Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ebay ski purchase EU seller

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interested in buying a pair of 2nd hand skis from an Austrian ebay seller.

Has anybody purchased from an Ebay EU vendor? How does VAT work? Do you get a VAT bill from the courier?

Thank you for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If they use the eBay global shipping service then VAT and duties should all be covered in the shipping charges. I'm not sure how it works though if they ship independently. I would message them and ask.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All of that sounds like a bad idea IMHO.
2nd hand...no idea how much abuse they've had
Ebay...are the photos true to life?
From Europe....the above issues with taxes
How would you return if you needed to and what are the current distance selling rules bringing in from Europe?
Have you no local retailer? They might have access to demo/sample skis...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had two used pairs of skis from private sellers on EU eBay, one from the Netherlands, and one pair from France. Both were really great purchases. You need to ensure that you can clearly see the images of edges, bases, top sheet etc to be sure they are what you expect.

Both pairs I purchased were under €150, not VAT.
Yep there is probably some risk, but provided you do the due diligence it should be minimal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought some skis from a Polish based Ebay Shop. After I had bought and paid, there was a delay in shipping and the seller told me that Polish Customs
insisted that I needed an EORI number (Economic Operators Registration and Identification Number) even though I am not a business.!

Bit of a faff getting one, but the for a pair of nearly new (cheap) Stockli Lasers, I thought it was worth it ... Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
albob,

Did you have to pay separate VAT when the skis landed in UK?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe ebay global shipping has a length limit of 120cm.

The Austrian Ebay seller replied: "there is no additional cost". I can not be sure there may be language misunderstanding!

The ski model and length is exactly what I wanted. The price is good for me to take a chance on the discription if there is no additional 20% tax to pay. The seller has lots of positive feedbacks whatever its worth.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telemark15 wrote:

The Austrian Ebay seller replied: "there is no additional cost". I can not be sure there may be language misunderstanding!

The ski model and length is exactly what I wanted. The price is good for me to take a chance on the discription if there is no additional 20% tax to pay. The seller has lots of positive feedbacks whatever its worth.

sounds like you had made your decision before you asked, so why ask rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telemark15 wrote:
albob,

Did you have to pay separate VAT when the skis landed in UK?

Thanks.

Sorry - can't remember (will see if I can find any emails)

======Edit=====

I had pay 'Import Fees' of £64.22 to UPS ; there was no breakdown of costs : Skis cost £270 (post free) and Ebay order pay does not show any VAT
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
According to this If you buy second-hand goods from a private individual in the UK you will not be charged VAT, for the obvious reason that they are not VAT registered.

However, when you buy second-hand goods from a trader using one of the second-hand margin schemes you will be charged VAT on the profit margin, but as a condition of the scheme you will not be issued with a VAT invoice and you will not be able to recover the VAT you are charged.

I don't know if the same applies to imported second hand goods and obviously customs duty is a separate matter. Good luck!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all the replies. No, I have not made up my mind.
I am one of those who enjoy reseaching holidays almost more than going on it. Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've bought a couple of pairs from EU. One from ebay and one direct from the ebay sellers website - it was cheaper. Both arrived as described and there was no tax to pay. It said that would be the case on their site. They were good value and zero hassle, they just turned up at my door.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi B,

Just to double check, your ski purchases are after BREXIT? (sorry for asking the obvious)

Could you share the Ebay seller website please?

Thank you for sharing your experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
telemark15 wrote:

sounds like you had made your decision before you asked, so why ask rolling eyes

He's made the decision that he'd like to buy the skis but, before pressing the button, is asking if VAT is payable. Nothing wrong with that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi

I bought some new telemark boots and bindings from France post Brexit- from a Telemark shop- a nightmare.

Don't know about eBay- but some shops (for example an eBay shop from Italy selling boots) won't sell to the UK because of the faff (but that is for new old stock).

Prepare for hassle!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy