Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I take a Cornish Pasty to Geneva Airport?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm very fond of the Cornish Pasties they sell at Kings Cross.
I'm wondering if I will be banned from taking a flight to GVA.

Shall I put it in hold luggage or take it in hand luggage, or just eat it in Security? Yum NehNeh

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-11-23 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DrLawn wrote:
I'm very fond of the Cornish Pasties they sell at Kings Cross.
I'm wondering if I will be banned from taking a flight to GVA.

Shall I put it in hold luggage or take it in hand luggage, or just eat it in Security? Yum NehNeh

If you put it in your hand luggage you could also eat it on the aircraft since AFAIK any restrictions on meat products etc only apply once you're entering the country in question. Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've taken a pork pie on many occasions from Liverpool or Manchester airports to Geneva, Basel, Zurich, Innsbruck and Salzburg over the past few years in my overhead rucksack and I'm pleased to report that I've never been arrested or had one confiscated. By nature I'm a calculating risk taker, always have been. I suppose by the law of averages my luck might run out in the year's ahead.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowbandit56, How long ago was that though, it only became illegal after Brexit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect that this is not one of modern life's more crazy adventures.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
I suspect that this is not one of modern life's more crazy adventures.

Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
@Snowbandit56, How long ago was that though, it only became illegal after Brexit.

Hmmm, importing processed pork products into CH has always been tricky
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very Happy @DrLawn,

Thought it was uncooked meat etc that you'd have trouble with.

Cooked personal food (not bulk, commercial scale) I "think" was not the subject of control, with someone on here having their collar felt at road border crossing for an uncooked Turkey, but cooked meats for their family not subject to control if I remember that with any accuracy.

Cornish Pasty, I eat mine in Saint Agnes at the little bakery in the corner in village when visiting that area Laughing particularly good and worth the trip if near. Decent walk down to beach and back up again to mitigate the calories Smile
Spectacular sausage rolls too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Checking of hand luggage (I don't know about screening of hold luggage) is at the UK departing airport and all they are interested in is whether you have a bomb in your pasty. Top tip: don't.

There is unlikely to be any checking at Geneva, but it is in their rights to do so. Just don't provoke them by importing Cornish pasties in bulk with the aim of contaminating European food supplies.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It had not crossed my mind to stop at Kings Cross and buy a pasty as ...
I was going take a direct train to Farringdon to pick up the Elizabeth line, then through to Heathrow.

But because of the overtime ban, it looks like I can only get as far as Kings Cross, so the plan is to grab a pasty to keep me warm and go out and pick up a number 63 bus to Farringdon.

This trip is going "off piste" already. Laughing but "on pasty".

It usually take about 2hrs for these things to cool down enough to eat. NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stop press @DrLawn, bus 63 on diversion as Farringdon Road has gas main work closures, takes ages according to my updating oracle (son at UAL) adises to use tube Met, circle or Hammersmith and City from KC SP to Farringdon. Very Happy

Still on for a pasty though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
rjs wrote:

Hmmm, importing processed pork products into CH has always been tricky

Definitely on numerous occasions before and after Brexshit. I live near Wigan, pie capital of the North so it's a bit of a Lancashire tradition to carry one with you when travelling in far and distant lands. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/new-zealand-woman-fined-for-crossing-australian-border-with-chicken-sandwich/wcm/370e47bb-ba90-403f-aa6f-edf0c096f835#:~:text=A%20New%20Zealand%20woman%20was,Christchurch%20Airport%20on%20May%202.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, I'm taking Bovril cubes, technically a meat product.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely the temptation of a good Cornish in your pocket will mean it will be well eaten long before Geneva
ski holidays
A tip from an 'local'. There are very few mass pasty producers whom make a decent, authentic pasty now. Even down here, the small one off shops/makers have mostly disappeared to be replaced by larger factories. If anyone happens to be on the Lizard peninsula in their travels, pop in here https://www.facebook.com/GearFarmPastyco/. Fantastic pasties. Literally like Grannie's. Everyone's Granny in Cornwall makes/made the best pasty. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Hi @TOOTIE, I'm going to buy two of them, the one in question is my "backup pasty".
1) For lunch at Heathrow.
2) To make the whole Lardy Bus jealous as the aroma wafts through the bus. Razz
snow report
@ski3, Thanks for the "Heads up"
I'll check out what is going on on Saturday morning... the Number 63 would be the handiest to Farringdon.
Otherwise I'm across the road to pick up a 73 or a 390 to Tottenham Court Rd.

I'm not keen on taking the underground, it seems like just a huge rabbit warren under Kings Cross, I like to stay at Street level.
snow conditions
Better take 2 back up pasties looking at weather on transfer day in alps this weekend !!
snow report
Probably need to put one in each available pocket given station of travel, it's freaky cold down there in Farringdon Station if you've got a long wait Very Happy
ski holidays
The met line from Farringdon to King’s Cross starts at ground level - it’s a very simple one stop. The roadworks round Farringdon are hellish at the moment.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
I'll check out what is going on on Saturday morning... the Number 63 would be the handiest to Farringdon.

I'm not keen on taking the underground, it seems like just a huge rabbit warren under Kings Cross, I like to stay at Street level.

Yes, son seems to have a built in subterranean navigation system to help decipher that whole area. Like a snakes and ladders game down there Very Happy even knows which seats to travel in to be next to exit on arrival.
snow report
I might be mistaken but haven't those places closed in the railway stations? Certainly the one in Marylebone is no more.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
A tip from an 'local'. There are very few mass pasty producers whom make a decent, authentic pasty now. Even down here, the small one off shops/makers have mostly disappeared to be replaced by larger factories. If anyone happens to be on the Lizard peninsula in their travels, pop in here https://www.facebook.com/GearFarmPastyco/. Fantastic pasties. Literally like Grannie's. Everyone's Granny in Cornwall makes/made the best pasty. Madeye-Smiley

Can confirm...although bit of a detour from King's Cross.
ski holidays
Take one with a vegetarian filling and you will be fine....

There are now two Greggs at St Pancras!
snow report
eps wrote:
I might be mistaken but haven't those places closed in the railway stations? Certainly the one in Marylebone is no more.
If you mean the West Cornwall Pasty Co then I think you are right. Sad
snow report
Can you claim its an emotional support pastry? The French authorities will understand that.
ski holidays
Hurdy wrote:

Then it wouldn't be a Cornish Pasty!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski3 wrote:
DrLawn wrote:

Yes, son seems to have a built in subterranean navigation system to help decipher that whole area. Like a snakes and ladders game down there Very Happy even knows which seats to travel in to be next to exit on arrival.

KC signage is built to facilitate people flow, not to get you where you want to go by the shortest route. There are plenty of shortcuts
snow report
Hurdy wrote:

That's not a pasty, it's just a novelty shaped pie.
snow report
Maybe I could say it was a "Calzone"
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
If anyone happens to be on the Lizard peninsula in their travels, pop in here https://www.facebook.com/GearFarmPastyco/. Fantastic pasties. Literally like Grannie's. Everyone's Granny in Cornwall makes/made the best pasty. Madeye-Smiley

But can it pass the "dropping the pasty down a Cornish tin mine shaft" test? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
dunc999 wrote:
Hurdy wrote:

Then it wouldn't be a Cornish Pasty!

Indeed - even better! There are several around Liverpool Street and one inside the station
snow report
@holidayloverxx, if its the one up near Liverpool street and you're planning on taking it out of the country, then you may need to apply for a AHC
snow conditions
@eps, Good Grief. The last train out towards High Wycombe from Marylebone, 23:10 rings a bell, was known as the Pasty Train. Many a preemptive strike on the impending hangover!
ski holidays
As for the original question, in hand luggage screening it depends on whether the consistency looks similar to the profile of explosives. For instance a hard cheddar would be fine, a soft Brie not. In hold luggage no problem as long as it’s not laid alongside an electrical item which might then look like an improvised explosive device.

Some airports in the UK now have the latest gen of scanners that can differentiate between cheese and C5.
Incidentally, this is why security at LBA is taking over an hour this week as they transition from old to new scanning tech.
snow report
This thread definitely has an undertone for passing secret spy messages.

Is said pasty actually a dossier of russian documents destin for the 63 bus at Farringdon?
latest report
@chocksaway, will my Bovril cubes be ok? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@thecramps, They are dry I believe, so no snags. (Can’t stand the stuff sorry! But with you on truffles, coriander and asparagus including the effects of asparagusic acid).
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Thanks Madeye-Smiley Nowt like a mug of steaming Bovril after a cold ski day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy