Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walking trainers with long lasting soles

Poster: A snowHead
I usually buy Salomon or Adidas Terrex waterproof approach shoe type trainers, for general wearing and dog walking. I do on average say 10-12k steps a day. I'm finding more recently that the soles are barely lasting 6 months. For example I bought Salomon X Ultra 4 in June and the sole is getting pretty close to being worn down at heels. Annoyingly the uppers are usually in good nic.
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of waterproof trainers that will last please? Not keen on Scarpa ones as the ones I bought last year gave me toe rub.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boabski, HOKA or Ontraining? I've got 3 pairs HOKA, and 2 Ontraining, always used to buy Saloman but they started to wear quick. Both HOKA and OT seem much better quality and better sole life.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Couldn't you replace the sole?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe Merrell would be better. I have no direct experience, but they have (or at least used to have) a decent reputation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boabski, 10-12k steps/day is v.approx 5 miles so you're getting close to 1,000miles/pair in 6 months.

I'd be surprised if you can find much that is more durable than that. I find that for running I get 4-500miles/pair, and hiking (where the midsole takes less of a beating) I might get 6-800, but they're pretty beaten up by the end.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear Merrell Chameleon most the time for things like that, very comfortable and get good wear from them. Same for their walking sandals - the Kahunas.
Heavier duty dog walking like when they want to go for a paddling I use Keen (think they are Targhee). They have been bombproof, had them for years. Still waterproof up to the ankle.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Merrils as above or:

https://www.cheshireshoe.co.uk/ who can resole nearly everything.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, my Mrs has a pair of Adidas Terrex, about six months old, and the grip where her heel hits the floor has nearly gone.

I've just got a pair of Salomon Supercross shoes and notice the grips are thin and widely spaced, so I guess they will wear quickly as well - so I bought a backup pair of Hoka's for hard surface walks.

I think it's a bit like bike tyres tyres; you can have super grippy, or hard wearing, or a compromise.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the trouble with most off road type shoes is the rubber compound is designed to grip on wet rock and the likes, as such the carbon conternt is lower and the sole by default is softer to give grip.... trouble is that just wears quicker and there isnt a lot of option

perhaps go to a walk boot with a more durable sole that can be resoled when needed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had my rock climbing shoes repaired by this lot and I confess they did a very good job. https://www.cheshireshoe.co.uk/ much cheeper than new shoes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boabski, Take a look at the Meindl's, expensive but great shoes/ boots.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have ON (some kind of all terrain), and the other one has Salomon Speedcross. The Salomons do wear quick, but he seems to like them anyway. The ON ones have an a very deep, wide tread which collects large rocks, up to about 3cm diameter. This considerably increases the weight of the shoes, and makes them a bit noisy Laughing I'll probably try something different next time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
I have ON (some kind of all terrain), and the other one has Salomon Speedcross. The Salomons do wear quick, but he seems to like them anyway. The ON ones have an a very deep, wide tread which collects large rocks, up to about 3cm diameter. This considerably increases the weight of the shoes, and makes them a bit noisy Laughing I'll probably try something different next time.

Segs?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mosha Marc, come again?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To replace the stones
snow conditions
Thanks again everyone. Will look into some of these options. @CEM, I think you're right. Companies will design them to be good for wet rocks etc and that must give up some durability I'm guessing.
ski holidays
Dr Martens.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, mmm, thought you lived in Yorkshire before? You know what Segs are? Same as Blakeys.
snow report
I have a few pairs of ASICS trail running shoes (trabuco, venture, and Sonoma) that have done a lot of miles and still holding up ok. Same for hoka speedgoats.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
I have ON (some kind of all terrain)

Doesn't everyone that lives around here? Laughing

I bought a pair of Salomon Supercross 4 on sale last summer, and they're absolutely done now. Give me blisters on the heel and the grip where the ball of my foot is really worn. Back in June I bought a pair of Merrell MTL MQM as I noticed them in my local TKMaxx. They're half a size too small really, so while they're not worn out yet, i'll be buying a new pair for next spring/summer as my big toes smash in the front and hurt.

I'll probably end up buying another pair of Salomons again, as there's a discount via instructor quals, but I do fancy a pair of ON.
snow report
boabski wrote:
... the sole is getting pretty close to being worn down at heels. Annoyingly the uppers are usually in good nic.

luanb wrote:
Couldn't you replace the sole?

...I have some quite expensive Scarpa walking "trainers" with leather uppers but the soles were quite soft rubber which wore out.

Took them to Timpsons, and they sent them off to their main workshop who fitted some proper Vibram soles which are excellent.

The guy in Timpsons was really good - he discounted the full price as he thought that was more than the value of the shoes something like £80 down to £50 - when I checked the cost to replace the shoes they're now > £130 so was well chuffed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Vibram soles do wear out mich quicker, the con of being soft for traction.

Could you use normal harder wearing running trainers with maybe waterproof socks for the waterproofing bit? Or is the ground you cover too rough for running shoe’s poorer track and need the softer soles for traction?
latest report
@Mosha Marc, @Markymark29, nope, I must be too young, or not a horse. I’m still none the wiser Confused
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Maybe Merrell would be better. I have no direct experience, but they have (or at least used to have) a decent reputation.

bought hubby some Merrell for Christmas last year, but they're already leaking.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Sad

Not good.
latest report
swskier wrote:
……….Back in June I bought a pair of Merrell MTL MQM……….

I had a pair of those - the Goretex started to leak within about three months, returned them. They gave up around the end of tongue/start of toe box where the boot flexed. Not impressed.
snow conditions
If I were covering enough ground to wear out a good pair of shoes in 6 months I'd be feeling rather pleased with myself!
ski holidays
Surely this
Quote:

perhaps go to a walk boot with a more durable sole that can be resoled when needed
I used to favour Brasher boots, which were very light and virtually indestructible, as well staying waterproof until the bitter end, but Brasher are no more. I've just bought a pair of Scarpas, which seem similar. I much prefer boots with leather uppers, which are easy to clean and nourish; mud gets stuck in Gortex stitching and is difficult to shift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I swear by scarpas. Do you have fitted footbeds?
ski holidays
@joffy69,
Quote:

Do you have fitted footbeds?

No. The ones that come with the boots seem fine for me, at least they do so far. The boots are a good fit.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
.....I used to favour Brasher boots, which were very light and virtually indestructible, as well staying waterproof until the bitter end, but Brasher are no more.....

Brashers were brilliant. I managed to stash a couple of pairs but have been trying for a over a year now to find a replacement and nothing comes close.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, have you tried the Scarpa lookalikes? I've not had mine long, but am hopeful. (The Salomons I got in between went to the charity shop in short order.)
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
.....I used to favour Brasher boots, which were very light and virtually indestructible, as well staying waterproof until the bitter end, but Brasher are no more.....

Brashers were brilliant. I managed to stash a couple of pairs but have been trying for a over a year now to find a replacement and nothing comes close.
agree about brasher as had various sizes for the kids, really well made lightweight boots.

Something that may be of interest (for the OP as well) are this type https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en/tbl-uk/outlet-collection/euro-sprint-hiking-boot-for-men-in-brown-a5q14dq8 not something I'd ordinarily pick out, but bought a predecessor to this primarily for mtb on flat/ spiky pedals. Looked for something with ankle covering, not for support as much as hate knocking my bones on things when compromised action tends to get them. Cocking something up in other words Very Happy

I wanted that protection with ankle flex in rotation along with durable sole to not feel the spikes through the base.

Experience has been, surprisingly, far above what I'd thought I'd get. They really have been waterproof, also extending far more into walking, running etc than just cycling and generally put them on for anything now not requiring more focused footwear.

Construction is light, more like a trainer, with very flexible sole rather than more rigid in heavier walk boot, as said much closer to trainer than pure boot, but hardly any real wear to soles and good traction.

I must admit in buying speculative mood, having not owned this brand, but honestly really surprised over how big a range they cover, along with durability far beyond any expected lifing.
ski holidays
Have to be a bit careful recommending Merrell. Some of their shoes are normal ones and others a vague attempt at barefoot* shoes I think.
I replaced Salomon (I think they were X-Ultra) with Merrell normal type shoes just before the last ski season and they still have grip and tread, even after using them almost every day. Goretex IME fails pretty quick anyway. By the time I've bagged 4-5 Wainrights (or equivalent amount of walking) the Goretex has gone, regardless of brand. I know some purposefully get the non-waterproof versions of hiking/fellrunning shoe, and let them get submerged and dry out rather than try to keep feet dry.
Would order either again, same size, online, knowing that they'd fit. Tried Adidas on in the store when I tried Merrell, and the sizes seem to vary from what should be an international standard.

(* a stupid name IMHO)
ski holidays
Maybe something here: https://www.countryfile.com/go-outdoors/best-walking-shoes
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

They usually look good in presentation in my experience but with some odd dropouts in performance.

Really hard heel seam ? That hooks over into achillies tendon area that can give problems in rubbing. Cracking of various bits under flex, presumably from material specification. And some of the sole materials appear to have a durability that extends into almost zero traction on some, admittedly, suboptimal surfaces, sometimes with comical ferocity until you hit the deck Shocked

I like the design, but as a family have now avoided them as too compromised generally.
latest report
@Scarlet, It's a Northern thing - when I was young growing up in Bradford all good quality new shoes with leather soles (and clogs back in the textile mills days) used to be fitted with segs (Blakeys) as soon as you bought them - at schools we were banned from wearing them in the 70's because they scratched the newly polished floors in assembly......and needless to say they were supposed to be cool, when fitted to brogues, worn with red socks, Levi Staypress, checked Ben Sherman shirt with button down collars, and beige or black Harrington jackets mid 70's (think Paul Weller/ Jam etc) wink Sad eh?! Laughing
snow conditions
@Markymark29, I still wear that gear Toofy Grin
latest report
@boabski, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy