Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for telescopic poles?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a decent set of adjustable poles, ideally that will fit in a (large) suitcase (I don't own skis, and am not going to be buying any for the foreseeable future).

I'm 1.75m tall (5'9"), and like a short pole, around 105cm when skiing on-piste, but want something adjustable for use off-piste and uphill (whether skinning or poling). Ideally with interchangeable piste and powder baskets.

It'd be nice if it collapsed (or came apart) to somewhere in the region of 70cm, although a little longer is fine if need be. I presume that means three-piece. Any recommendations of things that are both adjustable strong enough not to collapse under any pressure? Are there any I should be avoiding?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you considered using telescopes as poles?

Anything by Leki innit? The best. They have plenty to choose of from. The Haute Route is 3 part. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get the Leki ones that 'fold'. They’re much more sturdy than the cheaper telescopic type. Mrs t_m has a pair of these:

https://www.leki.co.uk/item/679/Leki/Leki-Sherpa-FX-Carbon-Midnight-Bluedark-Bluebright-Red.html

And you can get whatever baskets you need.

https://www.leki.co.uk/browse/c-SpareParts-174/c-Others-190/c-Baskets-194/

Edited to correct link.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JayRo, the first set of (Leki) telescopic poles I had were the twist type where you turn the telescopic section to unlock and then turn it in the other direction to lock. However I found that after some time one of the poles lost its firm grip when turned to lock so if you pressed down heavily on the pole it would telescope down Sad . The next set of poles I got (Gipron) used a fliplock arrangement which is much more secure. Incidentally Gipron is probably not that well known in the UK, they are an Italian brand and I believe actually manufacture some ski poles for other brands e.g Black Diamond. A bit of background history on Gipron: https://www.banksofperth.co.uk/browse/Gipron_0_152_0_de_c.html

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 1-11-23 20:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JayRo, I use something like these for touring https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/fr_EU/product/trail-back/?colorid=8034
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, absolutely!

Avoid twist-lock and find flick-lock.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Black diamond traverse poles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
225 quid for a set of poles?! I think I paid about €50 for my Black Diamond ones (see above), and about the same from another sH for the Leki ones. Flick lock types are fine, twisty ones are not. Leki maybe has the advantage of spares being readily available in shops all over, though BD is probably not too far behind that. Collapsed length varies a bit, so check that before purchase. “Women's” poles may be lighter and collapse even shorter – check the overall length though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any flicklock. Lots now available including Decathlon and Aldi/Lidl walking poles for peanuts when they have em. Get some Pow baskets from Decathlon for a few quid and you're laughing.

Regardless if you bend a section you might find they aren't as compactable. You can prevent this by buying carbon which will just shatter instead.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
225 quid for a set of poles?!

Shocked

I've got some black diamond carbon Z-poles which are almost identical that cost me about 50 of your English pesos. Don't trust them much for bigger missions though, being carbon and all that and the rubber cones inside the poles have fallen apart, exposing the cord, and if that breaks the poles won't assemble, and it's not repairable.

I can recommend the g3 guide folding poles if small pack size is important. I have a bit of a thing for getting new poles Very Happy Got some of these last year, and they have been excellent to use and bomb proof, but I still prefer the BD traverse poles for simplicity.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a pair of something similar to this (there's a bunch of the same model being sold on Amazon under different brand names).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collapsible-110-130CM-Adjustable-Telescopic-Backpacking/dp/B09V2Q6GRT/ref=mp_s_a_1_29_sspa?crid=XS1EGI5NKWAC&keywords=hiking+poles+fold&qid=1698885912&sprefix=hiking+poles+fold%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-29-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

Can't fault them, actually better than the previous BDs I had. Have survived everything from 7000m peak, trail running, hiking, splitboarding. Come with a bunch of different baskets/bottoms but I just use the powder baskets all year because I'm too lazy to switch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JayRo, oh and 105cms for 175 cms tall sounds really rather too short. I'm 168cms and ski 115poles iirc. I think they'll encourage bending forward at the waist. or a weird arm position.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, yeah good point. I'm 163cm and use 110 cm pole, which some might consider a touch on the short side (I set the adjustable ones to about 112cm when hiking). Body geometry varies a bit, but 105 still sounds a bit short.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought 2 pairs of those
https://www.leki.com/int/en/Spitfire-Vario-3D/65367101
but one of them kept collapsing each time under pressure however tight I tried to close it, till I turned the plastic screw even tighter and then the plastic clamp broke while shutting it.
Not impressed, won't buy them again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use BD traverse, very happy with them.
snow report
I love the handles on the Leki poles, but unfortunately lost my carbon one-piece version last season - left in the car park next to the car - and could only find them in the multi-part models. These days I never really need adjustable ones and have always found them a little more awkward, slightly heavier, slightly more likely to catch on things, slightly less confidence that they'll not accidentally collapse on me if I put too much weight on them. Horses for courses of course, and if I did need new multi-part ones these would definitely be the ones I would choose.
ski holidays
Scott do/did some nice 3-section telecopic poles. Really nice, comfortable cork hand grips and swappable piste/powder baskets.

Only downside is they can snap...when you wipe out at high speed, going head over heals at least 3 times, and finding yourself sat in the middle of a full yard sale looking down the mountain. Probably not Scott's fault the pole snapped to be fair.

Guessing you're after a pair but if you wat a single pole I've got one you can have cheap Very Happy
latest report
@Mjit, If the breakage was, erm, user error, and you're not put off them, simply keep buying the same ones. It's inevitable you'll get another matching pair eventually Laughing
latest report
Quote:

about the same from another sH for the Leki ones

@Scarlet, Quality poles those. Best deal you ever did that one wink , still kicking myself! Laughing
ski holidays
I had good experience with a pair of k2 carbon flip locks but have upgraded to a pair of BD carbon flip locks for this season. Picked up in sales for approx £50. Also picked two pairs of komperdell flip lock carbon poles for my neices for €25 online as kids poles in general are shite. All poles where picked up at end of last season. Not a great time to pick up cheap deals on quality gear.
Don't think I would pay more than £50 for a set of poles, I missed out on a new pair of norrona carbon adjustable poles on fleebay went for £70 but they were made by komperdell.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 2-11-23 13:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@JayRo, Mrs Ski has a lovely (expensive) set of Leki ones. I have cheaper (about half as much) Kerma ones. The grip and feel of the Lekis is nicer.... but the Kermas cost less. Bigger baskets impact swing weight - so don't feel quite as nice as a small piste basket. As slong as you have Fliklok cams they shouldn't collapse too easiely. @Alastair Pink, I have a pair of Giprons -- stil my favorourite stick, until end snapped off whilst de-snowing my boots...
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
still kicking myself! Laughing

Is that what you were doing when you fell over and broke it? Laughing
snow conditions
@Scarlet, Laughing
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, seem to recall you have about 15 sets of unmatching pairs of poles? I still laugh when I recall me following yourself, and you skiing some good looking powder S's offpiste down to Zug from top of Madloch with a perfectly good pole in one hand and a 0.4m long grip/ pole stub in the other, thinking to myself - how does he do that?! Laughing
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@Mjit, If the breakage was, erm, user error, and you're not put off them, simply keep buying the same ones. It's inevitable you'll get another matching pair eventually Laughing

That's generally my plan. Finches Emporium in Forest Hill, London have their pre-season open day this Sunday so going to see what they have (over a free beer/with on-the-day discount) and probably get another pair online if nothing else takes my fancy.
ski holidays
You can always extend the grip on a fixed pole with some EVA foam fishing rod handles available on ebay:

Lighter and less fiddly than adjustables but maybe not to everyone's taste.
latest report
@ski, de-snowing your boots? You mean, hitting the boots with sticks? that's how you break your sticks and is otherwise entirely ineffective re snow removal.
snow report
@under a new name, It worked very well! Until the stick broke Sad After several years use....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for all the recommendations: I've ordered a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B091D3WG4K/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item?tag=amz07b-21

I figured why not try these before shelling out up to an order of magnitude more!

Apparently they pack down to c.65cm, and look like they go up to 130 or 135, so should be good for all my needs (including in moguls).
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, seem to recall you have about 15 sets of unmatching pairs of poles? I still laugh when I recall me following yourself, and you skiing some good looking powder S's offpiste down to Zug from top of Madloch with a perfectly good pole in one hand and a 0.4m long grip/ pole stub in the other, thinking to myself - how does he do that?! Laughing

Was a bit more whiney skiing the bump field back from Rendl with Dan late in the day!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy