Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Darren Turner ski instruction video series

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure (hope?) many of you Snowheads have had the pleasure to ski with Darren over the years, or if not, taken advantage of his app for ski instruction!
His latest venture is a free series of ski instruction videos on Youtube, there are currently 6 on there with more to come, all filmed and edited by Darren himself.
I first met Darren here in Serre Chevalier just after moving out here, he has his own private ski school and is keen to put back into skiing what he gets out from it, which is unusual to say the least!
Feel free to take a look, I'll pass on any feedback and you never know, he may just pop his chirpy head over the parapet Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/@DarrenTurnerSkiing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-11-23 19:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Watched his comeback video. Really high quality production. Might try and tackle the vids for personal improvement days this winter though easier to see than do.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, Can you check the link Ken, it seems faulty.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Seahoob, fixed (I hope!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the heads up.

His old stuff is here: https://www.youtube.com/@skng
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, thanks for adding that
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good shout; I thought his vids from back in the day were really good and his new ones popped into my feed recently.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have already watched them, I was wondering did any Snowheads know him.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
biddpyat wrote:
I have already watched them, I was wondering did any Snowheads know him.

I've spent 4 days in group lessons with him. I prefer all of the instructors used on the PSB / EoSB.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 17-11-23 23:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I first came across his videos a few years ago and was astounded at how close his language and thoughts are to the way I teach, not quite the Austrian method but seems to work. Whenever clients ask about YouTube I always say to look at his videos (the SkiSchool series) and nothing else.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love the old stuff and new. After a 4 year gap since the last ski these are great to get a refresher ahead of my trip in Jan.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great stuff, great teacher
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a massive fan of Darren's videos, but having had in person lessons with him before, if I was in Serre Chevalier (his home resort), I'd be looking at either Gavin Crosby or Ben Birt (Ski Connections) for lessons
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
I'm sure (hope?) many of you Snowheads have had the pleasure to ski with Darren over the years, or if not, taken advantage of his app for ski instruction!
His latest venture is a free series of ski instruction videos on Youtube, there are currently 6 on there with more to come, all filmed and edited by Darren himself.
I first met Darren here in Serre Chevalier just after moving out here, he has his own private ski school and is keen to put back into skiing what he gets out from it, which is unusual to say the least!
Feel free to take a look, I'll pass on any feedback and you never know, he may just pop his chirpy head over the parapet Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/@DarrenTurnerSkiing

thanks, I'm another one that likes his videos but wouldn't have picked up a new channel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great to see the positive comments guys, don't forget to subscribe to his channel on YouTube, the more followers, the more he can produce new videos for you!!!
ski holidays
already have.
snow report
Watched a huge number of his videos and gained a huge amount from them. I probably gain more from a decent video than a face to face lesson because I'll have the repetition of watching it several times...although a proper lesson will pick up the stuff that I don't realise that I'm doing wrong.
ski holidays
@KenX They also make Serre Chevalier look fantastic
snow conditions
I've bumped into him a couple of times when I've been on PSB bashes.
Both times at the top of the Toviere lift.
I recognised his voice first, and told him how much I appreciate his videos.
snow conditions
richb67 wrote:
@KenX They also make Serre Chevalier look fantastic

That's coz it is Very Happy
snow report
Great vids
latest report
I learnt to ski by watching Darren's original ski tutorials, and then had the pleasure of a lesson with him. An excellent teacher, and thoroughly nice man.
snow conditions
His latest videos seem to say all the same things that I find myself saying to my customers - nice to know I'm on the right track wink .
ski holidays
karin wrote:
His latest videos seem to say all the same things that I find myself saying to my customers - nice to know I'm on the right track wink .

Aaaaahh but can you do lunch as well as he can Laughing
ski holidays
All this ubiquitous fawning is making me feel sick.

He's only a ski instructor FFS
latest report
I’ve sat through a couple and I don’t get what any of the fuss is about. Looks to me like a triumph of moderately slick, formulaic videography over substance.
ski holidays
@Whitegoldsbrother, @JayRo, of course why celebrate or promote something positive which is insightful and helpful when it’s just as easy to run it down and be negative eh? You should both get jobs in the British press assuming you haven’t already.
snow report
Was just going to say, this is a thread for people who are really appreciative of the videos and the trolling looks really odd and childish. I also think the videos are excellent and was really pleased there are new ones, going to watch them right now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Soozm wrote:
Was just going to say, this is a thread for people who are really appreciative of the videos and the trolling looks really odd and childish. I also think the videos are excellent and was really pleased there are new ones, going to watch them right now.

Agreed. The videos are slick and utilize excellent videography, but the content is also excellent. In both the old and new ones, he often has a terrific way of explaining a concept that is often difficult to put into words. I also agree that he is only a ski instructor FFS, but at least as far as the videos are concerned, he appears to be a good one.
latest report
jirac18 wrote:
of course why celebrate or promote something positive which is insightful and helpful when it’s just as easy to run it down and be negative eh?

Personally, I don't find these anywhere near as insightful or helpful as the vast majority of videos posted on the 'insight and analysis videos' thread, none of which get fawned over to anything like this degree. I'm curious as to why that is: either I'm missing something, or, err, I'm missing something.
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I'm a massive fan of Darren's videos, but having had in person lessons with him before, if I was in Serre Chevalier (his home resort), I'd be looking at either Gavin Crosby or Ben Birt (Ski Connections) for lessons

Why's that?
snow conditions
The things that made Darren Turner's videos so valuable to me when I discovered them when I was first learning to ski were the consistency, the choice of topics - which is as much what he chose to leave out as what he put in, and the production quality.

The production quality was probably the biggest thing, to be honest. There are so many crappy skiing tutorial videos on YouTube. I'm sure those producing them are excellent instructors and mean well, but it sometimes feels like one has to wade through fifteen videos with bad sound, dodgy filming or some other fault before finding something useful. It's just exhausting.

Whereas, if I'm searching for something and a Darren Turner video comes up in the list of hits, I immediately relax. I just gravitate to it because I know it will be clear, succinct and just professionally done all round.

Yes - I'm sure that, for any given concept, there would be a better video out there than the Darren Turner one. But I would have to find it. And life is short.
snow conditions
@JayRo, that's the thing with instruction, not all things work for all people. What you think is perfect may be tedious shite to me, and vice versa. I found the clear, simple and succinct videos from Darren to be clear and memorable once I was actually on the mountain. Being a good instructor isn't just about knowing what to do technically, it's about being able to translate that in a way which works for the student.
snow report
Yeah. And not even one mention of the apres ski instructors. We try just as hard and get zero credit.Nothing.
latest report
@Weathercam,
Quote:

Aaaaahh but can you do lunch as well as he can

Undoubtedly not! However, I do believe that his first time on skis was at our ski slope, because he went to school there. Before my time, though.
snow conditions
@karin, yes, he started his journey on a dry slope, his Dad, David, took him all over the UK after that racing most weekends, he (David) still lives in Serre Chevalier along with Darren's sister Davina, also a ski instructor, running her own ski school "Ski Connections" in Villeneuve!
snow conditions
@KenX, my boss/friend who runs the slope, and has done since he left the school that the slope is part of, knew Davina quite well. When we were in SC last winter they actually managed to catch up with each other.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy