Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich Airport - St Anton (and return) Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
As per the title, I was wondering if any experts on the area could advise on the best method of getting 8 skiers, with kit, to and from St Anton from Zurich airport please?

From the search function on here, and google, the options appear to be a private transfer, hiring a minibus or the train.

However, we'd need to be at Zurich airport for a 11:50 departure on the return. From what I've seen, this may be problematic for the train option.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Marc
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Train is definitely an option, possibly also for the return. In the current schedule there is an early morning train St.Anton 06:16-09:44 Zürich Airport. It might change with the new schedule as of early December www.oebb.at
But given the size of your group you might want to ask https://arlbergexpress.com/de/ for a quote.
Or any other taxi company around the Arlberg/St.Anton.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Marc ... +101 for https://arlbergexpress.com/en/services/zurich-airport-bus-transfer

Used them (coach not taxi) twice, staying in Hotel Arlberg in Stüben and luckily it's a door-to-door service to there Toofy Grin . Family run outfit who are almost like a personal coach service

Bus A & B arrive Zurich 9am & 10:30am respectively (inevitable early start though)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take the train.

It's a nice ride.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for the train here. Really easy and cheap!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks.

At £75 return it's decent value as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mosha Marc, OBB Train and stay overnight at the Radisson Blu hotel at ZRH Airport on way back.

Arlberg Express bus also good, used it only once, not cheap but it worked well.

Private transfer in a mini bus would also work with a group that size, use a AUT company rather than Swiss though (much cheaper), I'd avoid hiring a mini-bus personally from ZRH airport, for 8 people you'd need x2 for all the gear and 8 people, and in CH-land it'd be megabucks.

When you going?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Train is easy enough but can be a bit stressful on the return. It goes painfully slow once in CH and though connections through to the airport from ZRH HBF are plentiful I'd leave plenty of margin for peace of mind. If getting the train Sparswein (spelling) tickets from OBB seem to be best deal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Thanks.

At £75 return it's decent value as well.

Blimey, we paid £44 return (First Class) a few years ago though
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, Hotel Manfred in the middle of town snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mosha Marc, OK, when you there?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Sparswein? Economy-Pig? Very Happy wink Sparschein!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, 27 January to 3 February
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check out www.teds-transfers.com
Private transfer company with a larger 8 seater minibus than most taxi companies Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Two points to note with the Sparschiene, ie discounted tickets:

1. Cancellation or changes are not permitted. The ticket is for a specific train on the selected day.

2. They are not widely available. You will rarely (ever?) find them offered on peak/popular services.

On the flip side, the discounts can be quite decent.
latest report
@whitedescents, thanks. I've messaged them.

@ulmerhutte, @Dave of the Marmottes, there are discounted trains available, but I've messaged OBB who also do group rates for more than 6pax
snow report
@Mosha Marc, don’t forget to book from the airport to main ZRH station. It’s only a short hop but they police fare dodgers pretty tightly.
snow conditions
Cheers
ski holidays
Sun transfers. Just over 2hrs last time did it. About 65eur per person each way
snow conditions
I contacted the train people and the coach people for group booking prices. Groups don't get Sparschein rates, so it's 83euro return on the train and 110euro on the coach. Per person.

I also emailed http://www.teds-transfers.com/ they didn't have availability, but put me in touch with Alpen Shuttle who did.

They quoted 120euro return, only about 37euro more than the train and 10euro more than the scheduled coach service!

Went with them just for ease and time flexibility.

Thanks everyone for advice.
snow report
@Mosha Marc, how much to hire an 8 seater and drive yourself?
snow conditions
Alp 2 alps transfer is what I use.

Have 3 spaces returning to Zurich I'd like to fill on January 4th Thursday morning leaving St anton at 6am for 11am flight.

Feel free to reach out if anyone wants to jump in!
snow conditions
Train would be cutting fine, but you should tally up 8 return train tickets (+to/from airport) & see what the price comes to.
From there you can price up renting a minivan or getting transfers & if the savings of public transport are worth the risk.
Sods law the return gets delayed & you could have got public transport, but you wont know that until the day Toofy Grin
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Mosha Marc, how much to hire an 8 seater and drive yourself?

It's about £150 a head without fuel. And it would be a bit cramped with skis and bags
snow conditions
just a word of warning if using the train, last jan we used innsbruck and the train and it was a hour late and we justed got the flight. this jan were using zurich, to my surprise i got the cheap ticket from SBB for €25 on a friday afternoon Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy