Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stockli Montero AX question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am about to order a new pair of Stockli Montero AX skis in 173cm length. They receive great reviews and, based on the descriptions, they are exactly what I am looking for.

I contacted Stockli, just to confirm the base/side angles (in case it was different from my previous skis and so I might need some new servicing tools). And they have said the skis have 1.5 degrees base edge angle and 2 degrees side angle from factory.

I'm not really an expert, but from my limited understanding, I believe the base angle is the most important as it relates to how quickly you can get the ski onto an edge, so more "race" orientated skis might be 0.5 degrees, more typical skis might be 1 degree, and some often people might tune their skis to something in-between.

So I'm now a bit concerned that the 1.5 degree base angle could make them feel a bit 'slow' to get onto an edge for carving etc. But that would contradict the reviews which suggests they are an excellent carving ski.

Does anyone here own a pair of Monero AX skis, and did you find this a concern/issue?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect you'll be fine regardless.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gliss, ignore what Stockli's Marketing Dept tells you as, like most brands, they're idiots. The Montero AX comes with a 1 degree base edge angle and a 2 degree (=88 ) side edge angle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's interesting - could they really get it so wrong?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gliss, I forgot to mention to you at Hemel that I was looking at Stockli Montero's as all rounders. On paper the AR's sounded perfect for me and managed to hire a pair of AR's in Hintertux. I generally like stiff skis but they were very plank ish and hard work at the width and I really didnt like em, very similar to the storm rider before them just not for me.. Didnt get a chance to try the AX as none in stock but they could be a good choice for you and better imo than the AR.

I did think 1.6 base seemed wrong, good to get confirmation from Jon.. Stick with 1 deg base and I wouldn't go to under 1deg on these wider skis. If you want to play with base bevels to see how they react differently start out on SL or GS narrow skis and maybe try a .75 ish. 0.5 can be hard to handle if your not used to it and I wouldn't jump to that end of the spectrum just yet
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to update the thread, I received the Montero AX's yesterday so I tried them at Hemel this morning. Super interesting to feel the differences between my old skis (well worn Kaestle MX-74s) and this new pair.

The biggest difference was it was *much* easier to start a turn on the Monteros. The slope doesn't get that bashed up at Hemel, but by around 1130 today some of the soft snow had moved around, and the Stocklis made skiing on that stuff much easier than my MX-74s. I wonder is that is because the shovel of the ski is softer? Not sure of the reason, but the difference was very obvious.

Other than that, I'd say they seemed very "smooth". Not a super insightful description I know, but it was definitely the best word to summarise them.

I'll also be ordering a 1.5 degrees base guide from Jon, so I will be able to test directly whether this particular pair are 1.5 or 1 degree. Will update the thread when I find the information.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought Austin made the Montego?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn’t mess with the base bevel , I would assume they are 1 deg and you don’t want to increase to 1.5
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have an adjustable base bevel and I can bring to Meribel if you want to check but unless you racing downhill 1.5 is too high Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
I have an adjustable base bevel and I can bring to Meribel if you want to check but unless you racing downhill 1.5 is too high Smile

Oh, that would be great. I didn't want to change it, and I'm sure Jon is right that it will most likely be 1 degree, but I thought it would be interesting (as they are currently new) just to double check. So if we can do that next month, that would be perfect!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy