without walking over the road and chucking it over a steep bank - couldn't just dump it in front of the neighbouring parked cars.
latest report
rjs wrote:
@turbosmurf, How good a shovel do you have? The Magne brand is what the pisteurs use.

Ta - will check that out. I broke the metal one we had clearing the previous dump, so am in the market for a new one regardless.
latest report
@turbosmurf, You might find one in BSM but the Point P in Moutiers should stock them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy