Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go after 4 years in Montgenevre?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, hoping for some advice soonish if poss. Looking for a resort to visit after 4 years in montgenevre, travelling as a family of 4 incl a 14 and 12 year old. All competent, 2 less confident than other 2.

looking for a resort not dissimilar to Monty that isn’t too busy (though Feb 2023 felt notably busier than previously) offers good mix of runs with plenty of cruisey blues and reds, some tree-lined runs a bonus, sadly not fussed about apres these days as youngest not keen on loud/busy venues. Ski in, ski out ideal but not a must.

Going w/c 30 March 1 week. France (as taking train not flying otherwise would consider Austria)

Current shortlist includes La Rosiere (seems snow sure but south facing might mean late March/ early April could be risky?), Val Thorens (£££!), just been reading about Val Cenis. Maybe Les Arcs?

Pre-children, went to La Plagne and Meribel and loved (also St Anton - hated, runs too tricky and scary) but not so keen on mega resorts these days and think we’d find them too busy after Montgenevre, rightly or wrongly. And does that rule out Val Thorens?

Am I missing anywhere obvious (or less obvious - considered Sainte Foy but think ski area too limited - we like to bomb about and pack a full day in every day conditions allowing)

Would really welcome and appreciate any advice. Looking to book with Peak Retreats asap.

Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Down the road from Montgenevre lies Serre Chevalier. I believe the resort states that over 80% of its slopes are above 2000m, and it's mainly north-facing. Could be good for the time of year that you're looking at, and has the type of skiing that you're after. Train to Briancon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Serre Chevalier
2. Risoul-Vars
3. Meribel
4. Les Arcs 1800
5. Avoriaz
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also love Montgenevre.

Les Arcs would be good. It is obviously larger and busier but has the combination of runs above and below the tree line and a good snow record. We like staying in Arc 2000.

La Rosiere is mainly south facing but normally has very good snow depths by March and is linked to la thuile which has north facing slopes. We went there in the second week of April in a mild year and there was still very good snow. I’d recommend it but definitely ski on the Italian side as well which tends to be less busy.

Val cenis is ok but it is all north facing and less cruisy than Montgenevre. I prefer the skiing in Montgenevre, Les arcs and la rosiere.

I found Sainte Foy too small with too many Brits but the runs are all enjoyable.

Val thorens is definitely more expensive in terms of lift pass and eating out. I like places with more trees! Although it does have the advantage of being high and snow sure.

The Grand massif is a varied and scenic ski area but parts of it are lower. Flaine is fairly snow sure but it depends if you like the architecture. I prefer staying in Les carroz and skiiing over to Flaine.

We have been to all the above with Peak Retreats.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few years ago we went to Les Arcs 2000 early April with similar needs.
We chose it after @snowymum 's recommendation, was an excellent choice.
And it's connected to 1950 by a small gondola till late hours for more catering options
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@drporat, thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed Les Arcs. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Arcs ford appeal but have read quite a few review elsewhere elsewhere saying it’s become overcrowded in recent years. Did anyone experience that?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Arcs is an obvious possibility given your choice of train travel. The higher resorts in La Plagne down the road might fit your needs even more closely. Many other places would qualify if the snow is good, but that week is a bit more risky if you aren't reasonably high.

I don't think French resorts will be too crowded those weeks around Easter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's with the French obsession? The food is meh and daftly expensive and who wants to ski with wall to wall Brits? From Yah Yahs to mouthy self taught Northerners? ........Incoming!

Montgenevre is a nice resort, La Ros is pants (My opinion, many will disagree). For a Mont G+, you're looking on the wrong side of the border I reckon. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 3-11-23 11:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CloughieCambs, I think you’d be fine in Les arcs that week as it isn’t french school holidays and there should be good snow cover. The only time I found it too busy was between Christmas and new year in a poor snow year when a lot of runs were shut. I particularly like the run down to vilaroger and the peisey vallandry area which are scenic and tend to be the quietest. If I were going back there I’d probably stay at la source des arcs in 2000 but there are lots of good places to choose from. If your kids are still in ski school I think Les arcs would be your best option as you would be able to quickly get back for pick up.

La rosiere would be a really good option if the kids are beyond ski school as you would have time to ski over to la thuile which definitely has the slightly off the beaten track feel of Montgenevre. However if you are tied to ski school pick up you might find it harder to make the most of the ski area. We have been to la rosiere four times and I’d highly recommend Alparena apartments.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure how to reply on here @mollerski as new to this website, but I’m not obsessed with France other than we want to travel by train so it seems the easiest option. Definitely don’t want to be surrounded by Brits, quite the opposite - in fact we were a bit disappointed that Montgenevre seemed to have a lot more Brits in 2023 than any other year, and loads of school trips too.
That said: where would you suggest?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowymum - thanks so much for that info. So helpful. Sounds like either would be good. Alperena is full sadly, as is Alpen Lodge so looking at Cimes Blanche - do you know that one? Any feedback?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CloughieCambs, Click on the blue screen name in the left hand column to reply. The train does restrict you a little. The small to medium Italian resorts would give you more of the MontG+ experience that I'm getting that you're looking for. The French mega resorts definitely won't.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mollerski, thanks Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CloughieCambs, yes we have stayed in Les Cimes Blanches twice and it is also in a really good location. It has a nice pool and steam room etc. it is about ten years older than Alparena and Alpen Lodge but then I expect it is also cheaper. You would also be able to stop for lunches on the terrace of Hotel Alparena which is next door. There is at least one apartment block at Cimes Blanches which is newer than the rest so you could request that.
ski holidays
@Mollerski, problem with going to the right side of the border this year will be the Paris -Turin train not running - that landslide near Modane has shut it for a while asI understand it.

@CloughieCambs, in case you want to go further afield on the train, IainM on here has this website. https://skiflightfree.org/ Some useful tips on where you can get to and how long it takes. snowHead
snow report
CloughieCambs wrote:
Not sure how to reply on here @mollerski as new to this website, but I’m not obsessed with France other than we want to travel by train so it seems the easiest option. Definitely don’t want to be surrounded by Brits, quite the opposite - in fact we were a bit disappointed that Montgenevre seemed to have a lot more Brits in 2023 than any other year, and loads of school trips too.
That said: where would you suggest?

I'm guessing that the reason Montgenevre was busier last year was due to the poor snow and people being bussed in from other resorts...therefore the British school trip people you saw were probably staying in Italy in Sauze D'Oulx! I know there is one school trip place in Montgenevre itself but I think most school trips stay on the Italian side.
snow conditions
Always find it a bit odd people talking about the skiing with a lot of Brits when a) they are British and most of their life surrounded by Brits and b) who cares what nationality other people on the slopes are - I don't talk or meet 99.9% of them.

And the French megaresorts are popular for a reason. I am not saying everyone should go there but they are great for those that appreciate what they have. I agree in the OP case it may not suit but that's another matter.

If training it there are lots of articles you can google and threads on here you can find through search that can aid your research (and it's not limited to France).

Nowhere will be busy 30th March so I wouldn't worry on that score.

Les Arcs is convenient for the train for sure - and there are runs for everybody for sure - and if you like to bomb about get a Paradiski pass and go for it. As above though it's a megaresort.
latest report
To throw a curve ball, the Grand Massif is worth considering - we took the train there this year and it was a lovely journey. Morillon would be a good base for you from what you say, or perhaps Les Carroz.
ski holidays
@CloughieCambs, I don't know Montgenevre very well. It was over 30 years ago and there was almost no snow so I have no comparison in my mind.

However, I have skied a lot at Easter, even when Easter was very late and always had a good time. As we now have an apartment in Arc1600 we go there every Christmas and Easter. Easter almost always has the better snow. As end of March/early April is not in school holidays I do not expect any of the big resorts to be busy and as you plan to go by train to me the obvios destination is one of the Tarrentaise resorts. Change trains by crossing London, crossing Paris and again probably in Chambery (out of curiosity do they still do the sleeper to Briancon?). My recollection is that it takes about 15 hours from the Midlands to Les Arcs.

Last year we went to Les Arcs 1600 at the very end of April and the skiing was good until the last day of the season when it rained. At the start of April the snow and skiing is usually fine. Personnaly I would avoid La Rosiere that late (I have skied there in April), but all the usual contenders would be fine: Tignes, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Coucheval, Les Menuires would be my top list.
snow report
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies
latest report
@Layne, interested as to why you agree may not suit us? Any feedback welcome as lots here in praise of Les arcs

Re Brits, personally I find it nicer not to hear the language I hear all year round when on holiday as it adds to the feeling of being somewhere different. Horses for courses I guess.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Always find it a bit odd people talking about the skiing with a lot of Brits when a) they are British and most of their life surrounded by Brits and b) who cares what nationality other people on the slopes are - I don't talk or meet 99.9% of them.

I find it odd that you find it odd. Do you prefer British food when abroad? Is not most of the point of a holiday to go away and experience something different to that which we have to put up with when at home? Personally, I love to immerse myself in the local culture. Not be surrounded by culturally identical people (Brits) in a different location. I live in Cornwall, we are awash with holidaying Brits for 10 months of the year, which is fine. It pays our bills, but for me to then holiday with the same people? No thanks. I need a break. wink
snow report
Layne wrote:

I grew up (& still occasionally go) skiing a week or two a year somewhere where I have encountered approximately 3 other (small) groups of English-speakers in total, between c. 1985 & 2018. The experience is very, very different from a French mega-resort, in many different ways, from behaviour on the pistes (& in lift queues) to how people interact with others they don't know to levels and experience of skiing & norms of behaviour: & it's not at all unreasonable to have a preference for one over the other.

There are lots of reasons for the differences, from the range (& price) of places to eat on the slopes & drink afterwards, to the higher proportion of locals there for the day or weekend, to the motivation for being there in the first place (& there rather than anywhere else). And it's certainly not all down to the presence of 'Brits' (but to an English-speaker they're often more immediately noticeable than, say, Parisians). So maybe the presence of many Brits serves primarily as an index of many other things that lots of us would rather avoid (or will put up with if going to certain places at certain times). But then there are certain kinds of behaviour on the slopes that seem common to a sizeable proportion of British men in particular, from university and even school groups to groups of men in their sixties or even older: all things being equal, I'd rather avoid high concentrations of these if possible (just as there were parts of Berlin that I started to avoid while I lived there once they started to become frequented by regular stag weekends and the like).
ski holidays
We tend to like going to the lesser known French resorts as I studied french as part of my degree and it is nice to go to places where one can converse with the locals. I like french food more than Italian food.

I also only know a few words of Italian which was an issue when I once injured myself in an Italian resort and the piste rescue service person spoke no English and gave me a long form to read in Italian. This isn't to say I don't enjoy skiing over to Italy from the french resorts that are linked ie Montgenevre and La Rosiere but I prefer to base myself in France as it is easier to get to by car or train and there is generally a higher standard of self catering accommodation with pools/spa etc in France.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Do you prefer British food when abroad?

No idea where you live in the UK but within 10 miles of me there is pretty much any cuisine in the world available. As it happens I self cater when I go skiing so all the food is UK inspired with ingredients from a French supermarket. Plus of course French cheese and wine. I would love to get a good pint of cask ale in the 3V's but alas.

Mollerski wrote:
Is not most of the point of a holiday to go away and experience something different to that which we have to put up with when at home?

I don't "put up" with anything at home in particular. When I go skiing the different experience is being in the mountains. It's not a particularly sociable holiday - I ski with the people I go with, if I went to a bar/restaurant I would go with the people I go with. I basically ski, eat/drink, sleep. It's not a like a holiday where I am looking at architecture and going to museums - or living on a ranch.

Mollerski wrote:
Personally, I love to immerse myself in the local culture.

Me too on a normal holiday but can't really do that when skiing.

Mollerski wrote:
Not be surrounded by culturally identical people (Brits) in a different location.

I find Brits quite a varied bunch but anyway even though there are more Brits in say the 3V/La Plagne there are plenty of other nationalities. I've also skied in places like La Norma and Les Contamines but the experience was the same.

Mollerski wrote:
I live in Cornwall, we are awash with holidaying Brits for 10 months of the year, which is fine. It pays our bills, but for me to then holiday with the same people? No thanks. I need a break. wink

Are skiers tourists? I don't know, I find it a bit different. Bit like if I went on a sailing holiday - where the sport is really what it's about.
ski holidays
@JayRo, where ever I roam I tend to find the locals pretty much like Brits - there are a few dickheads but general there are a good bunch. The French are actually pretty famed for their surly nature and gallic shrug. I certainly don't go to France for the customer service. But it has a certain charm.
snow conditions
CloughieCambs wrote:
@Layne, interested as to why you agree may not suit us? Any feedback welcome as lots here in praise of Les arcs

Because you said "not so keen on mega resorts these days" and there will be plenty of British voices.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy