Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Construction?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't know a great deal about helmets but my just about grown up son needs a new one and as he's not growing anymore it makes to get something decent.

Anon's seem to fit him well so using that as an example they have 3 models: a "Hard Shell", "Endura-Shell" and a "Hybrid construction: ABS + In-Mold shell"

Reading this guide it seems that the first one would do the job but is perhaps not as comfortable? Whilst the second would be lighter and less robust. And the last one combines the two to create a robust but very comfortable helmet.

The last two has the Wavecell technology which I understand is like MIPS.

The price difference is quite stark - £81 v £181 v £309 !!

So am I right in saying the step ups are in terms of comfort and safety. And no doubt I will have to shell out for the most expensive?

Any counters, things I've missed?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I, like you, know nothing about helmets, and am interested in buying a new one (mine is several/10 years old). I followed your link, and it's a climbing site. I suspect climbers criteria are quite different to skiers. I'd worry about anything below £100, but wonder whether anything over £250 was worth it. Of course, inflation has been high recently and I may not have accommodated for this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/alpine/alpine-advice/how-choose-your-ski-or-snowboard-helmet
https://www.snowandrock.com/expert-advice-and-inspiration/buying-guides/ski-helmet-buying-guide.html

Goggles play a big part in right choice as well. Or maybe he wants to go integrated? Salomon Driver is around £125 on amazon atm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne,

I kind of go with the idea that he kids need just as good helmets as the grown ups - in fact since both of mine are crazy skiers, and better than me - then much better helmets needed! On that basis I've always got the best helmet I could get for them as the difference in cost is not really a big deal in the scheme of things
Son uses Sweet Protection Trooper 2, and daughter has the fancy smith Vantage one with all the honeycomb stuff. Both seem really good helmets.
I have a Sweet Protection Grimnir which was so crazy expensive that the cost itself is a safety feature as I never want to hit it on anything! Madeye-Smiley

The thing I think the extra cash that the Grimnir and Trooper buy you is that they are both carbon fibre, so I guess that gives the designer more control and flexibility in the design, where to put the weight, strength, etc...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any helmet from a reputable manufacturer will meet the minimum safety standards, but that doesn’t mean the manufacturer can’t make helmets which exceed those safety standards. Race helmets typically have to met higher standards that the normal models, because one they will be used at much higher speeds (and hence be subject to higher impact forces and potentially multiple impacts in the same crash), and two the user will typically crash more frequently as they are on the limit most of the time.

Unless it’s a fashion brand, higher price usually buys higher quality, so if you can afford it there is no reason not to go for high end models.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PowderAdict wrote:
Any helmet from a reputable manufacturer will meet the minimum safety standards, but that doesn’t mean the manufacturer can’t make helmets which exceed those safety standards. Race helmets typically have to met higher standards that the normal models, because one they will be used at much higher speeds (and hence be subject to higher impact forces and potentially multiple impacts in the same crash), and two the user will typically crash more frequently as they are on the limit most of the time.

Unless it’s a fashion brand, higher price usually buys higher quality, so if you can afford it there is no reason not to go for high end models.

I had a laugh to myself the other day when I saw a Kask helmet on the Ellis Brigham site (£450.....) which boasted "carbon effect shell and faux leather ear pads and chin strap to create a rich and sophisticated look" Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tested a smith summit to destruction back in July. Couldn’t see properly out of one eye for a couple of days, and still got dizzy spells and ringing ears but it worked.

Smith also do a surviving customer discount on destroyed helmets and gave me 30% off a replacement.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
£450 it must have been one budget models for the hoi polloi rolling eyes

When you combine Swarovski, Studded and Bognor in a product name, you know you are getting somewhere………

http://www.extravaganzi.com/2010/12/20/swarovski-studded-crystograph-bogner-ski-helmet-titan-edition/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joffy69 wrote:
I, like you, know nothing about helmets

As a non-wearer I ain't that clued up. Read a lot of the discussion on MIPs though.

joffy69 wrote:
am interested in buying a new one (mine is several/10 years old). I followed your link, and it's a climbing site. I suspect climbers criteria are quite different to skiers.

Didn't notice that, although I think in terms of shell construction a lot of the same applies. And it matches with the 3 types of construction I could detect with Anon helmets. I read some other guides aswell.

joffy69 wrote:
I'd worry about anything below £100, but wonder whether anything over £250 was worth it. Of course, inflation has been high recently and I may not have accommodated for this.

Yeah, that was kind of where I was coming from - as I say there are jumps in prices, it's not just a tenner here and there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gored wrote:
Goggles play a big part in right choice as well. Or maybe he wants to go integrated? Salomon Driver is around £125 on amazon atm

He tells me he tried on Anon/Oakley somethings when he was in a resort shop and the fit was good so that is what we are going to replicate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nothing beats getting up close and personal with the kit itself. Personally, as I tend to 'run hot' Good quality ventilation is prime for me and that doesn't always mean 'lots of holes' - I like POC helmets as they use an air flow through the helmet, but it's horses for courses.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
I kind of go with the idea that he kids need just as good helmets as the grown ups - in fact since both of mine are crazy skiers, and better than me - then much better helmets needed! On that basis I've always got the best helmet I could get for them as the difference in cost is not really a big deal in the scheme of things

Well, we are often told any lid is better than no lid. And that as mentioned "Any helmet from a reputable manufacturer will meet the minimum safety standards" and that fit is very important. But point taken. We did upgrade from a Lidl special to a Scott helmet a while back (for my son) but I am ashamed to say (but not really) my daughter is still on a Lidl special!

stuarth wrote:
I have a Sweet Protection Grimnir which was so crazy expensive that the cost itself is a safety feature as I never want to hit it on anything! Madeye-Smiley

Lol

stuarth wrote:
The thing I think the extra cash that the Grimnir and Trooper buy you is that they are both carbon fibre, so I guess that gives the designer more control and flexibility in the design, where to put the weight, strength, etc...

Mmm Carbon Fibre - I haven't really seen anything in my research about that construction/material.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, fair point on the ventilation although laddo seems to like running hot so probably not an issue.

So I have now purchased an Anon Merak from Alpinetrek for £248.16 for him. It has a 100 day return costing £3.99 in worst case.

I did buy some Oakley Flight Deck goggles to go with them from Sportpursuit, which was a great price (£89.99) but didn't notice the stupid lead time (delivery 05/01/2024) so cancelled and now looking elsewhere.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, if you are after goggles I've used RXSport before and found them to be very competitive on price, plus they have a Black Friday thing on at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As said above any helmet has to meet the necessary standards (EN 1077:2007). So you are unlikely to get anything completely c**p from a reputable company. Even the cheap decathlon/Lidl options with meet this. Although you might have to be a bit careful on some hybrid style helmets, from what I remember some helmets meeting the ski mountaineering standard do not necessary meet the pure ski standards.

While many go well above meeting the minimum standards this is never really reported. Not like jackets for instance where you don't just get told waterproof or not waterproof, but also a mm rating). Which is unfortunate as you don't really have any idea which helmet is better than others.

From my experience* there was zero correlation between price of helmet and protection. In fact, often the more expensive helmets sacrificed protection for weight and ventilation (while still meeting the minimum standards). I'd go as far as to say some of the ultralight helmets (tend to be more expensive) were actively gaming the testing. The companies know what the tests are, and how and where they will be conducted, so it's easy to remove some protection in areas that won't be tested to save weight.

Now there's also MIPs to consider. It probably helps compared to the same helmet with no MIPs, but how much really varies on the type of impact. Also worth remembering that a helmet that doesn't have MIPs but is very good at dissipating rotational forces may be better than a less well designed helmet with MIPs. Given the choice between the same helmet with and without I'd always take MIPs, it's not much more expensive, and at worst it's no better. However, I wouldn't lose sleep over not having it.

Assuming any helmet is going to pass the minimum standards, my suggestion would be go and try as many on as possible (important to try with goggles too) and find what is most comfortable. For a teenager, probably also what they think is cool, as trying to get them to wear something they don't like the look of is probably not worth the hassle. Unless they run particularly hot/cold I wouldn't worry about ventilation. Wouldn't worry about weight, if anything I'd avoid the ultralight stuff, it's just not a big deal for downhill skiing.

*I spent a day in a helmet testing lab, watching the testing procedures and chatting with the engineers. Although it was 10 years ago, and they only tested climbing/mountaineering helmets in that lab so feel free to take it with a pinch of salt.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy