Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon 80 Stance vs Rossi Exp 82 Vs Elan 88 Ripstick

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello SH Clan, this is my first post on what is a minefield of great information…never trawled so much Eh oh!

We are of to Les Arcs for Chrimbo for family trip…. Been skiing for 2wks/ year for the last 7yrs and am mad for it…. Rentals have been very
Hit n miss so I’m looking to buy…..

I’m 55 years young and active….enjoy MTB, enduro etc…I’m 85kg 176 tall and can manage most blues and reds. I don’t have an ACL in one knee hence I mindful of ski weight. Looking most piste but loved Andorra and exploring off in the bushes falling over mostly. Was lucky enough to have 1:1 lessons as the others didn’t show and really got into carving ,going into a bowl gulley flipping skis which was so much fun….. not into 50mph nonsense as it hurts and my knee thought is always present.

Done the usual Ellis/Snow Rock and these guys are usually proper skiers and seem to push for high end skis which is probably outside of my ability.
I’m looking at Salomon Stance 80 or 84 , Rossi 82 Basalt or The shops are pushing Ripstick 88s so I’m really confused.

I need to decide as Ekosport have a killer Black Friday promo on….. what is the deal with VAT import these days?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Max
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KTM450, welcome to SHs Happy

You might be better off waiting till you're in France and testing a few different models? Just be a bit discerning over what shop to try? These guys, f'rinstance, offer a free test day https://www.arc2000-ski-rental.com/services.php
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And a warm welcome from me as well.

The safe thing to do is what @under a new name suggests above; however great vfm can be had from the likes of Ekosport and Glisshop (the latter has all charges covered, so check Ekosport is the same)....but this takes more research to minimise the risk.

You could do a lot worse than see the roundups by Ski Essentials on YouTube. They describe how they perform and go over their design and construction.

If looking for a light, playful ski, it's probably best to avoid metal....though the Stance 80 does appear to be on the lighter, softer side. A narrower ski might be easier on the knee.

This covers the Salomon and the Rossi:

http://youtube.com/v/TGGp7aGBrR4

This covers the Elan Ripstick

http://youtube.com/v/yG7DCDFhZ5M&t=5325s
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for your response....Ski Essential....I done it to death - me n Bob are best buddys Very Happy

I think the widest ski I've been on was a 76 but I enjoyed "the side" so much I want to explore more hence why I'm looking
wider.....I really need to understand what the level of sacrifice is for a wider ski....The Stance 80 or 84 does sound good...worried the Ripstick will be too much of a jump.....The Rossi 82 gets all the right feedback although most shops advise to go for Ti version would be too much...

I have booked a trip to the snow dome this week.

Please keep comments coming.......when buying anything I get great enjoyment out of researching the hell out and driving myself mad .......And with skis its the same story!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KTM450, As someone who cut their teeth on Straight Skis, I was very used to narrow.

Back in the early 2000s, 70mm underfoot was considered a Freeride ski (I had some Salomon X Scream Series followed by Atomic BetaRide 11:20 which weren't a big step up in terms of feel).

The first time I was on something wider, was when I hired some Salomon Lord for the day (IIRC Mid 80s underfoot). The weather was fowl with the sort of sleety snow that sticks to your goggles; there had been snow overnight, which quickly became chopped up....all the sort of conditions that made you concentrate when on narrow skis.

The very first thing I noticed on the Lords, was they were running away with me, as they sank less into the snow. Once I adjusted to this, I couldn't believe how much easier they were in these testing, windy conditions.

I currently have some Scott The Ski in a 180 (92 waist) and Dynastar SZ 12 (70 waist).....both bought blind from Glisshop at well over 60% off with free delivery......and I love both. Like you, I did a lot of research and knew what I wanted.

I certainly notice the Scotts are slower edge to edge and so are harder work in Short Turns. I also find their Tip Rocker means engaging the tip doesn't happen as effectively. On the upside, they are wonderful allrounders and great Off Piste (I'm only 10 Stone) and Bumps (not my best discipline). They are reasonably stable, except at very high speeds and very forgiving.....but for me, they did require a period of adjustment.

I think you are probably wise to avoid the 82Ti (unless you like high speed), though you would have the weight and fitness for it. If going for the Basalt version, probably the 176. The Basalt version should be more playful and perfectly fine up to very high speeds. From what Ski Essentials say, the Rossis are very much Piste orientated (more so than the previous version). I would also consider the 86 Basalt, which would give a little extra surface area for softer conditions.

If looking at Elan, maybe the Wingman 82Ti/86Ti would be better. The lesser Ti version is supposed to be more forgiving than the CTi (which is also supposed to be reasonably forgiving). Here is a review of the 86 CTi https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s-all-mountain/ski-reviews-2020-elan-wingman-86-cti/648#:~:text=PROSKILAB%E2%84%A2%20reviewers'%20comments&text=The%20result%20did%20not%20disappoint,first%20turns%20are%20performed%20confidently.

For Piste Skiing, with a little versatility for variable conditions built in, 80-82 seems sensible....but wouldn't rule out 86, in a forgiving, playful ski, if venturing off to the side.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you so much for relaying your experience….. that really helps understand the dilemma…..

The Snowdome have stance 84 in 169 and the 82 basalt in 176 ( which is the length the shop advised).
I would also like to try the stance 80 but they only have in 159 which is not going to give required comparative.
For fun I will also try 88 Ripstick but I think it maybe a struggle.

I’m never going to be lightning but I do like “playing”…. I just want to make sure I’m not overskied which
Could them hamper my trip…

ATB,
Max
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KTM450 wrote:
Thank you so much for relaying your experience….. that really helps understand the dilemma…..

The Snowdome have stance 84 in 169 and the 82 basalt in 176 ( which is the length the shop advised).
I would also like to try the stance 80 but they only have in 159 which is not going to give required comparative.
For fun I will also try 88 Ripstick but I think it maybe a struggle.

I’m never going to be lightning but I do like “playing”…. I just want to make sure I’m not overskied which
Could them hamper my trip…

ATB,
Max

I would say 169 is a bit short unless the ski is pretty stiff and 159 is way too short.

I think trying the Ripstick is a good idea and would be surprised if it's a struggle - it just requires a little more patience on the edge change. If you like the L&R ski design, consider the Wingman.

Let us know how you get on.

FWIW My Scotts are not tiring to ski, as they are pretty forgiving - which is why I can get away with a 180.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
UPDATE: I visited the snow dome….here my thoughts coming from a basic intermediate ski level….

STANCE 84 /169: very light almost flimsy..easy to turn however the back end was very skittish….

ROSsI 82 BAS(176)again uberlight but felt flimsy and I think I could get a little. Sterile with these

ROSSI FORZA 50:(171) absolute rock ship, so quick to accelerate, very quick to turn (75mm)
Great edge grip.

ELAN RIPSTICK 88 (172): it made Mel feel like a super hero, so stable, requires great input for turn
Initiation, so planted, the others did not even come close.

Will go for the Ripstick with Tyrolia Attack 11….. ordering from SkiBarlett….could save a lot with Ekosport
However I appreciate the local support of a reputable outfit.

Thank you all for input/ comment…If I can give something back to SH my advice is to travel to the snowdome
And try before you buy….it’s also really enjoyable ( good/back) to try different skis…

Can’t wait to get the Ripstick and travel to Les Arcs over Christmas Eh oh!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KTM450, The Ripstick gets great owner feedback.

Enjoy your new toy. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In hindsight I wish I’d got something to challenge the Ripstick but the winner was so obvious….

Thx Max
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy